Cody Miller Update

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
As some may know, Cory Miller was flown from BC on Sunday with a suspected broken femur, which is customary in todays word. Broken femurs and getting knocked out for more than 5 minutes will get you a chopper ride. Anyway Cody sent us this update and image. I'm glad he is going to be ok.

"Hello briarcliff nation I just wanted to say thank you to all those who helped me out with my accident yesterday. I was life flighted to osu med center. The official report is that I shattered my femur. I had surgery last night and the doctor put a titanium rod inside the middle of my bone from my hip to my knee. I will be ok. Thanks again everyone
#451 kawi"

10687966_829797767042336_6851728884907192733_o.jpg

Last edited:
Ugg....I can relate Cody. Not a femur, but still.
I hate those black & white photos.
Glad you're in good spirits. Heal well.

'Tis fun stuff that rod in the femur...umm, no, no it is not. Been there done that...twice. Just hope they put the right size rod in your leg the first time.;) You'll be as good to go. Take care!! :)

Ouch! Sorry to hear about the injury! Heal up fast and well.

How many rides out is that this year?

Been a few life flighted from BC for sure. How many broken femurs were wearing knee braces?

That's at least the fourth this year. I cant recall if we had any before the ATV National. The National was a bit out of control though with 2, that's not normal. The latest two flights were femur related. Cody Branson had a valve drop on him in the face, and from what I understood, Cody Miller told me that he was either in the wrong gear or jump completely in the wrong position on the bike when he was on the face, and he endowed on the jump we used to call the rupalator, which is the same jump where Brady Patterson got injured. For reference its the jump following the step double right after center tunnel. Anytime they suspect a broken femur, they call the bird. Cody Branson was a prime example, they were sure if it was his hip or femur, they called just to be sure.

Not to discount the Riders or their Circumstances...but doesn't the location of the track warrant Flight more because it is a longer drive to the hospital? I believe they are most concerned with the femoral artery as to why they resolve for Life Flight with a broken femur.!?

I believe they are most concerned with the femoral artery as to why they resolve for Life Flight with a broken femur.!?
I am thinking so. I broke mine before that was a "concern". Hell, the tried to pull my boot off for God sake! It was Dayton AX and they were trying to get me to walk off the track. First thought it was a dislocated hip due to my foot being turned in so far. Found out after painful x-rays that it was because my femur was broken in two... Yes, it hurt a bit...

Yes, I had my knee braces on. No issues with my knees from that fall though. They worked!! Most times easier to fix the broken femur vs. knee cartilage and/or ligament damage not to mention heal time is less and better...

Often times runs through my mind these days about bike failure being the cause of a wreck. You just never do know. I was lucky once my connecting rod broke on my 450 a ways before the BC uphill triple...that could have been the end... I had time to stop and just sort of hop over the take off...

Heal fast Cory. Get ready for next season. This one is about cashed anyway...well, unless you ride indoors... :)

MXA magazine had a pretty good thought provoking article written by Daryl Ecklund recently, called Life Cycle of the Pro Racer. (I don't have it in front of me, so I'm drawing from memory here).
He gives his own story from age 3 to retirement as a Pro racer. He talks of the casualties of the sport and how we in a cruel way just shrug it off. He questions the wisdom of what we do, and why we do it.

The seriousness of the injuries that we see in this sport is alarming to those outside of the sport, and should be to us as well.

Last edited:
I wasn't going to repsond and turn this into a "Are we crazy, yes or no" thread, but I couldn't resist. Damn you... Get well soon Cory. ;)

Sure, guess we could dwell on it, make use afraid to leave the ground or take a corner over 2mph...or quit. You can't apply common logic to MX or any sport really for that matter. Well, any that may have negative cosequences (football, baseball, etc. included), or we would not sport at all. Life is full of risks. Jumping off a cliff without a parachute you will in most cases certainly die. Jump with one, still a chance you die, but is it worth the risk and thrill...to some it is. Do us that do not think so, do we condemn them? I think not. It's their life. Let them live it, not be jealous 'cause your too much of a puss to try anything other than sticking you thumb up your arse...

For those who enjoy it, what kind of life is it without it? Better have done than not done at all for some. Depends on how far you want to take a life of no regrets. Personally, I'd rather regret doing something than never trying it at all. Sure, I could have done without some of the consequences of those actions, but I take comfort in knowing I'll never wonder what it would have been like if I would have tried that...if I had the chance to...

