Go Pro set up help

John250

PR Founding Father
Matthew (my son) got a new Go Pro 4 Silver for Christmas. He used it for the first time, and down loaded a video. The video is real choppy and stutters, almost like your getting every third or 4th frame. A quick google says something about the resolution setting.

I am NOT a tech type guy, and don't want to be....but not totally stupid to computers either. Can one of you Go Pro experts give me a quick easy to understand Go Pro 101 on what to set his settings at, anything we need to know to download, etc.

The computer should not be an issue. Plenty of memory and all the recommended needs there.

I have the same problem with the hero 3. i have changes the frames per second and messed with the resolution. 1080 vs. 4 billion .....
I did buy a better memory card. there is a difference in high speed or not high speed cards.
I will also be watching this thread for some additional guidence. (could be your playback computer is stalling too)

Trying playing the video in media player classic ( http://mpc-hc.org/ ) instead of windows media player. If it still won't playback smooth on your PC, it sounds to me like it is your computer. The GoPro is probably setup to record in 1080p 60fps out of the box. You can tone it down for smoother playback but quality will suffer a bit.

OR

It could be that the memory card you have in the GoPro isn't fast enough. However when I had this problem it showed its head while trying to record. It would just stop recording mid video repeatedly. It would still playback what it did record fine. Do you have a class 10 memory card in there?

What is a class 10? I bought the most expensive one they had that said for video devices. I also had the problem with the card that came with the camera.

Before doing anything, make sure you're not recording at 4k. On the 4-Silver, 4k mode records at 15 frames per second. This will be noticeably choppy with fast action footage.

You'll want to have the correct SD card as was mentioned above. This is from GoPro's website. I use a Sandisk Extreme 64GB (shown below) and have no issues.

GoPro said:
HERO4 Black & Silver

• A Class 10 MicroSD card up to 64 GB is required.
Not all Class 10 microSD cards have the same data write speeds. Due to the higher bit rate capabilities and to support new features of HERO4 camera, we have provided a list of recommended cards that provide the best experience

• SanDisk Extreme 32GB microSDHC (SDSDQXL-032G)
  • SanDisk Extreme 64GB microSDXC (SDSDQXL-064G)
  • Lexar 32GB SDHC 633x (LSDMI32GBBNL633R)
  • Lexar 64GB SDXC 633x (LSDMI64GBBNL633R)

The 4-Silver records 1080p at a max 60 frame per second. For fast action motocross I would recommend setting it to 720p which will record at 120 FPS. To do this either 1) try and navigate the GoPro unit itself to change the record settings or 2) (my preferred) use the GoPro app on a smartphone over the GoPro's WiFi to change the settings.

Lastly, playback directly from the device can be choppy in both the audio and video. I prefer to take the SD card out and transfer my movie files to the computer before viewing.

Lol Hudak, That doesn't bother me. There is Nothing that a good shower and excellent hand washing can't get rid of.

The problem is, it's cold out and I'm staring at this new 144 that isn't even broke in. T minus 4 weeks until Break in. T minus 4....

image.jpg
Going out shoes!

Before doing anything, make sure you're not recording at 4k. On the 4-Silver, 4k mode records at 15 frames per second. This will be noticeably choppy with fast action footage.

You'll want to have the correct SD card as was mentioned above. This is from GoPro's website. I use a Sandisk Extreme 64GB (shown below) and have no issues.

The 4-Silver records 1080p at a max 60 frame per second. For fast action motocross I would recommend setting it to 720p which will record at 120 FPS. To do this either 1) try and navigate the GoPro unit itself to change the record settings or 2) (my preferred) use the GoPro app on a smartphone over the GoPro's WiFi to change the settings.

Lastly, playback directly from the device can be choppy in both the audio and video. I prefer to take the SD card out and transfer my movie files to the computer before viewing.
You seem to have some expertise in this area. I bought my son the gopro hero3 plus and the problem we are having is, it will only allow us to download some of the video's that he has taken. Some of them show up with a pad lock in the bottom corner of the video/pic that shows up on the computer screen when he has the camera hooked directly to our Apple computer. When we click on the video it says error. We called gopro and they said to try a sd adaptor, from the mini sd card to the standard size sd card and put it directly into the Apple computer but that didn't solve anything either. Any suggestions? Thanks

I hate Best Buy, but I had a gift card to use up, so I bought Matthews there. They had a bundle package that was like the same price of the Camera (Hero 4 Silver) that included a storage case, 16GB Memory Card and a couple others things in the bundle.

Back