Double D

PR Founding Father
Just an FYI from MX Sports.

ATTN:
GNCC Racing Nation
ATVMX Racing Nation
Loretta Lynn Motocross Community
PAMX Membership

Do you see something wrong with this image?

1638.jpg

Off Road Vehicle Ban - Hampton Township, Pennsylvania

Once more our sport is under attack. This coming Tuesday, a hearing will be held for a proposed ban of all off road vehicles in Hampton Township (north of Pittsburgh). This ban would make it a crime for a private landowner to permit anyone to operate any type of off road vehicle (dirt bike, scooter, go-cart, ATV, UTV, snowmobile, etc.) on a lot with less than 5 acres.

Landowners owning more than 5 acres may only use their property during restricted hours, and then only after giving written permission, whether the vehicle is licensed or not. Even then use must be more than 250 feet from any home and raise no dirt "visible to the naked eye".

The ban allows police to confiscate, impound and even sell off road vehicles, and impose penalties including fines of $1,000, and imprisonment of 90 days.

If this ban is adopted, more townships are sure to take steps to immediately enact the same legislation. This won't stop there.

The AMA has joined the fight, and has issued its opposition to the ban directly to the Hampton Planning Commission.

We need your help. Please join Tim Cotter of MX Sports, Jeff Cernic of PAMX, and more of your racing brethren at the hearing this coming Tuesday, November 18th at 7:00 pm to defend our sport and your right to own and operate off road vehicles on your own land.

Hearing Location: Hampton Community Center

3101 McCully Road

Alison Park, PA 15101

For further information, check out http://www.hampton-pa.org/civicalerts.aspx?aid=92

Proposed Ban and the AMA Opposition Letter

November 10, 2014

Hampton Planning Commission

c/o Amanda Lukas

3101 McCully Road

Allison Park, PA 15101

Dear Planning Commission Members;

The American Motorcyclist Association is writing to the Hampton Township Pennsylvania planning commission in opposition to the township's proposed Off Highway Vehicle ordinance. We respect local municipalities' right to maintain civility in their communities. However, we feel the good intentions of planning commission would not be met by the ordinance as it is currently written.

Founded in 1924, the AMA is the premier advocate of the motorcycling community. We represent the interests of millions of on-and off-highway motorcyclists in the United States. Our mission is to promote the motorcycle lifestyle and protect the future of motorcycling.

In keeping with its mission, the AMA does not condone excessively loud OHV's or irresponsible riders since both threaten our riding future.

Our primary concerns with the proposed ordinance are:

-There is already a township noise ordinance in place that could address residents' reasonable concerns by penalizing problem riders if it is properly updated to recognize advancements in sound measurement and is consistently enforced.

-The minimum lot size of 5 acres for OHV use would effectively eliminate the activity in the township.

-The ordinance makes landowners, not rogue riders, subject to penalties for noncompliance.

-The wording of the proposed ordinance leaves key points subjectively enforceable, altogether unenforceable or contradictory to Pennsylvania state law.

In the same way that the AMA is concerned with unworkable ordinances, local organizations like Pennsylvania Off Highway Vehicle Association, local OHV clubs and other similarly organized responsible local riders have legitimate concerns about their ability to recreate legally. We all recognize that it is in our best interests to work cooperatively with regulators to create realistic, enforceable ordinances that meet residents' needs now and into the future.

We appreciate the opportunity to comment now and offer ourselves to you and Hampton Township's Board of Supervisors as a resource to help identify independent OHV sound experts and examples of effective ordinances in place elsewhere.

Sincerely;

Stephen Salisbury

Government Affairs Manager, Of Highway

American Motorcyclist Association

I wonder what started this? I'm sure it has to do with some irritated neighbor. (fun sucker)
I bet those same people want smaller government.

Nope, no bashing from me... This is the type of thing I want my AMA working on. As the article says, more and more communities are trying this crap. Individual riders and property owners are not big enough to fight they system. We need the AMA and all riders to band together against BS government like this.

