Best Motocross Helmet

I don't care what helmet it is, if you hit your head hard enough your going to get a concussion. So saying "because I got a concussion while wearing this helmet, it lacks safety" isnt really fair to say in my opinion.. who's to say if it wasnt a quality helmet, that the out come may have been worse. Or if it were a 6d or airoh that it would a been any less of a concussion..

I don't care what helmet it is, if you hit your head hard enough your going to get a concussion. So saying "because I got a concussion while wearing this helmet, it lacks safety" isnt really fair to say in my opinion.. who's to say if it wasnt a quality helmet, that the out come may have been worse. Or if it were a 6d or airoh that it would a been any less of a concussion..
I agree with this......but I also would go another route if this kept happening. 4 concussions is a scary thought.

Yes the helmet can make a difference in the severity or even if you get a concussion.

The design of a helmet is obviously to protect your melon from breaking open. But the secondary purpose is to try and eliminate a concussion. Like Honda907 said, absorbing impacts....how well a helmet absorbs the impact effects concussions. A loose fitted helmet is as bad as no helmet as far as concussions go. The shell and inner lining of a helmet determines how the impact is absorbed and how the energy that isnt absorbed is transfered to your head. That is where the new 6D helmets are trying to improve helmet design. Yes a big knarly crash where you hit your head very hard is going to result in a concussion but manufacturers are working on helping reduce the severity, and in less violent hits you might possibly eliminate them.

The DOT and Snell ratings only apply to the impact the outer shell can take and NOT to the ability of the helmet to reduce or eliminate the energy transfer to your head.

Again, the $100 helmet by HJC isnt going to protect your head as well as the $400-500 helmets. If you think they do them maybe you have taken too many hits in one of the cheapos!

I've worn only Shoei's growing up. Had two concussions, but I don't think any helmet could of prevented the concussions I got. I remember them both vividly---(now anyway, not at the time lol) I hit the ground so hard. Woke up that day at home in the shower for one of them. Another time I remember racing and I couldn't remember the track. Didn't remember wrecking. Was casing everything and finally pulled off and asked my dad what the hell was wrong with me.

I've heard people talk bad about the fly.. not sure why really. I think they are very comfortable, light weight, and fit me well. And retail $320 by no means is a 'cheap' helmet but definitely affordable. Anyways I took a really hard hit last weekend, broke my hand and smashed my head pretty good. I tore up the helmet pretty bad but IMO it did its job. Too bad I only got to wear it a few times and now it is wall art in the garage :( Anyhow I will continue wearing and trusting my fly helmets after that one.
10675630_10152619127291896_1242780893629749179_n.jpg

That crash video of Hershey
In slo mo .. The sound is awesome sounds like finding Bigfoot music..

I am ordering a new airoh. Love em.

You can find much more safety research on helmets than much of the protective gear out there. Just have to look.

Something nice about shopping in person...was at Kames today and was looking at helmets while thinking about this thread...most if not all of the high end helmets explain their research conclusions that lead to the creation of their helmet engineering logic in the product manuals. You can also ask the counter guys to look at the product catalogs of say Fox or Fly or Shoei and it usually explains some basics of their technological choices.

I would always suggest a Snell approved helmet at the least for adults...most kids helmet's are not Snell approved.

When I was a salesman at Kames...one of the things I would ask folks when looking to buy protective gear is..."What is the most important peice of protective gear?" As most would expect...the common answer would be the helmet.

No...it's your mind...making good decisions as a rider is most beneficial to your health and longevity in the sport as well to the other riders around you.

Then the helmet is after the mind, followed by goggles, then boots, then chest protector.

You can find vast amounts of research and testing on helmet design and function.

When selling neck braces...people would ask which one would I suggest...I would give them my personal opinions on pros and cons of each one an pros and cons of wearing one within the different designs or not wearing one at all, and then instruct them to make their own choice. I would also give them the facts. After that I would strongly encourage them to go do their own research and make a personal choice.

On many occasions...folks that were ready to buy that day would go back home, research and them come back to purchase if they did choose one.

As with any protective gear..proper fitmet is the very first priority and then the quality of the product.

As a salesman...it is dutiful to not oversell or undersell, but meet the customer right where they are at. But that also takes having good insight to the sport and knowing the individual customer.

Personal, face to face experience is what I love most about going to local shops. Kames is a leader in Ohio MX apparel and protective gear as for person help and counsel.

Last edited:
Back