Yz 250 clutch basket

jms158bmx

PR Member
Just changed the oil in my 06 and noticed something. Looking in the oil fill hole the clutch basket looks terrible. Big gouge marks and slightly discolored. Never had any clutch issues. Its the original 06 clutch so I just went ahead and ordered a hinson. What could cause this?

Where are the gouges? The clutch plates will wear grooves into the fingers of the basket over time. Hinson will fix that though.

Gytrs are real nice too. Can get EM cheaper from a yamaha dealer with a good discount.

Are the gouge marks equal and even on the fingers ? That's just from the plates and fingers hammering into each other. If that was original clutch from 06 then the OEM is a damn nice clutch. lol

How do I post a picture? Clutch was wasted. Plates and fibers were fine though. Yes its the original 06. Prolly have 600hrs on it. Guess Im not too hard on clutches.

Just put in its 4th topend. Couple sets brake pads, tires, few chain n sprockets, and one bottom end. Best bike Ive ever owned. I have a brand new 13 yzf250 that collects dust. This clutch basket set of a 1500 maintence spending spree. Cant complain 9 seasons of abuse its done very good.

All the reviews say yamahas are bullet proof and the best machine to own if you plan on doing least amount of maintenance.

Try a Wiseco Forged clutch basket. They are the only forged basket on the market and will not wear out. They offer a lifetime warranty as well. My CR250 has had the same Wiseco basket since 2006 and still looks like new. They also make pressure plates and hubs from sweet forged alloy.

Back