Andrew Short starts

John250

PR Founding Father
I think Andrew Short is riding great this season, and is showing he still has plenty in the tank to compete. His starts have been awesome. He is a holeshot machine this season. Saw on the telecast, he is pulling 3rd gear starts.

I know it is a factory bike, with probably a different gear box and gearing, but never seem anyone else use 3rd gear on a 450. My guess is once he leaves the gate, he probably rides a majority of the track in 3rd gear and never shifts. That and with a Rekluse clutch he is basically riding an automatic.

I didn't even realize he was using a Rekluse. I'm kind of surprised by that.

He is definitely a machine, really awesome to see him up front. Dude has heart, especially after hearing how sick he was a couple weeks ago, then the travel troubles he had at Daytona. Used to fly small planes for a short while, and there is no way you can get a decent rest in one bouncing all the way to Florida.

And yet he never pulls off...leaves it all on the track...every time.

Andrew uses a Hinson clutch. It is my belief though that the clutches all these pros are using are basically a Rekluse type clutch no matter if it is a Hinson, or whatever. None of the pros bikes ever stall in a fall or anything these days. My point was with a 3rd gear start, using a Rekluse and probably 3rd gear on a majority of the track......it has got to be like riding an auto.

Andrew uses a Hinson clutch. It is my belief though that the clutches all these pros are using are basically a Rekluse type clutch no matter if it is a Hinson, or whatever. None of the pros bikes ever stall in a fall or anything these days. My point was with a 3rd gear start, using a Rekluse and probably 3rd gear on a majority of the track......it has got to be like riding an auto.

Does Hinson make a centrifugal clutch?

And do you understand how those clutches work? It doesn't give your bike longer gears or shift for you. I don't get the 'auto' reference I guess.

qbPvP3q.png

COVER BLOWN o noeess

The bike I just had had the Hinson installed. It's about a $1400 get up. All it does is almost entirely remove engine braking on a 4-stroke. Don't know how it works, but it does.

Andrew uses a slipper clutch from Hinson. It helps but still takes skill and practice with the lever to pull it off. I've met and rode with Andrew by far the nicest guy you could meet, but a lot of riders think he is a dirty rider.

The auto reference is that they are geared to run in almost one gear on a Supercross track, and they don't have to even use the clutch to shift with the Rekluse. Therefore an auto. My dad rode many Husquvarna Autos back in the late 70s and early 80s. They were weird bikes, but worked for him in the woods. Terry Cunningham won some championships on them also. No engine break, and free wheeled down hill too much. But man could they climb hills.

Everything old is new again... If you rode a 500 smoke and didn't start in 3rd you were last to the first turn or on your arse ten feet off the gate..
Only thing Short needs to work on is wearing matching boots... The one orange and one yellow was cute the first time. Since then it just looks like he is SERIOUSLY color blind. Well, that and maybe staying power since he fades like a pair of Tough Skins in a bucket of bleach.

I've read that Dungey runs a 13/51 instead of the 14/52 stock, possible Short is doing something similar?

3rd gear starts on a 450 in SX are pretty common....I dont understand why everyone is making a big deal about that. SX gearing is usually 2-3 teeth higher so they can pull 3rd gear through tight sections easier.

The auto reference is that they are geared to run in almost one gear on a Supercross track, and they don't have to even use the clutch to shift with the Rekluse. Therefore an auto. My dad rode many Husquvarna Autos back in the late 70s and early 80s. They were weird bikes, but worked for him in the woods. Terry Cunningham won some championships on them also. No engine break, and free wheeled down hill too much. But man could they climb hills.

A Rekluse is no different than any other clutch when it comes to shifting. Some say a motorcycle trans is made to be shifted without using the clutch. I for one stopped using the clutch to shift my bikes back in 01 or 02.. I doubt any pro does, all of those fractions of a second when you aren't putting power down add up.

