More from Coach Robb...Eliminate Arm Pump

mshafer62

PR Addict
Nabbed from Thumper Talk, here is Part 1
Eliminate Arm Pump - Part 1 (Establish Optimum Range of Motion & Strength): Quads, Hamstrings, Calves
Posted by Coach Robb , February 18, 2015 · 2,024 views
A few weeks back, I published a video about Arm Pump and received a tremendous amount of emails questions along with some comments posted here on TT. As promised, I have put together a six part series of videos to help you eliminate arm pump during riding and racing.

If you watched my Arm Pump video (Click here if you haven't seen it yet), you understand that my experience with arm pump is associated with bad body position. Specifically, if your center point (i.e. belly button) falls behind the pegs, the only muscles left to hand onto the bike is your forearm muscles.
To keep this from happening, you need to grip and move the bike around with your legs, glutes (butt muscles), core muscles and lower back verses your arms (specifically your forearms).

This week we will look at the lower body muscles (front and back):

Pre-Exercise Foam Rolling
With this in mind, please Click Here and implement 5-10 minutes of these lower body foam roller exercises PRIOR to warming up with some low intensity cardio for 10 minutes (Concept 2 rower, Bicycle, Treadmill, Elliptical, etc.).
Note: you can use a foam roller, tennis ball, lacrosse ball, etc.

Leg Specific Strength Exercises
Click Hereand choose four (4) of the leg exercises. 2 to 3 sets - 10-15 Repetitions - 30 second rest
Two to the front and two to the back of your legs. This will create muscular balance and help eliminate knee pain.

Cardio Challenge - Lower Leg specific
Complete 3 x 30 seconds of a Star (Click Here for an instructional Video). Click here and learn how the Star exercise is relative to riding a motorcycle.

Post Exercise - Single Leg Stretches
Click Here and spend 10 minutes completing these seven single leg exercises to improve your flexibility.

Strive to implement this series of exercises three times a week. If you would like to review how we implement strength training with riding and other cross training exercises, please click here to reach our Customer Service department and request "Sample Training Overview".

Next week we will discuss and break down your core and lower back. Until next time, Train Smart, Not Hard!

Yours in sport and health,
-Coach Robb

2/3rds through the video when he says, "One word of advise..." I think he meant to say, ''Don't do these so close to the pool!"

Eliminate Arm Pump - Part 2 (Establish Optimum Range of Motion & Strength): Glutes, Lower Back & Core)
Posted by Coach Robb, March 03, 2015 · 484 views
Here is part two of a six part series of videos to help you eliminate arm pump during riding and racing.

If you watched my Arm Pump video (Click hereif you haven't seen it yet), you understand that my experience with arm pump is associated with bad body position. Specifically, if your center point (i.e. belly button) falls behind the pegs, the only muscles left to hand onto the bike is your forearm muscles. To keep this from happening, you need to grip and move the bike around with your legs, glutes (butt muscles), core muscles and lower back verses your arms (specifically your forearms).

This week we will look at the glutes (your butt muscles), lower back and core (abdominal muscles) to help improve your strength and endurance on the motorcycle to maintain the proper body position and keep the load off of your arms and onto bigger and stronger muscles.

Pre-Exercise Foam Rolling
As mentioned in Part 1, please Click Here and implement 5-10 minutes of these lower body foam roller exercises PRIOR to warming up with some low intensity cardio for 10 minutes (Concept 2 rower, Bicycle, Treadmill, Elliptical, etc.).
Note: you can use a foam roller, tennis ball, lacrosse ball, etc.

Glutes, Lower Back and Core Specific Strength Exercises
Click Here for a complete list of Glutes, Lower Back and Core specific exercises to choose from.
Choose four (4) exercises per body part: Glutes, Lower Back and Core
Complete 2 to 3 sets and 10-15 Repetitions with 30 seconds of rest in between each exercise.

Cardio Challenge
Complete 3 x 30 seconds of a Jump Rope (Click Herefor an instructional Video). Click here and learn how the Jump Rope exercise is relative to riding a motorcycle.

Post Exercise Flexibility
Click Here and spend 10 minutes completing two to four exercises specific to your glutes, lower back and core to improve your flexibility.

Strive to implement this series of exercises three times a week. If you would like to review how we implement strength training with riding and other cross training exercises, please Click Here to reach our Customer Service department and request "Sample Training Overview".

Next week we will discuss and break down your Shoulders, Chest and Neck and how they relate to proper body position on the bike. Until next time, Train Smart, Not Hard!

Yours in sport and health,
-Coach Robb

Back