Christmas Essay Winner

Strouble

PR Addict
Finally got to meet up with the young man yesterday. He was the first one to respond actually. I did ask to him to re-write his essay because he wrote his first one in haste but it was sincere.

I spent some time talking with this young man on the phone and then we had breakfast yesterday when I gave him my gear.

His basic story is that his parents divorced at 17 when his Dad told his mom one day that he didn't love her anymore and just walked out on both of them. His mother was diagnosed with cancer. He sold his 2006 CRF450 and took up 2 jobs to support his mom as she battled cancer.

Praise The Lord she is in remission now and this young man stuck by his mothers side through it all. He made personal sacrifice for someone else's well being. An example we all can glean from.

He has an 85 CR250 now, along with a fresh set of gear for Christmas. He already has a good helmet.

This young man was very thankful and genuine. I was happy to help him, he deserved the help. I am also pricked in my heart to make him an unreasonably good deal on my bike.

We discussed other things about life, and we both have relatable circumstances. It's nice that I am kinda on the other side of things now; as he is still going through them, to be a friend to him. We became each others friend...so all in all...it all worked out perfectly.

I did give my helmet away at the OIR Benefit...it was a spur of the moment thing. I was still fully intending to ride after that. I didn't commit to hanging up the boots until the day I posted the essay contest.

As for my essay...I realize many folks have unanswered questions. As much as I am willing to answer and be accountable...the wisest route for me to take is silence. Just please understand that I am in a safe place and I am your friend. I am also thankful for your reciprocated friendship in the past, present, and future.

Happy New Year Everyone!!!

Back