Suzuki 1980 RM250

dmx153

PR Founding Father
Hey guys, just looking for some pointers or tips on a 1980 RM250 I picked up recently. It's never had numbers on it, appears to still have the stock tires and is overall pretty solid. I need to re-do the forks but can the shocks be re-built? I keep getting in deeper with the vintage stuff so any help would appreciated.

Hey guys, just looking for some pointers or tips on a 1980 RM250 I picked up recently. It's never had numbers on it, appears to still have the stock tires and is overall pretty solid. I need to re-do the forks but can the shocks be re-built? I keep getting in deeper with the vintage stuff so any help would appreciated.

Anything can be rebuilt with the right combination of time, effort and money! But if they are the stock shocks, don't bother. They sucked. Put gold valves and spring the front. Pick a good modern valved set of shocks. But, you already knew all this....

Cheapest replacement shocks are likely Works Performance like I had on my 78 RM. Still not cheap though, I think they were like $480 for the set.

1978RM250C2-02.JPG

Cheapest replacement shocks are likely Works Performance like I had on my 78 RM. Still not cheap though, I think they were like $480 for the set.

The Works Performance shocks are nice. I put a set of Race Techs on a different bike and the Works are just fine at half the cost. I have heard, no experience, to stay away from Progressive vintage shocks.

There is something familiar about John's 78 C2 photo.

4928-1424278745-90e7f784b29600ab9af8a20298180a89.jpg

Back