Alibaba IPO? Anybody get in on it?

LuckyStar64

PR Addict
I was about three days late trying to place my order (at the IPO price anyway). Were any of y'all able to get anything? I may be able to get something next week if the stock does well, but it will likely be above $80, and likely $85 if it gets there. I imagine it will in the next month or so if the multiple reaches parity with say... Facebook? I'm a little scared of IPO's these days, especially with a Chinese based company. --L*64

It (the IPO) is not for a china based company. It's a holding company based in the Cayman
Islands. Stockholders will have very limited rights to anything, including picking board
members of the actual Alibaba. China does not allow foreign ownership of strategic
assets and has all kinds of other rules that make no sense to a US investor.
If anything about China's rules change, BABA stockholders will have no say in
what the company does about it. The management will and their goals may
not be the same as stockholders goals.

Some people are poised to make a lot of money. Which means others are going
to lose a lot of money.

Some people are poised to make a lot of money. Which means others are going
to lose a lot of money.

So we're talking a zero-sum game? Things can get complicated when dealing with the Chinese communists. Kind of like the ultimate in cronyism?

There has been a lot of gab about it on Nightly Business Report over last 2 weeks but many investors they interviewed on the program had issues about it. Biggest IPO in history and many skeptics and criticisms.

Sturd-- You seem pretty knowledgeable about Alibaba. How do you you know so much? Or is it just that you're a long time investor? I watch alot of CNBC (Kelly Evans is hot!), and they have been talking about declines in the small caps, the Russell, and cheaper gas prices as indicators of a semi-major correction. My own take is that it may be a time to buy some stocks on the dip. Do ya watch CNBC at all? --L*64

Alibaba = scary..although I have bought some stuff through their website. Fun talking with the Chinese.

I wish I would have dumped a lot into GPRO when it opened :( :( :(

GoPro has definitely had a good run. I wouldn't look at not getting into a stock on the ground floor as a miss when you're talking about a solid company with a good game plan, unless you were planning on jumping in and out on the short term. I guess I have an old school buy and hold train of thought. GoPro is everywhere now, with room to grow in my opinion. I'm in it for the whole series so to speak, and while a home run would be nice-- I'm looking down the road. --L*64

You've been quite the saavy investor Pit! I'm at the point where I don't want to buy in the perceived high, although I thought Netflix was at a high a long time ago, but it just kept climbing. Before all the volitility in the markets this month, the markets had been trading sideways for quite some time. That indicates to me that the old cielings may be the new base lines. With Ebola, Greece/Europe in recession, and the slowdown in China going on-- I'm staying away from individual stocks for now. I would likely liquidate that GoPro now, and hold the cash until there's another dip. (There has been one this week) Once the news starts looking better-- I might buy it or something else back up. ---L*64

Sturd-- You seem pretty knowledgeable about Alibaba. How do you you know so much? Or is it just that you're a long time investor? I watch alot of CNBC (Kelly Evans is hot!), and they have been talking about declines in the small caps, the Russell, and cheaper gas prices as indicators of a semi-major correction. My own take is that it may be a time to buy some stocks on the dip. Do ya watch CNBC at all? --L*64

Yes I'm a long time investor, though mostly in my own company. No I don't watch any teevee unless there is a race on.
Wall Street Journal and NYTimes every day though.

Cheaper gas prices are a result of larger supply, as always.

Back