Chillitown question

john lilly

PR Addict
Does anyone know if Chillitown ever does just practices? During the week or maybe a Saturday and Sunday, of practice only?

We tried open practices the first two years of operation. It did not work out for us financially.

I agree Georgie. Open practice should be a great way for tracks to build capital and lots of people love this place. Maybe your insurance or leasing fees are steeper than other places? I remember these though. I couldn't get enough track time in after work with all the sessions but the track was much smaller then. I bet you could get away with no sessions at all when it's slow and 3 20 minute sessions when it's busy (AB, C, Mini). Man with all those RV hookups I bet if you did a practice weekend you'd get people from all over to camp and make a weekend of it. Show a movie Sat night or build a camp fire. When I go to Baja, Motoland or RedBud (5 hr drive) to practice I pick a weekend when they're open both days to make the most of the travel. Something to chew on...

I agree Georgie. Open practice should be a great way for tracks to build capital and lots of people love this place. Maybe your insurance or leasing fees are steeper than other places? I remember these though. I couldn't get enough track time in after work with all the sessions but the track was much smaller then. I bet you could get away with no sessions at all when it's slow and 3 20 minute sessions when it's busy (AB, C, Mini). Man with all those RV hookups I bet if you did a practice weekend you'd get people from all over to camp and make a weekend of it. Show a movie Sat night or build a camp fire. When I go to Baja, Motoland or RedBud (5 hr drive) to practice I pick a weekend when they're open both days to make the most of the travel. Something to chew on...
I agree with what you said and my thoughts were that if there was a weekend practice then us northerners would just bring down our RV's and hook up to the water and electric and have a place to practice for both days and make it worth the 3.5 hour drive. Kind of a race weekend but with just practice instead.

With amenities and guaranteed seat time your argument to run practice is getting larger. But I mean oir had huge turnouts in 2000s and never ran practice.

I love going to chillitown on a race weekend, mainly hanging out on saturday night and racing sunday.

But I would be bored out of my mind spending two days of practice there. No disrespect meant, I love racing there, the track lends itself to good racing.

Chuck, remember we took the whole crew to moto land for a weekend of practice and festivities, corn hole tournament. That was the first Filet steak roast! Fuuuun time!

I know its not going to be popular but I don't want CTMX open for practice. Great facility and staff and I think one of the key factors to its success is the fact if you want to join in, you have to race. There are plenty of options for open practice at other locations. Why dilute the event experience? Loretta's does not have open practice.
If it were open, I would go, but I think it would take away from the anticipation of the scheduled race weekends.

I know its not going to be popular but I don't want CTMX open for practice. Great facility and staff and I think one of the key factors to its success is the fact if you want to join in, you have to race. There are plenty of options for open practice at other locations. Why dilute the event experience? Loretta's does not have open practice.
If it were open, I would go, but I think it would take away from the anticipation of the scheduled race weekends.
I here what your saying and that would be true if they had practice every weekend and abused it but I suspect they will only have practice a couple times and because of this, it shouldn't take anything away from the events success or race weekends. Now on another note, I would like to see a small swimming pond dug with a slide or a nice heated pool and hot tub and I think this would make it the greatest place on earth!!!!!

I also remember that those first year or two of open practices....it pretty much rained the day of each scheduled open practice or there was a big chance of it raining. I'm sure that hurt the turnouts quite a bit as well.

I here what your saying and that would be true if they had practice every weekend and abused it but I suspect they will only have practice a couple times and because of this, it shouldn't take anything away from the events success or race weekends. Now on another note, I would like to see a small swimming pond dug with a slide or a nice heated pool and hot tub and I think this would make it the greatest place on earth!!!!!

Its a county fairgrounds. One thing I can guarantee, is that is NOT going to happen.

Back