My response is for people to get involved in local government, and by get involved, attend the meetings. Ever since we have been riding dirtbikes, (on just over 5 acres) I have been attending the bi weekly township trustee meeting. (about 5 years now) Almost always I am the only citizen in attendance. I sit in the back, usually with my laptop and day planner and clean up emails/schedules and stuff. The Trustee's know we ride. The point is: This stuff is usually discussed LONG before it reaches this stage and can be caught early. It is a good old boys network. They know and respect me and in the end, they (the trustees) stick up for those they like. (our noise code is ambiguous for a reason) The township or county doesn't just wake up and decide to make these changes one day.

I was riding last year and a guy walked all the way across an almost 1000 yard field to tell me I had to stop riding. He offered no reason, didn't want to listen, and insisted that I leave or he would call he police and have me arrested. I am usually a pretty friendly guy and it is hard to get me worked up. He lived in a recently built home about a mile from where I was riding that he spent at least $750K building. After he exploded I assured him I could ride on this land because I owned it. Then I said nice to meet you neighbor and asked him if he wanted to ride with me. He cussed, said he was a lawyer, and vowed to sue me for creating a nuisance and that he would get legislation passed to stop me from riding. I haven't heard from him since - but keep expecting something in the mail.

It will continue to get tougher to stop these types of laws and ordinances. Proactive, local government involvement can help but to me this is symptomatic of some complex governmental and social issues that I unforntualey believe we might have already moved beyond the tipping point.

Just because I can still buy a Glock with a large capacity magazine doesn't mean my basic freedoms and constitutionally granted rights are not being quitely stolen in small, sometimes imperceivable ways.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out, how the ordinance gets challenged if passed, and how the person that likely started the complaint will use it to sue the land owner.

I think most disagreements can be worked out with neighbors. Sometimes if tough though, thoughts in the back of your mind may be; I can move and build a chicken farm here! But that's not the right thing to do. Public involvement is key. I hope they get it worked out in PA.

Taking small rights away, one at a time is how it gets done. Many times it does not look like anything you care about losing, until they twist the law to meet their needs then regulate and enforce it.

I think most disagreements can be worked out with neighbors. Sometimes if tough though, thoughts in the back of your mind may be; I can move and build a chicken farm here! But that's not the right thing to do. Public involvement is key. I hope they get it worked out in PA.

You clearly have never had an a*hole neighbor then. Some will go out of their way to make sure nothing can be agreed upon.

I was riding last year and a guy walked all the way across an almost 1000 yard field to tell me I had to stop riding. He offered no reason, didn't want to listen, and insisted that I leave or he would call he police and have me arrested. I am usually a pretty friendly guy and it is hard to get me worked up. He lived in a recently built home about a mile from where I was riding that he spent at least $750K building. After he exploded I assured him I could ride on this land because I owned it. Then I said nice to meet you neighbor and asked him if he wanted to ride with me. He cussed, said he was a lawyer, and vowed to sue me for creating a nuisance and that he would get legislation passed to stop me from riding. I haven't heard from him since - but keep expecting something in the mail.

It will continue to get tougher to stop these types of laws and ordinances. Proactive, local government involvement can help but to me this is symptomatic of some complex governmental and social issues that I unforntualey believe we might have already moved beyond the tipping point.

Just because I can still buy a Glock with a large capacity magazine doesn't mean my basic freedoms and constitutionally granted rights are not being quitely stolen in small, sometimes imperceivable ways.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out, how the ordinance gets challenged if passed, and how the person that likely started the complaint will use it to sue the land owner.

"He cussed, said he was a lawyer, and vowed to sue me for creating a nuisance and that he would get legislation passed to stop me from riding. I haven't heard from him since - but keep expecting something in the mail. "

These are the same type of people running our country. God the outlook is awesome isn't it?

