Downed riders

nitrofish

PR Addict
My heart aches each time I hear of a rider that gets injured in our sport. With the recent news of Todd I can't help to think that we as a motocross community need to try and make a difference. I believe it was Chris Knox that mentioned earlier this year that we should start a bank roll of some sort to help aid in these instances. I almost posted then but remained silent. Before my son was born my wife and I lived, breathed and rode Harley's all over the country. During this time we were active in the downed bikers association out of Zanesville, Ohio. Monies that were raised from different events were kept in an account and ready to be distributed to riders in need. I just wonder if this is somthing we could do? Myself would be willing to add just an extra dollar to each race sign up knowing what it would be used for in the future. I know it's different now a days with social media and the funding programs that you can donate on line but is it enough? I dunno, just thinking out loud. One minute I'm stoked about an upcoming race weeken for myself and son then I'm saddened by news that just hurts. Through all the thick and thin we are all in this together and should take care of one another. This is my suggestion to the racing community. 1 extra dollar for race sign up in your first class that goes to a bank roll to help those in need.

A donation bucket when coming in the gate could produce a fair amount of cash for investment. Could be added to a bank savings account. JO has pretty good in with huntington bank. I wonder if he could obtain a savings account with a great interest rate in the name of charity of course.....

We could funnel money to that account and when its not being used at least it draws interest.....not sure if this is possible but wouldn't hurt to ask.

What really needs to happen, to keep this a charitable org in the eyes of uncle sam, is that it needs to be gain 501.c3 status from the IRS, which can cost a bit of money (possible 1k), but once its done, anyone can donate to it and use their donation as a charitable write off. Plus, the organization doesn't get zinged for receiving that money. You could create a non profit with the State of Ohio, $125 filing fee, then get an attorney started on the 34 page application for 501.c3. I believe its an $850 filing fee. Apply for a high interest savings, switch it to a higher yielding checking once your balance gets high enough. That I think for the long run is the best approach. A bit expensive up front, but better for everyone involved in the long term.

In terms of who applies to receive funds and how much each person gets? That's what I would question. How do you keep it fair? For example; I separated my shoulder and cant work, should I get help? I think it might be difficult to decide who gets what funds. Is a broken femur worth more than a T4? What if some unknown C rider has something happen to him? What if its a non moto related medical need? For example; what if someone gets EBOLA and needs treatment to survive. Or what if its someone like a Pro rider's dad (who used to race), what if he needs a surgery for something terminal? I guess the point to this rambling is how do you determine the trigger for monetary aid for someone, and do they have to be a current rider? This would a major concern of mine before diving into such an adventure like this, if it were me doing it.

I would be game to some extent. Heck, I seem to have hard enough time keeping me on the track without helping others, but that's not the spirit of this thread now is it? I could easily throw a few bucks here and there at this though. I think it should be truely charitable in that you either have a jar/bucket at sign-up etc. and not incorporate it into the cost of the sign-up fee. Sure, it's a good cause, but you know how some are. Besides, would it be in the spirit of giving if you were forced to give it? Would be more like taking to some. However, inaddition to sign-up, you could even have the bucket at the Food Shacks, etc. during practices.

I hear JO's concerns also. With the cynical world we live in, you could vet this out over and over and over, have a 1000 page law book on how funds are distributed or not and someone still would be slighted in some way they would feel and complain, sue, etc... Nothing is as simple as just helping someone out anymore. More peeps have their dirty hands out asking where's mine than those standing up and giving to do the right thing. Suppose the more secret you make it the better...uh...maybe not, I dunno.

In the end, I think it's a fantastic idea. If it were to be attached to the OMA in some way, first rule is you have to be a current OMA member at time of injury, etc. to recieve the funds I feel. If not attached, well, guess that opens it up quite a bit. Either way, there is potential here as I feel the way Nitro does, it hurts to hear of tragedy in our sport. We love it so and understand the potential consequence, but seldom think it would ever happen to us and/or so close to home.

