Deer thread 2014

Kaiser 878

PR Addict
Im busy and cant hang out as much and this place goes to hell...... ha why wasnt one started??? ha

well I will start it off right...
this morning
1030141024a_zpsjgjns0mn.jpg

That is a big beam buck....umm.. Looks like an 8 point. Do give details Zach, you know Halfast will want the deets!

Great , massive , stud of a buck ! I count 9 points ? Don't want to hear anyone say how " lucky " you are . The only way to consistently score on the caliber of bucks that you've taken the last few years is with knowledge of the animal , proficiency with your weapon , and just outright work ( scouting , food plots , running cameras , scent control , etc. , etc. ) . Gotta have a " do-or-die " attitude to stick with your program through the highs and lows of a season too .Good WORK ! Tell the tale >

I have been starting a deer thread on here for the last few years but am at kind of a low point in my hunting this season , so I didn't bother . Lost all my hunting places except for my little 9 1/2 acre " slice of heaven " that I own in Carroll county . The woods on 2 sides were timbered through the summer and are a mess . On the back side is a new deep-mine , coal mine that is hauling across the center of my property ( Like a dumb ass I leased them the right-of-way in hopes of making some $$$ since I don't live there . Mistake ) . Lots of truck traffic from dawn til dusk 6 - 7 days a week . 2 months of trail camera pics have shown a total of 6 different deer , only 2 of which are antlered bucks . Their racks added together wouldn't add up to one side of Zach's buck . 90 % of the pics were nocturnal due to all the daytime activity of the mining operation . My only other option is public land . Spirits are low to say the least . Still , I'm a bullheaded , fat , bald , half blind , bunged up , old , ex-motocrossin , SOB...... so I'll be out there anyway . Need to find some recipes for tag soup just in case though .

I had a lot of pictures of this deer off and on and had no intentions of shooting it.... Although, I knew he was 4.... I went into a farm thurs morning with no real intentions of killing anything... I just wanted to see what all was there.... at about 9 i had only seen a few does and decided id shoot a squirrel to pass some time... as I was spinning like a top in my stand trying to get a shot at this fox squirrel who wouldnt hold still, i noticed a buck below me.... so i changed my arrows, even though he was small...just then I noticed that another buck had snuck in behind me and was watching the other buck..... then I heard some shuffling and 3 does came off the ridge with my buck in tow.... I knew what deer it was and wasnt gonig to shoot it.... me made his way to about 15 yards and i was already drawn back, tellnig myself not to shoot it.... well my impatient side won and i stopped him and sent a rage through his chest...he made about 4 bounds and stopped..... stood there for about 5 seconds and tipped over.... done deal.... I had some remorse for shooting that deer before i got out of the stand.....I thought I may have messed up...but when i got my hands on him i realized he was quite a bit bigger than I had thought.... surprisingly.... I am usually right on when it comes to estimating size.... I must be slipping in my old age though.... either way..... I am happy... he ended up grossing 144..... so ill take it... I told my wife Ill stop shooting 140s when I have 20 of them on the wall..... I have a ways to go....I think I now have about 8 that are 140+.....and quite a few that are over 130....I have been very fortunate, but like randy said, and im not tooting my own horn...... I put a lot of work into this.....its what I love to do.....

Nice! from the photo that look slike a big bodied deer all the headgear is mounted on. Should be able to have steak with every meal for a couple of months. :)

Took a deer in Tuscarawas Co. on my antlerless permit Monday evening ( Ended up it was a button buck , which I will not usually shoot if I can help it but light was dingy enough that these eyes couldn't make out the bumps on its head ) . Came off a piece of public land not far from Zach's house . Had to drag it and carry about 30 pounds of gear 3/4 of a mile back to the truck because I always go clear to the back of the property to get away from other hunters . WHEW ! Must not be any problems with my heart . Almost to my vehicle I ran across two young hunters tracking a six point they had arrowed . Hope they found it . Deer were really moving . A buddy's son killed a great 16 point ( I'll try to get a pic ) that morning in Carroll Co. . I had promised to get this deer for my daughter and son-in-law so now that that is done I'll buck hunt only . Got a few more pics on my little property that showed a couple of bucks I hadn't seen before . One is a borderline shooter and was actually there in daylight ! Maybe things are lookoing up ?

I'm getting close to a few I'm watching out back. Passed on a few already.
Hate to jinx myself even posting anything. It is heating up now !!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 254
Finally got my deer. Not a monster but it will do. Nice 8 point.
He came in to my code blue estrus drag right before dark. The snow hit and I pulled out until morning . Luckily the snow ended up melting . He went 60 yards into high grass with no trail.
The buck I was after is in the trail cam pick. I could not get him on the land I am hunting. He is only there at night. Maybe Jack can get him late season when he gets real hungry.
Another great year!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 270
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 282
Nice buck! Slammer on cam too!

My season has been rough.. got a couple on cam I've been after but haven't seen a deer during daylight hours worth mentioning. The one Sunday I felt like crap and went back to bed at 5am, guess who showed up at 828 oncam.. yup.. freaky 4.5 yr ol non typ.. ughh..

Dad killed a nice one this morning here at home.. not his biggest but his first racked buck from our property.. he has 100s of hours on stand here and its a helluva home deer.. there is still a 150s 10 in the area too tho, so maybe my luck will change..

Attachments

• 2014111695094702.jpg
    2014111695094702.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 270
Congrats guys things have been slow here at the cabin, just small bucks and very few does. Dorae shot a coyote last Sunday she saw it and made a few mouse squeaks and it came in and put a rage through him.

Hey Frank, can Dorae come over to my place and shoot as many Coyotes as she wants? Last winter 3 of them were up on one of the back porches late at night trying to make a meal of the cat! I heard them screaming a high pitched call of the wild and the cat was standing his ground. Went to scare them off instead of grabbing a gun to give the cat a chance.
Was thinking of setting up one night back on the river by the barn and using a rabbit distress call. My rage arrow will actually be 00 buckshot!

Sorry to hijack the bambi thread y'all!

Huh, we had a coyote almost take the wife's rat (jack russell) a day ago.
He had it by the neck but the wife heard the screaming and chased the
coyote off.

Huh, we had a coyote almost take the wife's rat (jack russell) a day ago.
He had it by the neck but the wife heard the screaming and chased the
coyote off.

Coyotes don't normally let go of a sure meal. Jack's are pretty scrappy too. Sounds like the missus is as well.

Send your wife over with Dorae and I will just eat bon-bons in my heated shop and watch them thin out the pack.

Congrats to all...... Randy, I have heard there is some pretty good pockets of land over in here that are public..... A lot of land that people doesn't know is public....

beenridin-congrats on the buck...hopefully jack can see that monster,], holy cow is he big

meister, old bruce put the hammer down...is that a big 6pt????

its trapping time for me right now....but his weather doesn't make things very easy.. I manage a coyote this week and should have had two, but had one get out,..... must have been a toe catch... good luck all

Kaiser, he's a 7 pt with 5 one inch stickers on his bases.. his mass doesn't show well in the pics but he's pretty heavy..

I sat quite a bit and also Tuesday morning and evening cuz work got called off due to windchills.. seen 3 bedded doe in morning who stayed bedded through my whole sit (lasted till 930 brr).. nothing in the evening..

I'd really love to kill the big 10 running around home but with limited stand locations I don't know how I'll do that aside from getting extremely lucky.. pretty sure he's living in standing corn and rarely comes out.. ughh

Back