Question to fathers out there about helmets for kids

Vargo671

PR Addict
I am looking to purchase a new helmet for my son and would like some feedback from fathers who have an opinion (or others). My son is 8 and I am thinking about getting the Fox V1 youth, but I know there is better helmets out there. His head is actually big enough to wear a small adult, but I believe the mass of the helmet would be too much for his neck in a crash and have decided against going with one of them.

Any help would be appreciated if anyone has any experience with the youth V1. I guess I am looking for peace of mind or guidance to another product.

When we first started we knew nothing. Probably don't know thet much more now. We bought an HJC helmet for our son. We then upgraded to a 661 later. After attending a well known training school, the owner/trainer pulled our helmet apart and showed the issues that the helmet had in terms of quality/safety. Then the owner/trainer pulled apart a shoei, and since have we worn those for years. We switched to an Arai about 15 months ago. Either one is what we would now go with. Never had a Bell, but i hear they are similar in construction, materials, and safety. When I think back to that $20 helmet I cringe. If I can afford bikes for my son, and spend $$$$ going racing, I sure as heck make sure I can afford the safest lids out there. I'd say Shoei, Arai, Bell. JMO. Good luck with your decision.

I am looking to purchase a new helmet for my son and would like some feedback from fathers who have an opinion (or others). My son is 8 and I am thinking about getting the Fox V1 youth, but I know there is better helmets out there. His head is actually big enough to wear a small adult, but I believe the mass of the helmet would be too much for his neck in a crash and have decided against going with one of them.

Any help would be appreciated if anyone has any experience with the youth V1. I guess I am looking for peace of mind or guidance to another product.
We have had several youth V1s and have been happy with them as far as fit, finish. I can't give you any statistical feedback on crash results. He's been on his lid a few times hard enough to break the visors off with no concussion like symptoms, although it would be hard to tell with him. I chose the V1 because it was the lightest helmet for youths without going into the extreme dollar range and they are DOT and Snell 2010 certified.

When we first started we knew nothing. Probably don't know thet much more now. We bought an HJC helmet for our son. We then upgraded to a 661 later. After attending a well known training school, the owner/trainer pulled our helmet apart and showed the issues that the helmet had in terms of quality/safety. Then the owner/trainer pulled apart a shoei, and since have we worn those for years. We switched to an Arai about 15 months ago. Either one is what we would now go with. Never had a Bell, but i hear they are similar in construction, materials, and safety. When I think back to that $20 helmet I cringe. If I can afford bikes for my son, and spend $$$$ going racing, I sure as heck make sure I can afford the safest lids out there. I'd say Shoei, Arai, Bell. JMO. Good luck with your decision.
I wear a Shoei myself and buy one for my son, but they don't offer youth helmets. An XS would for him but I worry about the larger shell/mass.

We have had several youth V1s and have been happy with them as far as fit, finish. I can't give you any statistical feedback on crash results. He's been on his lid a few times hard enough to break the visors off with no concussion like symptoms, although it would be hard to tell with him. I chose the V1 because it was the lightest helmet for youths without going into the extreme dollar range and they are DOT and Snell 2010 certified.
Thanks for the reply. He's been using an HJC for last few years, but I now regret buying it. I wish I originally would have gone with the V1.

Get a Bell Shoei or Arai and sleep well at night knowing you have a product from a helmet company
I would agree, but Shoei doesn't offer a youth helmet. Don't know about the other two, but what are your thoughts on the weight/mass difference? I'm trying to look this stuff up but seems to be difficult finding what the SHoei XS weighs.

Can't say I ever gave it any thought buy can't believe a few oz. or grams would make much of a difference

Can't say I ever gave it any thought buy can't believe a few oz. or grams would make much of a difference

I am in the same boat, I use Airoh helmets for me. Why, they are the lightest. I want a light helmet for my kid too. I have been looking for a new one for the boy without sucsess yet.
I will be watching this post for some insight. lighter will be easier on their young necks.