Speaking from experience, it is a great idea, but realistically it does cost some money to maintain from a public organization. As a 501c3, you will also need to file returns with the state and federal government yearly. In that filing you must also PROVE that you are a private or publicly funded foundation. In order to prove and file, an independent organization (CPA) needs to audit the activities (investments, distributions, restricted assets, non-restricted assets, contributions, operations, etc.). Although this can be done on a volunteer basis, it rarely happens from my perspective. This organization also will need a board that carries it's fiduciary responsibilities...and that's just the beginning.

Like I said, it's a great idea, but it's not as easy as giving and distributing cash. It will need a mass influx of capital to get it operating and maintaining it.

gofundme is the answer. Whenever you feel that someone is deserving, start a gofundme for them. Simple. Easy. Done.

If you're going to do something, be sure to check out programs like www.road2recovery.com
They have the experience and it will prevent you from falsely operating a non profit.
From one we organized a few years ago, We found that money donated, even with the best
intentions could be viewed as taxable to recipient.

Last edited:
If you're going to do something, be sure to check out programs like www.road2recovery.com
They have the experience and it will you from falsely operating a non profit.
From one we organized a few years ago, We found that money donated, even with the best
intentions could be viewed as taxable to recipient.
Now I'm going out on a limb here and talking about something I know little about, however can you set it up as to where you set aside any portion Uncle Sam would require similar to the way they do things when you make a 401k withdraw, etc? That way the receipient shouldn't have any worries about taxes not paid on the monies, correct?

Sure, would suck that the person in need wouldn't get all the funds and some of the donations would go to Uncle Sammy, but we wouldn't want the receipient to be burdened with a tax issue come April either...

We would have to el
What really needs to happen, to keep this a charitable org in the eyes of uncle sam, is that it needs to be gain 501.c3 status from the IRS, which can cost a bit of money (possible 1k), but once its done, anyone can donate to it and use their donation as a charitable write off. Plus, the organization doesn't get zinged for receiving that money. You could create a non profit with the State of Ohio, $125 filing fee, then get an attorney started on the 34 page application for 501.c3. I believe its an $850 filing fee. Apply for a high interest savings, switch it to a higher yielding checking once your balance gets high enough. That I think for the long run is the best approach. A bit expensive up front, but better for everyone involved in the long term.

In terms of who applies to receive funds and how much each person gets? That's what I would question. How do you keep it fair? For example; I separated my shoulder and cant work, should I get help? I think it might be difficult to decide who gets what funds. Is a broken femur worth more than a T4? What if some unknown C rider has something happen to him? What if its a non moto related medical need? For example; what if someone gets EBOLA and needs treatment to survive. Or what if its someone like a Pro rider's dad (who used to race), what if he needs a surgery for something terminal? I guess the point to this rambling is how do you determine the trigger for monetary aid for someone, and do they have to be a current rider? This would a major concern of mine before diving into such an adventure like this, if it were me doing it.
We would have to elect a board to come up with language on pay out. And I would want every person who donates to become a member and vote on what pays out. With some organization we could really make a huge impact for our fallen brothers whose insurance might be somewhat more greedy than they understood when buying the insurance.

It can be a complicated as you want to make it. BUT, you only need a "board" of 3 to decided who, how and what the is organization is going to do. It does not need to be made into a United Way clone. Keep it simple, local and connected to the people that both will fund it and benefit from it.
My personal feelings are to focus more on prevention then simply giving funds to injured riders. Yes that needs to be a big part of it, but solely focusing on the outcome and not working to prevent the next injury will not improve the future.
Todd will be added to our family's prayers. Makes me sick to my stomach whenever a riders is injured, especially to this extent.

What is the organization that helps riders already? I know some pros have been helped out in these cases.

Money fades. Something could be done in Ohio that people trust and is effective to a point. Finding people to commit to the operation of it for the long haul would be the hardest part. I have considered it, but don't know that I want to; pretty much I don't want to.

What I am sure of is reaching out as friend. More of a relationship...being by someone's side. Being a listener more than a talker. Just all the things in a friendship. Friendship is lasting.

It hits home with me for people that get left behind. A good example is vets. Seen a jacket patch that stated "You can still see the cost of freedom at your local VA hospital."

Back