Never ridden Dirtbike/MX Bike looking for input on what to buy :)

Hello Everyone:

I got into riding trails on my quad about 2 years ago and keep looking at the bikes on the trails and have gotten to the point of "that looks like a like a lot of fun". This year my goal is to ditch the 4 wheels and get onto 2 wheels either a dirt bike or MX bike.

I have been looking at the Yahama TTR 230 as it seems to fit me well. I am looking for input on the bike to purchase something in 6 months that I will not be saying - damn - I need get a bigger bike - but not something so big I will kill myself learning.

If your going to do a lot of woods riding consider a Honda CRF250X, or a Yamaha WR250. These will take more off-road abuse than the TTR.

Woods KTM 300XC.

DIRT: yz250 2 stroke. Or yz250f four stroke.

All based on suspension in woods. And all based on suspension and motor for the dirt category....

If your going to do a lot of woods riding consider a Honda CRF250X, or a Yamaha WR250. These will take more off-road abuse than the TTR.

x2. I'd stick with 250 four strokes with electric start. The two 099 mentioned come to mind. A third would be the KTM.

Stay away from motocross tracks for now until you get some decent hours on two wheels. Throw some bark busters on there and have fun.

Good entry level bike? Find a good condition 1989 - 2006 Kaw KDX200 or 220, ideally with a pipe / silencer already installed. They are about as reliable as gravity, easy to work on, and the motor hasn't changed much since 1989. It saw a chassis redesign in either 95 or 96. I have seen them go around a track at a decent pace.

A clean WR250F will be great AND it will have some modest capabilities on a track when you get to that point. There is really no actual chassis / suspension component differences between the WR and YZ; just valving and spring rate.

Heck, get the KTM 350 SX. Not thinking you could go wrong here. How much you weigh? Not that that makes a huge difference now, but may as you go forward. Either that or pick you favorite color plastic. They're all good bikes really. Have fun! See you at the 'Cliff. ;)

I would go with either a 250 2 stroke or 250F Four Stroke. 2 stroke is MUCH cheaper to maintain. The TTR 230 is a great play bike, but you will be begging for something with more suspension after a month or two on the bike for sure.

170 pounds soaking wet...a towering 5'8 in height

As much as I enjoy my smoker, I'd definitely go thumper. I'll get another 450 myself some day. Any 250 would work. The 350 would get you as far as you want to go. Just pick a color and be done with it. Welcome. :)

As much as I enjoy my smoker, I'd definitely go thumper. I'll get another 450 myself some day. Any 250 would work. The 350 would get you as far as you want to go. Just pick a color and be done with it. Welcome. :)
I don't get the feeling he's a experienced rider and for never riding dirt bikes I don't think a 250 two stroke or 350/450 four stroke is a good option... I'd say a 125 /150 two stroke would get u hooked on bikes you'll feel like a hero riding it although u won't be winning any drag races. Nothing more fun than a 2 stroke in the trails

Crf250x for sure. Electric start and based off the mx version so you can upgrade easily as you progress!
Plenty of great deals out there too.

image.jpg

Definitely not a 450. 125 smoker if you can rev it and you like writing for your fun. I could never do it. Just get a bike bro. Have fun!

Oh, I came from 3 wheelers. Word of advice...get your nuts on the tank. Makes corners much easier...took me years from steering with rear wheels to leaning over to learn that one...

Look under classifieds, 2013 crf 250. Comes with extras, and at only 6 hours, its a steal. It's also set up for your weight.

Last edited:
Back