smith road

bret151

PR Member
went to smith road wed the 1st. was anyone else disappointed in the track prep or lack of . i never seen so many wrecks due to poor prep

went to smith road wed the 1st. was anyone else disappointed in the track prep or lack of . i never seen so many wrecks due to poor prep
I have been less than impressed with the way the track has been prepped for the past 3 practices. Track has been way overwatered and not ripped deep enough which in turn makes it slick and unsafe. The bummer is you pay 25 bucks and never know how the track is going to be. I have spoken to Larry about this several times and still no changes have been made in the track prep. I have been their several times when the track is amazing and that is part of why I get so frustrated when the prep is poor. I love going to that place and want to continue to support the track as I have been going their for the past 23 years! The track is close to home and awesome practice when prepped correctly, but if it continues to be poor I will not be going during the end of the season.

That's every week... If you're referring to them ripping only an inch or two deep. Then unleashing a monsoon on it. Leaving it muddy mess. Then the next round of prep they just drag all the muck off the top. Then proceed to water it and leave the hard pack ice rink underneath it with the water sitting on it.

I really don't get it either I was there two weeks in a row...same thing was ice at first then dust....I won't go back for awhile either..All it takes is a little effort and people will come out and ride...Why not make the track real nice and have people spread the word ..."Smith is back" but that's not the case...What happen to the super deep ruts and what are those jumps up front ????

yes it was sad i've never seen it in such bad shape. i seen more crashes wed than i have all year. and the worst part was the guys were in a cart and one racer complained and they told him and i quote."take your tampon out" i was like really . ya i won't go back until it's changed .i'd rather drive to briar cliff on weekends. now there's a track prep .

I think this has been a universal compliant for a couple years now. I know I have. Many people have talked to Larry about this and nothing changes. I went the again the first practice they had the new jump built along the back section. All I could think was " Why not put that effort into prepping the track instead?"
Smith rd doesnt need jumps. It is a corner practice paradise. The beauty of the place was knowing every weds the track was going to be different than the week before. Different direction, different corners. Oh and there were sooooo many corners!

Now we get the same basic oval in the same direction. How hard is it to drive the tractor around different corners every week? The track is all there just disc up different every week. I know this is hurting their turnout, the last time I went it was a BEAUTIFUL evening and the parking lot had half the vehicles it did 5 years ago.

Change it up every week, disc it deeper, get a bobcat to reface things now and then and stop adding jumps. That is all they need to do to bring it back to its glory. Yet so many calls for this have fallen on deaf ears.

They run the same layout without ripping it deep so about 4 inches down its as hard as a rock. I've never understood why they have that small table top down the hill by the track and you only go on it maybe once a year. Atleast use the jumps you have or make it into something

Well at least they added all that stone, I mean dirt to the track. Id rather set 25$ on fire then drive 5 min to ride there anymore.

Hopefully they will see this post and take it as constructive criticism, make some thoughtful changes to their program and get all of us excited about riding there again!

To put it so everyone gets my drift.....keep the comments less attacking and more constructive. They will get less defensive that way and be more likely to listen. The last thing we need is another track closing in NE Ohio. Smith, Malvern and Apple Cabin are my last 2 holdouts that hold regular practices less than an hour for me. With Beans gone next year Im left with nowhere close for regular weekend practices too.

A lot of tracks need to read these more often instead of only posting there open practice and facebook

Now now, I have bad days too. Nobody's perfect....don't praise me too much. I just try to do the best I can with the conditions at hand. Depth is the key though.....and getting the moisture worked into that depth.

Hershey I couldn't agree with you more. I'm not here to bash Larry at all I just know how the track can be and I know it can be awesome, I've been their when it was! I agree we as the motocross community need to support the few tracks we have left. We have lost so many, Scenic, 330, Broken Spokes, the list goes on and on and now next year no beans or dirtworld. When the track is good I let Larry know it was, when it sucks I tell him as well. Smith is close to home and as many weekends as I have to work I need places like cabin, smith and Malvern to be open during the week. I maybe get one weekend day a month to ride somewhere farther away. I agree that we need to continue to support ALL local tracks so we as a motocross community have places to ride cause the way things look year to year we all might be begging for a slippery day at smith road when its all gone. Many well points by all and continue to support the few tracks we have left!!!

I agree....BUT....If you look at the tracks that really put in efforts as hard as it is to disc deep or rip it deep....They get the turnouts ...Lot of turnouts.I will say apple cabin has so many people there on the practice's and it's really 10 min from smith...Why would they not want as many people at smith!! I even noticed when I went there that the guys who have be going there for 20-30 years WERE NOT THERE! I will say Apple,Malvern and the cliff...All put in major efforts BUT are rewarded with a lot of riders.Its that simple !

Hey I agree with all of you, I think we are all preaching to the choir. All of us know what makes the track fun and safe and what is worth while to go, no question about that. I believe I have ridden with many of you and we all have similar likes as far as track prep. I agree with MX 315 post, prep the track right and the riders will come. Frank at Apple Cabin has this figured out, Jason at Malvern, BJ at Beans and so on and that's what makes those places worth while. I don't know what the answer is, I think we are all on the same page with the same frustrations though. This is the BEST time of year to ride and we all know that, I don't know what the overwatering is and whatnot at Smith road but I know Larry and his son are trying to keep a good thing going for all of us. Continue to support the cause give him positive and negative feedback but in a non punitive way. Hope to all getting awesome fall ride days this end of the year and here's to great October/November days ahead!

It is a ton of work for proper prep.

I used to be at smith every Wednesday. We would grill and ride..
I have been there maybe 3 times in two years. 0 this year for sure..

Double D....Yes it is a lot of work....But hard work pays off..with riders paying you to ride,It's simple math!! That's all he has do to bring back all the people that used to ride there all the time Prep the track the right way! Not even the right way...Maybe close to the right way!!! If you look at the 3-4 tracks that get massive turnouts..They all have one thing in common.They work their ass's promoting,They change their tracks once in awhile,And They prep their tracks the right way!!! I am slowly turning to into ccbrandon damn it!!!! Hahahahahaha

Back