AMA BIG ANNOUNCEMENT ?

It's here. The vintage schedule is posted. Looks different, but a LOT more opportunities for guys to ride. It's hard to please everybody. But the AMA has certainly increased their support for vintage racing this year.

If the AMA is going to offer a "National Chanpionship" it should be based on a series of races & not just one event. Crap they might as well just sell the trophies.
Sounds like they are just padding their pockets on the biggest Vintage event without offering the racers a real series that would require point keeping.
Sadly not much bang for the buck for AMA Vintage racers. The AHRMA & AMA split was the worse thing to ever happen to Vintage racing looking at the years before
and after.
I'm alittle bummed about the thought this change is a money grab. We are offering a Free practice session on Friday evening at VMD for those who take part in a Vintage Grand Tour event leading up to VMD, we are giving more riding and racing time at VMD then we have ever have, plus we are going to give special moto medals away after each moto and interview the winners. We have significantly changed the national classes so their will be no participation awards. We are not forcing racers to drive all-over the country (like ahrma) to win a National Championship which is truly a participation awards. Plus with this format, we plan to move the National Championship around to other facilities in future years. Not VMD but the Vintage Motocross National Championship.

I know it might be hard to see, but we are trying to grow and expand AMA Vintage racing to new participants and demographics.

Thanks for your attention to vintage racing Alex.
Will the VMD round be the only hare scramble counted for the national championship, and will it be run under the same format as 2014 on Friday?
Also, with the new 3 Moto format, how will a rider competing in Vintage Hare scramble, MX, and trials be scheduled for the weekend?
Thanks again

Alex, the schedule looks good but I just don't see how forcing guys to race over two days could help anything but make more money. If the plan is to ride 2 moto's on a PV bike and one on a vintage bike then that means there is time to do all 3 on one day. The guys that can only make it on one day are now screwed.

You and the AMA seem to be pushing all the right buttons lately so I will retract my statement but I reserve to right to thumb my nose and yell "I told you so" if it does not work. :)

I'm excited about VMD. Last year I only went on Sunday this year I will make a weekend out of it. Will it cost a bit more, sure but I guarantee we will have a great time and all be looking forward the next one. Alex thanks for this new program. I'm sure you guys put in a lot of effort so us old guys have more opportunities to ride.

I know it might be hard to see, but we are trying to grow and expand AMA Vintage racing to new participants and demographics.

We see it Alex, thanks for all the work. You have made a huge positive impact in the short time you have worked at the AMA.

I do tend to agree with the others though about preferring to race all 3 motos per class in one day and just dividing up the classes over two days like before.

But whatever you guys setup, I'll be there from Thursday to Sunday. It's one of the most fun weekends of the season for me.

The AMA Vintage Hare Scramble National Championship will be held on Friday just like last year. After the hare scramble we will open the track to the MX guys to play on.

I disagree with doing three motos on a 1-day format. Realize we have a from 9:30 to 5pm to run races. (not counting the awards presentation) That's only 7.5 hours of racing time to run around a minimum of 25 motos with two intermissions. That barely gives riders 10 minute motos with less time to work on their bikes between motos. Remember the demographic we are dealing with (no offense) old guys on old bikes. If anything giving these guys more time between motos to work/fix their bikes is a huge benefit. You will notice a ton of DNSs in the second motos due to not enough time to work on their machines.

I plan run 15 minute motos and to run Vintage classes then Post-vintage classes to break up the race order. I few this very much like a Regional... we will get through the first round of the race order and half of the race order on Saturday. Then start on Sunday where we left off. Then have a awards ceremony after the event.

I'm. In. Mid Ohio is the best MX event going. We will also be traveling to a few others. I may not sell the 87 now that it has its own class

I'm. In. Mid Ohio is the best MX event going. We will also be traveling to a few others. I may not sell the 87 now that it has its own class

As soon as I saw the new class I looked in the classifieds to see if you had pulled your 87 ad yet. My bet is you will be lined up on it in the Classic Non-Current open class this summer.

I like the 15 min motos until you get running late and cut them to 4 laps! sounds interesting though hope it works out well.

beenridin I dont think you would make that comment if you have been to Unadilla MX Rewind or Diamond Dons!

For me VMD is close. 4 days. Lots of folk I don't see at regular races. Even my wife and extended family makes it about every other year. It is the best...

The thing about VMD that put it over the top for many of us is the fact that it is close for us. The events that Wheeler posted are certainly bucket list items but for me to make them a regular every year event is not realistic. Hoping to make Unadilla this year!

I will make DD and ins dills eventually. They have conflicted with family stuff the past few years.
Broome Tioga was sweet a few years back.
VMD is just over the top for me

Back