Fitness Programs

mshafer62

PR Addict
I got my monthly email from Thumper Talk today and this youtube from Coach Robb (DMXS Radio commentator and former trainer to Ryan Dungey) about pre-exercise stretching caught my eye. You can search youtube for his comments about improving race performance through proper nutrition, hydration and training as well as sign up for his free newsletter.

http://completeracingsolutions.com/

More Comments I nabbed from the TT web page

photo-thumb-404843.png

star.png
star.png
star.png
star.png
star_off.png
1 votes
Improve your Speed & Endurance by Dropping Some Body Fat
Posted by Coach Robb , November 19, 2014 · 1,660 views
One of the most frequent questions I get asked is how to improve speed and endurance on the bike and my answer is always "drop some body fat". When you carry around unwanted body fat, your muscles have to work harder to complete the same amount of work. Fat insulates your body which makes you over-heat, another energy robbing component to your riding and racing. When you decrease your body fat, you immediately improve your VO2 Max number (a sports science number that dictates your ability to utilize oxygen, the higher the number, the better). Here are four simple steps to decreasing your body fat.

Four Ways to Decrease Body Fat
1. Weight training is the key to weight loss. Building a foundation of lean muscle will provide you fat burning centers found in the muscle spindle cells that is created and enhanced with loadbearing exercises like strength training.

2. Feed your gains with protein. People often skip protein intake immediately after they exercise, thinking that they will save 200 to 300 calories. However, a high-quality shot of protein – specifically amino acids, will accelerate lean muscle growth and muscle repair post exercise. The more lean muscle you build the more efficient you are at burning body fat.

3. Determine your physical and mental limiters by completing a strength and cardiovascular assessments (sport specific). Establish specific goals and objectives for the next three, six, and 12 months that will help you eliminate your physical limiters. Research indicates that eight workouts per month is the minimum required to stick to a fitness plan. The more frequently you exercise, the better the odds are that you that your initial effort will turn into a habit. Being mentally focused will help you maintain your motivation levels.

4. If you have been away from training (i.e. off season, illness or injury), ease back into strength training and cardiovascular fitness slowly. Many people try to resume or pick up where they left off when they exercised in the past. This only results in excessively sore muscles, stressed joints, and a negative mental outlook on working out. When you begin your strength exercises, choose a load level that's extremely easy to lift for 8 to 10 reps for two sets. Complete that same amount of weight and reps for three weeks to allow your body adequate time to adjust and adapt (I refer to this as the Anatomical Adaptation Stage). For your cardiovascular exercise, keep your duration less than 30 minutes and keep your intensity low – you should be able to pass the talk test, which is where you could talk to someone else or sing to yourself while exercising without becoming winded.

If you have any questions or need anything clarified, please don't hesitate to post a comment below. Until next time, Train Smart, Not Hard!
-Coach Robb

blogentry-404843-0-10363600-1413061525.gif

From Coach Robbs FB page...

Five Things You Should Do Every Day
1. Sleep 8 hours: when you sleep your body releases hGH (human growth hormone) which makes you leaner. Yes sleeping makes you leaner.

2. Hydrate: consume half of your body weight in ounces of water. So if you weigh 150 pounds/2 = 75 ounces per day. Use a post it note with hash marks to verify that you have consumed your daily goal.

3. Replenish your electrolytes lost in sweat: when you sweat you lose electrolytes. Electrolytes are what is necessary to absorb fluids properly in your stomach as well as play an instrumental part in muscle contraction. If you lose more than 2% of your body weight during exercise, you officially dehydrated and your performance will be negatively effected. Use my Energy Fuel daily to maintain proper electrolyte levels.

4. Eat every 2 hours: consume a piece of fresh fruit, vegetable and a source of quality protein to stabilize your blood sugar levels. See the link below for snack ideas.