"He cussed, said he was a lawyer, and vowed to sue me for creating a nuisance and that he would get legislation passed to stop me from riding. I haven't heard from him since - but keep expecting something in the mail. "

These are the same type of people running our country. God the outlook is awesome isn't it?

Been affected from the above in a harsh way. Local politics, police etc... 47K in fighting to keep and old track open back in 2003-04. Total bs and when your neighbor is the boss of the officer that files a public nuisance charge on you there is no negotiating. Pure power trip and using their position/job for their own justification. Didn't cost anyone else a dime - tax paying $$$ to do so. Lived it for 1.5yrs and it sucked everyday with no recourse to the powers at be. Just sad on how many rights property owners and tax payers are losing to the far left. This country is going to the entitled daily. Go read some blogs from fredoneverything.net or just google fredoneverything all one word.

Question??? Does a tractor not qualify as an "off highway vehicle"? Plowing or harvesting creates "visible dust". How about a lawn tractor. I see dust all the time when I mow the yard... Heck, they make mower attachments for quads. Is it then illegal to mow the grass???

Now I am going to look at it from the other side of the fence... We are all looking at it though rose colored, dust covered glasses...
Why do they want to make such a law? Have there been complaints? People abusing the law as written? We as riders don't care about hearing a bike run (we prefer it) nor do we care about some dust. But the mainstream care VERY much about that crap.
I am not a gun guy, as many of you are. As a home owner I don't want my neighbor to build a shooting range in his back yard. I don't want to hear it and I don't want the stray bullet coming my way. Do you as a land owner have the right to build said range on your side of my fence? (Yes I know there are laws about discharging a gun in city limits and all that jazz, I'm talking hypothetical) Even if the guy knocked on my door with a plate of cookies for me, I still would not "give my permission" if it were required.
I have sat through more then my fair share of city meetings, from zoning hearings to city council meetings and everything in between. At EVERY meeting people in attendance are give an opportunity to voice concerns (or ramble on for 20 minuets about the schedule of the leaf vacuum down a certain street as it were last week) I can count on one hand the number of times a resident said anything. BUT, if you bring up a noise ordinance. People crawl out of the walls to say their piece. If this community in PA is anything like mine, it will be a up hill battle...both ways.. in the snow... barefoot. The people that complain about noise are the OLD people. The OLD people make up the largest percentage of people that actually vote. Elected officials pander to the OLD people.

Our sport is under attack on several different plains. As riders we have an obligation to help defend and protect our rights. Go to a city council meeting and understand what is going on around you. Talk with and patronize other businesses in your community to create allies in the event you need their help. Understand that not all people are moto friendly. Do whatever you can to minimize the impact these people feel from your past-time.

Sorry if it sounds rambling... my mind was working faster then my fingers can type...

What about a piece of crap Harley Davidson going down the street at 2 am?????

Why is that OK? open headers??? Waking up my new born for 3 effing years! the guy down the street would close the bars down every night and hammer that oil leaking POS down the street. Thats OK though.

Lol!!!! Loud pipes save lives. (And wake babies at 3 am)

Why is it ok for my neighbor to mow his grass every other day at 745am (when I got home fro night shift) and then continue to leaf blow grass clipping until 3pm.) Because that's what every old retired guy is doing in the community during those hours. BUT Don't you dare make the same decibel noise as a lawnmower when he goes to church on Sunday or heads out to the local winery on the weekend for some peace and quiet.

The ordinance they are trying to pass says farm and lawn maintenance equipment are exempt. I think I could find something not on their banned list to stir the pot! There is a lot of loud dirt stirring loud equipment I can get my hands on to piss off the neighbors. I agree though, that normal people should be able to work it out.

I wonder how the hearing went?

The meeting went well. The ban was written to handle one family who frankly I wouldn't want to live next to. The board members know the ban is way off and will suggest to have it rewritten.

Thanks to many people who showed up including the http://www.paohv.org/, Tim Cotter from MXsports, Jeff Cernic and a few others

Back