Kentucky State Motocross Championship

Alex186

PR Member
As most of you know, Kentucky Motocross has really been going downhill over the past few years. I have some opinions why, but either way (let's not be negative, glass is half-full). Kentucky was my home and stomping grounds for 26 years. Seeing some old friends from Kentucky while at the Dude Ranch in August, we agreed something needed to be done.

As a attempt to support grassroots racing in Kentucky, working with a couple of organizers (some new), a Kentucky State Motocross Championship was created. Starting small in 2014, taking advantage of the great Fall Kentucky weather.

Round 1: October 26th - Russell Creek Off-Road Park
Round 2: November 2nd - Daniel Boone Motocross Park

Check out the www.kystatemx.com for details.
  • Champions will earn a AMA #1 Kentucky State Championship plate
  • ALL 50cc classes and the 90cc ATV class will get FREE race entries
  • 200% payback in A classes
  • Will feature a special Non-current class (98 & Older)
We're working hard to get the area organized and functioning more efficient for the racers in the area. Much like the OMA works here in Ohio. We already have more facilities interested in hosting rounds in 2015. This is the small step before a big step forward. Again, sorry for the shameless plug.

Alex Hunter
AMA Motocross Operational Coordinator

Alex,

There's nothing like the Kentucky terrain for motocross. Horseshoe Bend and Ballance were two great facilities. It's always about 5 degrees warmer down there offering riding opportunities deeper into the fall and sooner in the spring. Please know you have PitRacer's full support. There are a ton of human resources on here that can help you along your journey. Best of luck.

Great job!

An added bonus of bringing more young riders to our sport with FREE race entries for the young ones!

I hope the OMA took note of that one!!!

If anybody want a pre race practice event the AMA Vintage nationals will be held next Saturday October 4th at Russell Creek, there are modern bike classes also.

Wanted to give a update on the Kentucky State Championship. Thanks for all the support. I've been spending a lot of personal time trying to elevate/rehab Kentucky Motocross.

The Vintage National was at Russell Creek this past Saturday which I attended for the first time. This 1,000 acre facility is a diamond in the rough. The facility is lacking on some areas with the P.A. System, Registration building, website and other areas. But I hope to continue to support and help build up their infrastructure. The track itself is relatively narrow (race line) but the layout and dirt is amazing (some rocks in some places). Fast, rolling hills, natural burns, natural rolling whoop sections. The owners are a great family who have a lifetime in motocross and off-road racing experience, hopefully good things are coming. As of now, there is a hare-scramble scheduled for the Saturday of the Kentucky State Championship (no connection) so there will be no open practice on Saturday.

I then made the 90 minute journey over to Daniel Boone MX to visit the facility. Daniel Boone MX is under new management from a couple of former Pro riders and they've spent ton of energy on the track itself. Semi-truck loads of sawdust have been trucked in and the pond in the valley is slowly being excavated to put the top soil on the track. Almost a complete new layout. I've asked that the facility have some beautification, clean up the track and rain-ruts in the pits before their Kentucky State Championship. They also have some website issues, which I've asked they have worked out before the event. Also their working to build a podium to interview and hand out the AMA KY State #1 plates. They are have a Halloween themed weekend which should be great. Daniel Boone MX will have a scheduled open practice on Saturday.

See the www.kystatemx.com website for updates and information.

Alex Hunter
AMA Motocross Coordinator

Nice job Saturday at Russell Creek. Perfect track for the vintage bikes- I ran the Modern bike support class on Saturday, as I tagged along with a buddy to see what this vintage stuff was all about. Russell Creek is pretty tame, but well a run event and if it had a bigger turnout, it wouldn't be as one lined. I preferred passing in the rough and adding lines. The track is fine, it could use some bigger/more modern jumps but it's setup for the old bikes, understood- fair enough. Hopefully they grow from here. The dirt was great with fine sawdust, small amounts of clay and sand. It was almost like the stuff the little children play with called Moon Sand. SUPER GOOD. By the end of the day, there were a few rocks and a touch of blue groove bare spots but hey- dry at the end of the day's event? That's motocross kids, we should be used to it. I saw nothing but smiling faces all day and everyone had fun & some of those old guys are quick. I'll be looking at other Kentucky modern MX tracks this upcoming 2015 season.

Any chance Ohio can have an AMA District again? There's a level of prestige and honor associated with racing under the AMA umbrella. I see some Michigan and some PA tracks are still governed by the AMA, but not the more popular MX tracks in each state. Is the short answer money? There was a time that saying "I only race AMA" really meant something. It was an amazing time when our D12 was running.

The AMA website lists the remaining AMA sanctioned Motocross tracks and as long as the links on the AMA website are current, I'm going to start using that as my travel track guide. A bunch of us Ohio guys have been racing in NY in the WNY western New York series. Full gates, good competition, perfect tracks and smooth programs with nice humble folks. Seems worth the travel, really.

Keep up the good work sir. Pounding the proverbial pavement and putting in the miles to build AMA motocross racing is worth it. More AMA MX tracks in Ohio please.

Back