Modding a pw50 for an adult?

Clint1991

PR Addict
I got a pw50 for the kid, how wants nothing to do with it so I had it out today tuning the carb and getting it running smooth and started riding it. Actually was having a blast, other then my knees hitting the bars. Lol it is also pretty gutless. Are there mods for these for adults that want me for pit toys? If so help me in the right direction, if anything I'll sell it and get an actual pit bike.

The easiest mod is the top end "big bore". The YT 60 TriZinger uses the same motor, but the same cylinder had a bigger bore. People used to bore the stock cylinder out for the OEM YT60 pistons.

Now you can buy the Chinese 60cc top ends on ebay cheap, and the porting is much better on them. Be aware that the Chinese 50cc cylinders cannot be bore for the YT60 pistons like the stock one can.

The other weak link in the system is the exhaust which is incredibly restrictive. I'm sure they offer aftermarket for the PW50. On the TriZingers running a big bike silencer on the end of the straight header is a huge improvement. DG makes a YT pipe that uses expansion chamber, but they are really expensive.

I found a couple sites that are nothing but pw mods, everything is pretty cheap to. They have high bar kits, wider pegs, suspension lifts, exhaust, big bore kits, different size gear reduction. Etc...

Go get a regular pit bike.... I've ridden a PW50 before, and aside from it being barely able to even go with me on it-- the chassis won't hold up to an adult riding it. It may have been fun for 5 minutes, but you'd be done with it in 20 minutes, and ready to get a regular play(pit) bike. --L*64

Well, took a case of beer and the 50 out to my buddys today for his kids bday party. Let the kids play on em for a bit then it was time for the dads to have some fun, and we broke all the bikes in some way or another. The jr 50 won't hardly move with an adult on it now and the spokes are done for, the pw's bars are twisted and bent down and the suspension is clapped out. Those bikes arent designed to get off the ground thats for sure. So now I guess it's time to take sugestions on the best play bikes to hold up to moto dads with a buzz. lol

hahaha! I told ya! If I were you-- I'd grab a stock KLX, or grab a bigger bike like a KLX140, or a CRF150F. Both great play (pit) bikes, but IMO, the 150F is easier, and cheaper to go with. You can run the stock pipe with the baffle pulled, and Hlebo can mod the stock suspension to take any landing the motor can launch the bike over short of riding it off a cliff. A 150R front fender bolts right up, and I'd imagine the 2015 side panels will bolt right up to give the bike a more modern look. The 140 is super cool, lighter than the behemoth 150F, and comes with disc brakes. You will need to run a pipe, and have somebody do something with the stock suspension. A UFO "new style" KX85 front fender will be in order as well.

We've been having a ball riding at the AC mini track on Thursday nights. A bunch of adults have been coming out with a few more getting bikes this winter for next year. Keep me posted on what ya get. --L*64

I was riding my buddy's litt brothers crf80 big wheel and it was pretty fun, I don't want something to big. Me and my buddy's are gonna try and stay with the clown car size. Lol

CRF150F & CRF150R may be what youre thinking of? F is more of a trail bike, R is the 80 but 4 stroke.

I have a 150F, the suspension sucks and its slow as hell but fun to put around on.

Bill-- mot sure how much you weigh, but I race my 150F in the pit bike races, and all I did was send my stock shock to John Hlebo. He revalves it, and puts a schrader valve on it to charge it. Once it's done-- it works really well believe it or not. I'd love to do something better with the suspension on the bike, but I like to just enjoy it for what it is, and ride the living $h!t out of it! --L*64

Bill-- mot sure how much you weigh, but I race my 150F in the pit bike races, and all I did was send my stock shock to John Hlebo. He revalves it, and puts a schrader valve on it to charge it. Once it's done-- it works really well believe it or not. I'd love to do something better with the suspension on the bike, but I like to just enjoy it for what it is, and ride the living $h!t out of it! --L*64

~170. Who is this John Hlebo fella? I've been thinking about a 150R fork/shock swap.

Hlebo Bros suspension. I wouldn't bother with the 150R setup unless you want coolness. I'd bet that if you did the revalve for $200 (I'd keep the stock rear spring), and .40- .42 straight rate Cannon springs with the Hlebo damping rod mod, you'd love it. Like I said-- these mods have got me over anything the motor would propel the bike over. I race mine in the pit/play bike races, and I don't want to be that guy that wins the races b/c of my ride. I leave the damn thing showroom stock, other than pulling the baffle outta the exhuast, and the Hlebo mods to the stock suspension. Like I said-- I like to just enjoy the bike for what it is, and it's perfect for the AC mini track where it spends most of its' time.

If you DO do the 150R suspension mods, ya better limit the travel somehow to 9.5 inches unless you want to bury the cases in the dirt landing from jumps. The 150F has about 10.5 inches of ground clearance at the cases, and 150R suspension has almost 11 inches of travel.... soooo when ya do the math..... yep. I may mod out my other 150F, but ideally, you want to be able to race an $800- $1000 bike in the pit/play bike races, or nobody will want to show up. Ya start racing expensive and fully built bikes, and nobody wants to come race. That's why I just race a cheapo stock bike, and ride it like I stole it! --L*64

Back