Where Are They Now: Charlie Dunaway

Charlie came to my house to ride once with Broc and Mike Katin. He had great speed and style and I remember him being a nice kid. It wasn't too long after that I heard about his injury. He was a real talent on the bike, thanks for posting this Tom.

Met Charlie when Jack was on the ktm 50 racing a lot in District 11.
He was fast. Him Burkhart , strunk whit craft and others were tearing it Up back then.
He was a class act . Lots of memories of him riding! Article was a good one.
Brought back lots of old times at Grumpy Valley and Wild wilderness .
Those F and S bikes were sweet .

I remember betting my mom a candy bar that dunaway was going to pull the holeshot at summit indoors. I was around 7-8 years old. And I got a candy bar.

Strikes me as amazing the riders I remember. Probably due to their mesmerizing speed and ability. I can still almost remember the sounds and smells of that day at summit at that specific moment during the holeshot. I don't remember much of anything else. But Charlie was 3 gates to the left of the mini summit box.

Yeah, this one hits me a little different. Ray helped me almost every weekend back then. He was my support in the sport. I actually was just getting started in MX back then, the outdoors, AMS indoors...ahh...good times. His wife, Charlie's mom, was there every race also, and it was good fun while it lasted. Once he got hurt, I never saw Mrs. Dunaway again. Heck, I don't see Ray at all so much either since I stopped racing so much and D-11 kicked the bucket. Was good times. Good memories...

I don't remember knowing Charlie on a person level, but just that he was faster than sheet on a local level. Loved to watch him ride..COCR, Kenworthy's, etc., etc. Good to hear he's in fairly good spirits and still follows the sport. I heard otherwise. Good article. Definately a brutal reality of the sport we love. Just goes to prove how good it is when it's good and is why we do it. Take care Charlie and the Dunaway familia!

Back