Old bike guys.....A few Questions

Having never been to your facility I don't know if it would be possible but you might consider extending your C track into a grassy area to add a " grass track " feel . A big grassy sweeper , offcamber , "G"out , etc. are popular with most of the older , short travel bike crowd and all it takes is some ribbon and stakes to mark it out . I've ridden vintage tracks that had some decent sized table tops and " singles " too though .

Randy, Jeremy had a hillside grass track setup for old bikes a few years ago. That was most fun I've had on the 400 Husky. Had that tingly feeling happening too under the high-voltage lines.

Yeah but you don't have to do 100% of the tear down before the Sunday race. Just enough to take both tracks back to MX only.
DO IT DO IT DO IT!

What John said... What tear down? Leave the GP course alone. String some banners across the GP/MX transitions and race MX.

Randy, Jeremy had a hillside grass track setup for old bikes a few years ago. That was most fun I've had on the 400 Husky. Had that tingly feeling happening too under the high-voltage lines.

That sucked !!!... and it was lame too! :D
I like the grass stuff but has to be more than just banners and tape coursing up a flat field. Gotta have varying elevation features.

I find myself questioning what it is that I like about GP racing?
I don't particularly care for woods racing or Hare Scrambles. I don't like dodging trees or crossing creeks. But if the GP course is wide enough and flows well you actually sort of forget that you still actually are doing some woods racing, especially since it merges on and off from the MX track.
And then of course with the race being at least 45 minutes long it becomes very intense, focused and competitive. Endurance and fitness becomes a huge factor. I want to forget that I am racing through the woods and just want it to fell like I'm on one big long MX or "old school scrambles" track.

It kind of depressed me when I read that the Log Road race held 8 lap moto's. That's my kind of racing intead of these short quicky sprints.

I actual liked the little grass track, I thought it was fun, but I'm a novice 2 stroke grass track rider.

I think if we get a Harley rake for the woods, most of you guys would like GPs, we just need to prep the trails somewhat.

Masters of MX ran odd Motos ARMA and even Motos Vets at Tommahawk it was a good time. Vets ran 6 laps ARMA ran 4.

The '75 Kaw will be finished this winter so I am down with a Old Dude / Old Bike weekend.
Please keep a limit to the number of classes (I know, shocker that I would say that) Just do class 1= pre 1974, Class 2 = pre 1980 and Class 3 = Pre 1990. Class 4 = 0-125cc, Class 5 = 126 - Open. No need to break it up by ABCD or E

The '75 Kaw will be finished this winter so I am down with a Old Dude / Old Bike weekend.
Please keep a limit to the number of classes (I know, shocker that I would say that) Just do class 1= pre 1974, Class 2 = pre 1980 and Class 3 = Pre 1990. Class 4 = 0-125cc, Class 5 = 126 - Open. No need to break it up by ABCD or E

limited yes, but if your talking this many classes then "class 3" is a less than great choice for the years it's spanning. Keep in mind that 1980-84 bikes (no disc brakes) are popular years for post vintage/EVO racing with the AMA and AHRMA, it doesn't make sense to mix an existing popular group of older bikes in with newer bikes that have upside down front forks and disc brakes front AND rear...1989 RM250 vs 1980 RM250? Keeping some sort of "of like design" thought in the mix makes sense.

mooch, I agree with you but since both the AMA and ahrma already have a classification ending around 83 or 84 (depending on the brand) I was trying to include a broader range that would include 85 to 89. Do I think an 82 can hang with an 89, no. but I do think it has a better chance then most may thing.
how about: #1 pre 74, #2 pre 84, #3 pre 94

No need to break it up by ABCD or E

I felt like an "E" after the Briarcliff Battle race :D

I raced MX at COCR yesterday. I had a really good time and the day went well, aside from a very light turnout. I've liked COCR since the first time I've rode the track in that it is a nice layout with rolling hills. Later in the day, reflecting back it occurred to me that "again", the track is a very fast jumpy track with little else in the way of challenging track sections. No rollers, no whoops, off cambers or any of the other stuff that I see in track pictures and race videos. Sure it flows well, but there has to be more to motocross than just 50 different styles of jumps and a few rutted corners.
Not meaning to be critical or to criticize our Ohio MX tracks but for me, they are just lacking simple little things that keep it really, really fun. GP course's seems to address this issue somewhat. Less man made stuff and a more natural course. (Not a Speed Freeway as I've read it described and without the tight woodsy stuff).

And please keep in mind... I love racing motocross, and I like jumps.
I guess I'm prone to thinking that this is what holds some vets back from coming to race days.

Last edited:
I would say its a no for 2015. After speaking with a number of people the general consensus was the turn out would be at best Ok.

We do plan to bring back our GP race next year. We will see how that goes.

No need to break it up by ABCD or E
I always kind of thought it silly to break them up by A, B, C, D, E, F, G, etc until the gate is full. Score them seperately sure, but why give 7 or 8 dudes their own gate. Could always run 40+ with Women and let then go first gate drop...

I would say its a no for 2015. After speaking with a number of people the general consensus was the turn out would be at best Ok.

Ahh...shucks. Kinda got excited reading this thread. All good I guess. I'll probably run the GP. ;) 'Tis fun 'tis...

You are missing the boat if you consider turnout in the same way you would for a traditional MX race. The AMA Vintage races this year had lower than desired turnout for sure, 70+ /- was pretty typical. I think there are a couple of differences, first is that the entry fee was $50 for each class, $40 if you register online, most of us raced multiple classes. I raced 2 classes each time so I paid $100 to race that day, Dieter from Strongsville, raced 4 classes each time for a $200 daily entry fee, and team Babbitt raced up to 6 with senior in 2 and Jake in up to 4 so he paid $300 for a days racing. So while the absolute number of participants may be lower, the revenue can be significant. Plus we don't bring our "MOTO DAD's" and that's worth something. The other opportunity that some events did not promote was the non current classes, and if they like modern support classes. So you could host 1974 Honda Elsinore's up to 2015 KTM Factory bikes. I also expect a renewed promotion and marketing campaign for vintage and local MX next year.

II can't comment on highpoint. Me experience this year was the AMA National Vintage series, gate fees were $10 - $15, also a number of the races had practice on Saturday evening 4 -6pm or something similar, at Log Road the gate fee for the 2 hour practice was only $5, + $20 practice fee. And then a $15 gate fee + race fees for Sunday.

How about throwing a bone with a old bike class at the GP?

Back