Hub identification

MX099

PR Addict
I need a rear hub. Can anyone tell me what years and models of RM rear hubs are interchangeable with my 1979 RM250?
I'm also looking for a shock upgrade, new or used. Any ideas?

They way I chase down those compatibility questions is to find one of the OEM parts sites.

Like this one.
http://www.suzukipart.com/oemparts/#/c/suzuki_motorcycle_1979/parts

I look up my model year and get the part number. Then I expand my search to the years before and after until I find a different part number for the part I am looking for. I figure the years with the same part numbers are a sure fit. Then I start looking at different displacements and close models for certain types of parts to chase down the same part number.

For example the part number for a RM250 rear hub is the same for RM250 B,C, and C2 - which is up to 1978 1/2 but then changed in 1979.

Suzuki shows the same part number for 79 and 80 RM 250 and RM 400 rear hubs. PEs, 125s, and other models like TS show a different rear hub than RMs in 1979 and 1980. I suspect you could make other years work.

I bet there are other ways and guys that fabricate better than me or with more experience can expand the compatibility window to make other year parts work but that is the way I start.

After I have the part number, I Google and/or look for it on EBAY. A NOS one sold in November on EBAY matching the 64110-40304 part number for $154.00 and a 79 Rm400 rear HUB listing ended a few minutes ago at $111.00. You can search the completed auctions and find it - I would send them a message and offer them less since it didn't sell at $111.00

I have found that you can't always rely on EBAY sellers knowing what part fits what year or model. And sometimes the part they stripped from the bike might not have been right before they took it off.

DanO

Last edited:
Back