Where were you 13 years ago today?

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
I was in 2nd period; Biology I with lab when Ifound out. I remember what seat I was in, the shirt my teacher was wearing and the kids sitting directly around me.

I don't remember anything like that from high school except from this tradgic date...

Where were you?

I was in college in Pittsburgh. After 1st class I went to the toot-n-scoot gas station to get a cup of coffee. lady at the counter asked me " you work over at the airport, hear about that plane crash in NY?" I blew it off as maybe some small private plane. Little did I know. I still work in aviation, this event affects my life everyday.

I was at a job site in new Albany , Ohio . I can also remember each vivid detail of that day . All of the trades sitting and listening to the dewalt job site radio , the dead silence of no air traffic only minutes away from port Columbus . The long lines at every gas station on my 70 mile trip home . Truly a day we all will never forget !

I was aerating the Bay Village baseball coaches lawn. He came out the sliding door and said the tower in Ny was hit .
I stopped working to see the second plane crash into tower 2 .
The school called to send Jack home from kindergarten .... As I got that call I saw a plane make a u- turn above me. It turned out to be the plane that crashed in Pennsylvania.
I sent all my workers home and went home myself to meet my wife and son from school.
I will never forget that day.

Looking at that day it couldn't if been more perfect.

There was not a cloud in the sky over the entire USA.

How lucky those hijackers got. Best possible conditions to wreck a plane into a building.

I was leaving my shop and my office manager came out to tell me the first plane crashed into the tower. She was always a glass is half empty person. So when she started carrying on about terrorists I blew it off as a tragic accident......until I heard on the radio about the 2nd aircraft. Then I was thinking WTF is this world coming to?

Got home and was glued to the tv for the rest of the night.

I was at my home office listening to it live and saw both go down live..
I still feel sick thinking about it..

Hearing some of the audio today on the radio of people stuck in that building made me tear up. You could hear in their voices they knew they were going to die.

A lady said "the room is filling with smoke. We are on the 83 floor. Is anyone coming ? Are we going to die. I feel like nobody is comig. "

I was 5 years old in 1970 and still remember Vietnam news coverage on the television until it was over in 75. It made impressions on me even at that age.

After all of that in the early to mid 70's it seemed like big impacting news stories were quite rare. And of course there was no real war coverage again of any kind for many years.

At eleven years old in 6th grade they showed us the Holocaust story and films in school. Still remember kids in our class crying through that. Again, major impression and impact on your life to see this. My God... could this of really happened I was asking myself?

And then 9/11 arrived. Standing there watching the TV screen at work just moments after coverage began. Again.... My god... our world just changed! It will never be the same again.

We've witnessed some historical events over the last 20 years that will forever be regarded as major news events and life changing.

I walked out of a Learjet simulator in Atlanta, within minutes of the first tower collapse. Walking thru the training center to a room with TV, passing flight attendants sitting on the floor crying, and airline pilots saying how the cockpits need to be armed. Got there and watched the second tower collapse, and hear about the one in Washington, and another in PA. Watching desperate people jumping from the highest floors of the remaining tower. People walking out like shell-shocked snowmen.Trying to call home, the office...no service. Wondering how wide is the attack. Thinking it was a beautiful day, and how it must have worked right into their plan. Wondering what we were going to get home to.

We went back into our classroom and figured we'd better go ahead and finish, because we'd have jobs when things got back to normal. Our instructor was this little 5' 2" southern belle named Anna. She crawls up into her chair (a lot like a high bar chair), and says,"I don't know about any of you guys, but I think we need to go over there, and kick some ass!" We laid out a plan that those watching the news non-stop would come knock on our door anytime something new came on, and we'd go see it. We were the only class that completed training that week.

Got home to find out our CEO had been on the 90-something floor of the first tower on the 10th. The company plane he was traveling on broke down, so he got a charter home. My supervisor and a mechanic flew back on the charter to fix it and bring it back. That mechanic had never seen NYC, and marveled at the lights as they came in to land. The next morning, he watched the towers collapse from his hotel room window.

The feelings today are the same as they were that day. We can NEVER forget.

7th Grade lunch.... I don't think you will ever hear/ see a 7-8th grade lunch room so calm, and quiet like that ever again.

It was also very, very strange to look up in the sky that afternoon and see absolutely no jet streams across the sky or horizon as they shut down all air traffic across the country. A rare sight.

Somewhere near the Fitzroy River, southeast of Broome Australia, riding a TTr400.
Didn't know about the attack until 2 days later when we came into a camp that
had others in it, mostly tourists in an Oka
Sydney%20OKA%204x4.JPG

An Austrian couple that was part of the group came over and asked us "what do you
think of all this?" and I answered, pulling a green can of Emu Bitter out of the waiting
truck, "I've got a green can, been riding all day, ready for a swim, live is good".

They responded, " you know that terrorists knocked down the world trade center
in NY don't you".

Say what??

Much satellite phone communication ensued. And a totally stupid trip, partly at
110 mph across the great sandy desert (they may never have found our bones if
we screwed up) back to Perth to sit in a hotel until planes started flying again.

I was 5 years old in 1970 and still remember Vietnam news coverage on the television until it was over in 75. It made impressions on me even at that age.

After all of that in the early to mid 70's it seemed like big impacting news stories were quite rare. And of course there was no real war coverage again of any kind for many years.

At eleven years old in 6th grade they showed us the Holocaust story and films in school. Still remember kids in our class crying through that. Again, major impression and impact on your life to see this. My God... could this of really happened I was asking myself?

And then 9/11 arrived. Standing there watching the TV screen at work just moments after coverage began. Again.... My god... our world just changed! It will never be the same again.

We've witnessed some historical events over the last 20 years that will forever be regarded as major news events and life changing.
Yes. But now they do not show the 9-11 footage cause it will make people mad. I want everyone to stay mad! This P.C. crap is ruining our country

Yes. But now they do not show the 9-11 footage cause it will make people mad. I want everyone to stay mad! This P.C. crap is ruining our country

I was working in my home office. The UPS man arrived and told me. I turned on the TV just in time to see the 2nd plane crash live. I though it was a replay of video of the first crash. Then I realized it was not a "plane crash" and that we were under attack.

I remember wondering where they would hit next, and how. I checked my personal inventory of arms and ammunition. I pondered the unlikely prospects of a 39 year olf getting into the military.

What I remember most is a nation united against a common enemy instead of divided against itself. I was appalled at how quickly that cause was to be abandoned by so much of the public, and I'm not surprised we face the same threat again only 13 years later.

As much as I want to be wrong, I think the recent beheading videos are only the beginning of many reminders to come.

I was in 2nd period; Biology I with lab when Ifound out. I remember what seat I was in, the shirt my teacher was wearing and the kids sitting directly around me.

I don't remember anything like that from high school except from this tradgic date...

Where were you?

I was a toddler and do not remember, but right now im in 2nd period biology

Back