Rekluse recommends 3 gear starts. It's another advantage of the product. You can also adjust the engine break out as well.

How does a Hinson reduce engine brake??
WHAT’S IT DO? By its very name, it is obvious that aslipper clutch slips. The Hinson Back Torque Limiter clutch (BTL) doesn’t slip all the time, only when the unique clutch mechanism senses deceleration. When you chop the throttle, like before braking bumps, half way through the whoops or down steep, bumpy hills, the BTL slipper clutch acts as though you’ve pulled the clutch lever in.

Don’t confuse a slipper clutch with an automatic clutch (like the Rekluse Z-Start clutch). It is not an automatic; you still have to pull the clutch in to start, shift or stop. It just slips when you back off on the throttle.

How does it work? A slipper clutch is basically two clutches in one. The first clutch is activated by the clutch lever. The second clutch is activated by centrifugal force within the spinning clutch basket. When the clutch’s internal moving parts decelerate, the difference in momentum disengages the clutch.

WHAT STANDS OUT? Here’s a list of things that stand out with the Hinson BTL slipper clutch.

(1) Performance. Although the BTL is a clutch, and it is inside your engine, its biggest advantages show up in the chassis (where it works as an anti-chain torque device). When you chop the throttle on a big four-stroke, the decompression of the engine slows forward momentum dramatically. This creates wheel hop, which you feel as kicking on the entrance of turns or in the whoops. A slipper clutch significantly lessens wheel hop in braking bumps and at the end of long whoop sections. Additionally, it lessens decompression braking and makes a four-stroke feel like a two-stroke on the entrance to turns.

(2) Hook up. As if that isn’t enough, the Hinson slipper clutch hooks up more positively under acceleration, which makes it better in roll-on situations. When you combine the ability to freewheel into a turn with less wheel hop and better hookup on acceleration, you get quicker corner speeds. The last benefit of a slipper clutch is that it works as an anti-stall device. Although a slipper clutch can’t guarantee that you won’t stall your bike in a tight corner, it does make it less likely to cough, because the BTL clutch automatically disengages under deceleration (giving you time to get to the lever).

(3) Choices. Hinson offers two versions of its BLT slipper clutch. First, is a complete slipper clutch with all the parts needed. Second is an inner hub/pressure plate kit that uses your stock clutch basket.

WHAT’S THE SQUAWK? We have three:

(1) It doesn’t feel like a normal clutch, and most MXA test riders didn’t like the fact that it couldn’t be slipped out of a corner like a conventional clutch. This was the most common complaint.

(2) Spring pressure on the BTL is provided by a Belleville washer. It isn’t as well understood as changing six coil springs.

(3) There is a learning curve to riding with a slipper clutch (it is hard to resist using the clutch as much as you used to) and the key to making the most of a slipper clutch is to let it do its own work without interfering with your itchy clutch hand.

Doesn't hinson just make baskets and hubs as well. Or is every Hinson a slipper clutch?
Yep...they offer baskets only, clutch set, cover...etc.

This is a full on expensive set up. I definitely noticed the difference. It was already on the bike. I liked it.

Everything old is new again... If you rode a 500 smoke and didn't start in 3rd you were last to the first turn or on your arse ten feet off the gate..
Only thing Short needs to work on is wearing matching boots... The one orange and one yellow was cute the first time. Since then it just looks like he is SERIOUSLY color blind. Well, that and maybe staying power since he fades like a pair of Tough Skins in a bucket of bleach.

Yupp in 2010 when I was racing Bill Hoovers '91 Cr500 I always started in second gear, then I was at DMC which has a pretty lengthy start, and I started in 3rd gear and got a huge holeshot and did every other time after that race. With the amount of bottom end these FI 450's have, you should be able to pull a 3rd gear start

WHAT’S IT DO? o_O

Did they mean "What does it do?" Hershey little help here.

I put the rekluse in my bike and only did hole shots in my shop. no ride report yet.

Back