Sorry, hit a cord there and I'm in the wrong mood. See you at the track! :)

Last edited:
I wasn't going to repsond and turn this into a "Are we crazy, yes or no" thread, but I couldn't resist. Damn you... Get well soon Cory. ;)

Sure, guess we could dwell on it, make use afraid to leave the ground or take a corner over 2mph...or quit. You can't apply common logic to MX or any sport really for that matter. Well, any that may have negative cosequences (football, baseball, etc. included), or we would not sport at all. Life is full of risks. Jumping off a cliff without a parachute you will in most cases certainly die. Jump with one, still a chance you die, but is it worth the risk and thrill...to some it is. Do us that do not think so, do we condemn them? I think not. It's their life. Let them live it, not be jealous 'cause your too much of a puss to try anything other than sticking you thumb up your arse...

For those who enjoy it, what kind of life is it without it? Better have done than not done at all for some. Depends on how far you want to take a life of no regrets. Personally, I'd rather regret doing something than never trying it at all. Sure, I could have done without some of the consequences of those actions, but I take comfort in knowing I'll never wonder what it would have been like if I would have tied that...if I had the chance to...

Sorry, hit a cord there and I'm in the wrong mood. See you at the track! :)

i am gonna use that quote because it puts everything into perspective i will ("quote" - Scoob from Pitracer) give u the credit

Nobody wants a "It's too dangerous to do" argument or lecture. Myself included.
I felt his honesty on the topic was impactful, and I was actually surprised that he wrote about it.

Sometimes I just read and think too much.

i am gonna use that quote because it puts everything into perspective i will ("quote" - Scoob from Pitracer) give u the credit
ha! figures you us a quote that I have a misspelling in. ;) I fixed it. OCD? Maybe, kinda, sorta, not really...
...and I was actually surprised that he wrote about it.
You're good. Free country, but I hear ya. I catch myself thinking like that at times, but then I slap myself. One thing I do not get, this thread included to some extent on my part, is we share our injuries and grusome details and smile about it. I never said we weren't sick to some to a lesser degree although I think we do that as we can relate unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you look at it. It's all good yo! :)

OK, said more than my share. I'm out! ;)

Last edited:
We all do it for the love of competition and the sport for sure. I've said it a million times though, is the sport any better for all the huge leaps than it was 25 years ago?

25 years ago, we had injuries, some severe. But we did not have them to the level that we have them today. We have way more serious injury and death today than 25 years ago. The human body can only take so much impact from height and speed. Look at road racing.....they do much faster, but are much lower to the ground. I would argue that more people are seriously injured in motocross than road racing.

Todays tracks are jump filled, bikes are faster and jumping further. Is the racing any better because of large leaps? Do we have to be going 4 gear tapped hitting huge doubles to make the racing interesting? Just my opinion, but these factors are what are contributing to the seriousness of the many injuries. We've debated the whole track thing forever. But until some things in track design change, people will continue getting hurt worse and worse.

How old is Cory? I know when I was younger the last thing on my mind was "Am I crazy for continue this with all risks involved?" No, it was "when is this cast coming off Doc, I need to get on the bike again."

That's usually when outsiders look at you like you're crazy. My two major injuries definitely made me kick some thoughts around (ruptured spleen and a broken back) mainly because I was 15 minutes from death with the spleen, and millimeters away from being paralyzed with my back.

My answer....it's an addiction of sorts. And just like any other true addict we will continue to come back to get our fix despite the consequences we might face because of it. Ever sit and wonder what you would be doing if you didn't have this addiction, or what you would possibly be addicted to? Sometimes I sit in my cubicle and wonder what the hell I'm doing running the corporate rat race, then I realize that the addiction I have for riding has resulted in something positive...a will and a work ethic to keep my nose to the grindstone so that I can afford to do what I love. How many addicts out there can say their addiction ended up being a positive influence on their life?

It's heart breaking sometimes to go through, even when it's not you. Just seeing things like this, or even worse like Krieg. You know all of us can empathize with that feeling, no one has been in the sport for more than a few years and not experience it to some degree. We all fall, but the lesson is in learning to get back up. There is no perseverance like that of a rider.

I've heard Travis Patrana say-- "There's no money that could make me do the things I've done to my body. It's the love of the sport that keeps me going". There's alot to be said for that I guess. I love riding bikes as much as anybody, but I don't feel comfortable with the risk. I stay close to the sport, and the friends I have within it, but as far as riding and racing-- I choose to abstain. I do ride play bikes, I'm planning on a vintage race or two, and I don't mind road racing on kart tracks with an XR100 powered road racer. I guess it's all about managing risk. ---L^64

Back