5. Exercise every day for 30 minutes: I realize that you have seen this recommendation numerous times since January 1st, but I am asking you to look at exercise differently. Look at 30 minutes of exercise as your personal escape from phone calls, text messages and emails. This is your 30 minutes to break a sweat and clear your head. Note, this is most beneficial when the intensity is low - walking is the ideal exercise of choice here. I promise, if you will walk every day for 30 minutes until it becomes a habit, you will be amazed at your new levels of energy and mental clarity.

http://www.coachrobb.com/NG-category-weekly-food-menus.html

I just looked at the video. Guess I did it correctly warming up to play basketball this evening and most other times that I exercise. But I normally don't stretch much after unless something doesn't feel right. Though I do reverse my motion by walking backwards after running or pedaling in reverse on the exercise bike. I'm really old and work out to feel well. I'm sore and miserable if I don't. I haven't been on a YZ for a couple of months now and have been experiencing some soreness. I just added some new things to my exercise routine to replicate what I'm missing by being off the bikes and it's helping. I lost a bunch of weight last year and plan to loose more by exercising more and eating less. It just takes longer when you're older but it always works.

I just looked at the video. Guess I did it correctly warming up to play basketball this evening and most other times that I exercise. But I normally don't stretch much after unless something doesn't feel right. Though I do reverse my motion by walking backwards after running or pedaling in reverse on the exercise bike. I'm really old and work out to feel well. I'm sore and miserable if I don't. I haven't been on a YZ for a couple of months now and have been experiencing some soreness. I just added some new things to my exercise routine to replicate what I'm missing by being off the bikes and it's helping. I lost a bunch of weight last year and plan to loose more by exercising more and eating less. It just takes longer when you're older but it always works.

I add a glutamine drink to my workout. Never feel sore afterwards. Tastes good too.

Ko1 and everyone else who is reading this thread - That's my point of these posts.
Hopefully members will read these Coach Robb's comments and it will encourage them to try a new exercise routine or new food combination
therefore allowing them the ability to ride longer motos, at a faster pace or to just keep riding as they get older.
It's not intended to be the gospel, You have to find what works well for you.

Anyone want to share their pre - Ohio moto season physical conditioning program?

Ko1 and everyone else who is reading this thread - That's my point of these posts.
Hopefully members will read these Coach Robb's comments and it will encourage them to try a new exercise routine or new food combination
therefore allowing them the ability to ride longer motos, at a faster pace or to just keep riding as they get older.
It's not intended to be the gospel, You have to find what works well for you.

Anyone want to share their pre - Ohio moto season physical conditioning program?
Thanks for sharing! I think a lot of young hopefuls are always searching for the secrets to success that the pros and top amateurs have. I think the secret is to utilize the suggestions that are out there, such as those from Coach Robb, and do them consistently for an entire season. I can't say for certain in the present that you will see results, but knowing you committed 100%, I am fairly confident the post season results will be better than with no consistent pre season preparation.

Interesting article about winter bicycle training.
Lots of good information on the RacerX Virtual Trainer website.
They offer both free comments and individualized premium programs.
http://www.racerxvt.com/

by Editor

This article comes to you from our friends at TrainingPeaks.com. Training Peaks provides the complete web, mobile and desktop solution for enabling smart and effective endurance training. Training Peaks solutions are used by Tour de France teams, Ironman World Champions, Olympians, and age group athletes and coaches around the world to track, analyze and plan their training. It is also what we use at Virtual Trainer to administer our premium training plans. They also have great articles. And while they are written specifically for endurance athletes they are easily adapted for the motocross athlete. This is one such article. - Virtual Trainer

Original Post Link
Author: Chris Carmichael, CEO/Head Coach of CTS

When it’s cold outside there’s always a question about whether to go out or stay in. Here are some tips to help you with your “in-or-out” decision, and a great and quick workout you can do outdoors on a cold day.