I did buy them both Kali helmets for BMX/Mountain bikes. they are very light and nice quality. never looked into MX lids though....

Anyone remember thos guys from Lorretta lynns last year with watermelons on their heads?

IMAG0185_crop.jpg

I'm switching to a TLD open face helmet, Jofa and Scott goggles this year. But if I had a mini kid I think it would be hard to talk me out of putting him or her into a 6D.

Stay away from anything left over that is rated snell 2005 and maybe even 2007. The outer shell was so hard during low speed crashes it transferred all the energy to your head!!! The snell 2010 is more in line with the ece certification from Europe. I did a lot of research on this after my cuncussion. If you do a YouTube search you can learn the difference between all the different certifications. Fit is important! My son wears a shoei adult xs. Similar in size to a youth large.... Fit and finish is great. And it's our second one. He had a bad crash last year and cracked the helmet and pushed in the foam. Now it hangs on the wall. There are a lot of nice cheaper helmets out there. And you will get arguments both ways. But at the end of the day. I want to know I gave him the best helmet I could find. Other brands I was considering we're 6d. Soumey. And airoh.

I'm switching to a TLD open face helmet, Jofa and Scott goggles this year. But if I had a mini kid I think it would be hard to talk me out of putting him or her into a 6D.
I understand they are new technology but haven't read much on them. Do you mind sharing why you would?

Stay away from anything left over that is rated snell 2005 and maybe even 2007. The outer shell was so hard during low speed crashes it transferred all the energy to your head!!! The snell 2010 is more in line with the ece certification from Europe. I did a lot of research on this after my cuncussion. If you do a YouTube search you can learn the difference between all the different certifications. Fit is important! My son wears a shoei adult xs. Similar in size to a youth large.... Fit and finish is great. And it's our second one. He had a bad crash last year and cracked the helmet and pushed in the foam. Now it hangs on the wall. There are a lot of nice cheaper helmets out there. And you will get arguments both ways. But at the end of the day. I want to know I gave him the best helmet I could find. Other brands I was considering we're 6d. Soumey. And airoh.
Do you mind sharing how old your son is and weight? I am definitely leaning towards a Shoei or Airoh.

My son is 11 and has been riding since 4. When he was very small we used the HJC youth helmets. Later switched to the Fox and have been extremely happy with them. I hear what everyone is saying about shoei, arai, etc.....I have worn both, wear arai now, and think I am buying a new Shoei next week. But my son grows so fast, I have a hard time forking out $500 to $600 for a helmet for him. I wear mine for a few years minimum, him a year.

He is currently wearing a Fox V2, and I feel totally safe with him in that helmet. We bought last years model and saved a little more money. He wears them for about a year so they are always fairly new. I don't believe that with kids that are growing so fast that they need a $600 helmet. And be careful, people say buy a bell, well Bell has some very cheap entry helmets too.

My son is 11. And weighs about 80#. I have owned a shoei vfx-w and currently own a 6d. I purchased a 6d for my son as well but it didn't fit his head at all! The shoei fits like a glove. And I will be honest. Maybe it's just my head as well. But I'm not to happy with the fit of the 6d myself. Weird pressure points in some spots. I probably won't buy another. Unless they change. I do like the concept though. Seeing that most impacts are minor but can still result in brain injury. the technology that 6d uses is designed to lessen the force transferred in these types of crashes. And their data still shows the same protection with higher impacts. Weather or not this holds true is up in the air. In the end there are a lot of helmets out there that do the job. Do some reading. There is a lot of literature out there that tells you all about helmet design and ratings. The u tube video titled ECE vs SNELL vs DOT I do believe has some great educational points. They have one demonstration showing how the eps foam works in conjunction with the shell. And what happens when one fails. Good stuff lol. Makes you wonder how we survived with the open faced bell helmets as kids.

Back