YZ450f Idle RPM?

MXracn746

PR Addict
The manual for the '14 calls for 1900~2100 RPMs when warmed up. Seems a little high. I'm using the Yamaha hour meter/RPM indicator. Mine is at 920 at idle now, but I did feel like it kinda wanted to stall in tight turns going into them with the throttle off. Anybody have an idea what it should be?

How do you adjust the idle on these new fuel injection bikes? I don't know if I even could on my ktm, not that I have had any reason to look into it.

How do you adjust the idle on these new fuel injection bikes? I don't know if I even could on my ktm, not that I have had any reason to look into it.
Honda has a thumbscrew which doubles as the "choke" (high idle) knob. I believe the Yami is similar.

Yes the lever you pull for starting when cold, though it's not really a choke, is also the knob to turn on the YZs.

Don, you might be jamming the back break in tight turns causing it to stall. The choke does click around so it may adjust your idle but it's tough to get at. The GYTR should be able to adjust the idle too. While you're in there don't be afraid to play around with the mapping. You can always change it back to 0 0 0's.

51n5zTuNtHL._SL1500_.jpg

The manual for the '14 calls for 1900~2100 RPMs when warmed up. Seems a little high. I'm using the Yamaha hour meter/RPM indicator. Mine is at 920 at idle now, but I did feel like it kinda wanted to stall in tight turns going into them with the throttle off. Anybody have an idea what it should be?

Like most things on the dirt bikes, idle is personal preference. I keep mine around 2200-2300, helps to keep me from stalling it entering turns. I think 920 is very low for these bikes. If I were you I would start bringing it up until you find your sweet spot. Start with 1500 and go up from there until you like it.

Set it to 1100 on the Yamaha Hour/RPM meter. Seems nuch better. But then again not as many tight turns where I road last. I'll try it again at a tighter track somewhere but it does seem better. Road it the other day near the house and it completey died in a turn. It popped, then stuttered, then died. Pushed it about 1/2 mile back to the garage. Then found out I forgot to put gas in it!

Back