Cold Day Outdoor Workout

When it’s cold out and I still want to do an interval workout outside, I stay close to home and focus on short, hard uphill intervals. Why? Hill Sprints are slower than Power Intervals or sprints on flat ground, so you don’t get as chilled from the speed. They’re max-intensity efforts, so they generate plenty of lactate – the stimulus I’m after – and plenty of heat. And since the hill is short, the descent is quick so you don’t freeze (like you sometimes do descending from long Climbing Repeat intervals on a cold day).

The workout I like to do is 10x90 seconds Hill Sprints. Find a steep hill (6% grade or more, preferably) you can climb in about 90-seconds. Start accelerating about 100 meters before the pitch steepens and use your shifting to stay on top of the gear (don’t bog down). You can stand or sit; I like to start out standing and then sit about halfway through. The recovery should be at least 90 seconds, but can be longer if it takes longer to circle back to the base of the hill. For me, it takes about 3-minutes to get to the base of the hill, so I’m doing 10x90 seconds with 3-minute recovery between intervals.

Are you like these guys who has to make the best of a bad weather situation......
Inside or outside?

There are a few questions you need to ask yourself when deciding whether to venture out for a ride on a cold day:

How cold is it outside?
Temperature isn’t everything, but it’s a good place to start. There are some people who ride no matter what the temperature but I’m not one of them. My minimum is about 30-degrees; below that I feel like I’m going through the motions but that I could get more high-quality work done indoors. Your minimum temperature might be higher or lower than mine, but I’d encourage you to consider your effectiveness on the bike (as well as your safety) when establishing your minimum.

How are the conditions, aside from the temperature?
In Colorado, when it’s sunny and calm, you can ride comfortably at 30 degrees. However, 30 degrees, cloud cover, and a 20mph wind gets cold and miserable quickly. In areas where the humidity is higher (ours percentage is in the teens), like the East Coast, a 30-degree day feels colder – even if it’s sunny – than 30 degrees in a drier climate.

Will it get warmer or colder while you’re out there?
A cold start can turn into a nice ride if the air temperature increases as your working out. This is especially true if you’re going out for an interval workout, because you’ll work up a sweat during the intervals and be riding home at a lighter intensity level. Cruising home while the temperatures are plummeting (late afternoon, incoming cold front, etc.) isn’t the end of the world, but it’s not great either. If temperatures are going to fall, be sure you’re carrying additional layers (preferably wind resistant) to put on. Remember, too, that you get hot in a tailwind and cold in a headwind. Plan your route with this in mind. Going home in a tailwind as the air temperature is falling would be more comfortable than going home into a cold headwind as the sun is going down.

Do you have the right gear for the conditions?
If you don’t have the gear for cold rides, do yourself a favor and ride inside. You’ll be more effective on the bike, more comfortable, and you won’t get yourself in trouble with either hypothermia or frostbite. If you’re going to ride outdoors, invest in high-quality gear. It’s expensive, but you only wear it for a portion of the year so it lasts for several seasons at least and it makes winter training much easier.

.....or are you like these riders who get to enjoy nice weather year around.

Photo: Aldon Baker Instagram (Aldon104)

What’s your goal for the day?
If your goal is to go out for a moderate-intensity endurance ride, then going out on a cold day can be great. You might not have as much “spring in your step” as you might on a warmer day, but you’ll stay warm and you don’t have to worry about the power or pace very much. If you have a very specific interval workout planned, I often recommend doing it indoors when it’s bitterly cold outside. The results are typically better. Now, if you’re racing cyclocross or preparing for an event that’s going to be cold, then you have to get out there and do race-pace efforts in the cold. But if you’re going to be racing in the summer, you’re better off completing higher-quality intervals indoors compared to mediocre ones outside on a 25-degree afternoon.

Keep Warm!
Chris Carmichael
CEO/Head Coach of CTS

That's it for now, until next time, good luck with your training and remember, if you have a question, log on to the Virtual Trainer Expert Forum and have your question answered by a panel of experts. In addition, be sure and check out the Racer X Virtual Trainer archive section. Your complete one-stop information zone for motocross fitness.
vt_endarticle.jpg

Back