Best dirtbike for mudding?

mud.jpg

Probably should get a quad for "mudding"........I am sure you and your buddy will have fun playing in the mud on it.

Impressive question. I have about 5-6 years in selling at Kames. Never has anyone asked this question. I seems outlandish to me...but if that's what you wanna do, then go for it...Straight Rhythm Muddin!?

A good bike would need to be strong and steady with lots of grunt and traction. Scott Summers comes to mind. Dude rules the wood in 90's, prolly was around in 80's too. He road the Big Bore Honda XR Series. I think normally the 400. He was tall, fast, won by large margins, cool to the fans...and a consistent Champion.

Get ya an XR400 or 600. Don't know if they make an updated version or not. I am just thinking backyard fun, low maintenance and rock solid. Bet you could find a diamond in the rough at a good price. Or you can get a new CRF-X 450. But Muddin? Not a good idea unless you just want to spend and fix after a little while I figure.

Slap on an FMF exhaust, jetted right, one step up or so over stock high-comp piston and a cam if they make it...stage 1 or 2. Just over stock where I doesn't take away engine life to much and gasoline (pump gas compatible.)

Slap an IRC M5B on the rear with a Dunlop on the front maybe.

Gearing would have to be test and tune. Get the suspension good...you want just the right amount of traction and wheel spin in those conditions with a real good grunt when you need to pull yourself out of danger...keep the r's up, steady on the throttle, momentum...and rip through.

That's pretty stock and sensible for a bike you want to keep around for goofing off and hit a trails/bogs after the rain.

I ride Honda...other brands have pretty much always made some version of the Honda trail bikes, at least for the last twenty years prolly.

What is your idea of Mudding?

just go to any gncc, 70 percent of all bikes out there are ktm 2 strokes... unless your name is Dan Gibson or Scott Summers xr's are not for mud.. lol

My thinking is you need lots of motor, and a not too tall seat height in case you flop. If you get hung up, you will expell a LOT of physical energy getting it up, out, and going again. Especially if you stall it.

I like mud races (most of the time), but from my experience to get a good momentum up and to keep it up, it takes horsepower to drive through the deep stuff.

Impressive question. I have about 5-6 years in selling at Kames. Never has anyone asked this question. I seems outlandish to me...but if that's what you wanna do, then go for it...Straight Rhythm Muddin!?

A good bike would need to be strong and steady with lots of grunt and traction. Scott Summers comes to mind. Dude rules the wood in 90's, prolly was around in 80's too. He road the Big Bore Honda XR Series. I think normally the 400. He was tall, fast, won by large margins, cool to the fans...and a consistent Champion.

Get ya an XR400 or 600. Don't know if they make an updated version or not. I am just thinking backyard fun, low maintenance and rock solid. Bet you could find a diamond in the rough at a good price. Or you can get a new CRF-X 450. But Muddin? Not a good idea unless you just want to spend and fix after a little while I figure.

Slap on an FMF exhaust, jetted right, one step up or so over stock high-comp piston and a cam if they make it...stage 1 or 2. Just over stock where I doesn't take away engine life to much and gasoline (pump gas compatible.)

Slap an IRC M5B on the rear with a Dunlop on the front maybe.

Gearing would have to be test and tune. Get the suspension good...you want just the right amount of traction and wheel spin in those conditions with a real good grunt when you need to pull yourself out of danger...keep the r's up, steady on the throttle, momentum...and rip through.

That's pretty stock and sensible for a bike you want to keep around for goofing off and hit a trails/bogs after the rain.

I ride Honda...other brands have pretty much always made some version of the Honda trail bikes, at least for the last twenty years prolly.

What is your idea of Mudding?
XR 400 is bad ass in the mud!!

KTM 200 with a Rekluse(sp?) clutch a buddy had was pretty awesome in mud , slick rooted hill climbs , about anything off road . Light ( like a 125 ) , nimble , fast , with plenty of grunt .

KTM 200 with a Rekluse(sp?) clutch a buddy had was pretty awesome in mud , slick rooted hill climbs , about anything off road . Light ( like a 125 ) , nimble , fast , with plenty of grunt .

I wouldn't say "plenty" of grunt, you will be working that clutch in the thick stuff, and while the power down low is very good compared to a 125, it's still pretty explosive or "pipey"

I'd go with a KTM 300 EXC or MXC and slap the Christini kit on it, not much heavier than the 200, TONS of tractable power down low.

But in all seriousness.....if you really want to ride mud that bad, you'd probably have more fun over the long run, on.......a quad.

Back