Is Pro Supercross worth it?

John250

PR Founding Father
Watching tonights race, you wonder if Pro Supercross is worth the injuries. It usually affects us as fans, because many of our favorite riders are on the sidelines or not 100% because of SX injuries.
This season already has hurt the following:
Canard
Weimer
Roczen
Peick
Barcia
Albertson
Wilson
Brayton

This is over a 1/3 of the riders that should be on the 450 gate for the main event. The season started so great, with awesome racing, and now there is not near as much excitement and racing all the way through the field.

So while the other thread talked about making motocross safer, is it time to also look at the SX tracks? The tracks leave NO room for error at all. Once again track design in the 80s was much slower, and the racing was still great. But I guess it is tough to get the casual viewer without the high flying triples.

Well it might be worth it is for roczen and canard with big money contracts
But Steve roman looked to of gotten busted up tonight. And as I sat around that stadium watching $15 supercross snow cones and 9 dollar beers being served it disgusted me how the series just kicks him in the ass on his way out of the building. Man The showmen get screwed worse than nurses in a hospital. Atleast I got insurance and 401k and security. For how difficult that track was and the talent it consumed roman should be making atleast what I make from Feld and sx. It ain't worth it.

Dude on tv it doesn't look bad. In the stands it looked treacherous. I can't imagine what it looked like behind the goggles!

Hell even the fans that were allowed to track walk were taking head over heel diggers.

That track was crazy !!!... i sat there last night night watching tons of guys going down trying to do the timing section...not worth it!!!!

The Canard and Weimer crash was scary. I thought for sure one had a broken back and thought Trey broke his leg again. Both sustained broken arms along with lot's of bruises. Trey looked so discouraged. I saw him like that years ago at Steel City when he broke his wrist. Heal up fast guys. Agreed, dangerous track.

Brace yourself john259....all could think of last night was if js7 was there he would have been doing some crazy rythem combos stepping it up. But I couldn't enjoy watching these guys struggle.

Sealy looked good. One of a few that looked smooth.

From a layman of the sport, and only has a son that rides it seems to me that that the Felds and the powers that be, need to take a hard look at making these tracks safer because they are truly to dangerous. To many crashes and injuries to all that set foot on the tracks. They could tame the tracks down and we would all still watch the racing and they could keep stuffing their pockets full of money, which is what they want, anyway. Also, any of these guys that make it to the main event, x-number of times, should be given some sort of medical insurance, a term life policy and a salary for one year. The Felds could afford that easily and give these riders something in return for putting the bodies and life on the line each time they throw their leg over the seat and it wouldn't change the Felds life style or wealth one bit.

Totally agree that these riders are just getting pimped out by Feld and the powers-that-be. Not that it's any consolation but I found out something pretty cool at the Detroit race yesterday - I had an opportunity to tour the Asterisk medical rig and meet Doc Bodnar. This rig is set up pretty close to a hospital emergency room - they can do stitches, X-rays, ultrasound, etc. This is offered to all riders, workers, announcers at no charge. There is no type of insurance involved. Just go to the rig and get fixed up. They've been doing this for 15 years now.

Yeah, it's not worth it to an old dried up local MXer, but to a young MXer with big dreams and than knows everything like we did back in the day and hasn't expereienced enough loss yet, it is. I agree that the rythem secitons in the motor city seemed pretty tough. A lot were having issues. The Wiemer/Canard crash was mostly due to Wiemer missing the rythem and Canard being right beind him at speed. Virtually nothing different than when he jumped into Reed except he didn't jump on Reed's back...luckily. That section wasn't tough was it?

Yeah, it's not worth it to an old dried up local MXer, but to a young MXer with big dreams and knows everything like we did back in the day and hasn't experienced enough loss yet, it is. I agree that the rhythm sections in the motor city seemed pretty tough. A lot were having issues. The Wiemer/Canard crash was mostly due to Wiemer missing the rhythm and Canard being right beind him at speed. Virtually nothing different than when he jumped into Reed except he didn't jump on Reed's back...luckily. That section wasn't tough was it?
There's a level of trust in that each rider has in the rider’s ability in front of them that just failed Saturday....again for Canard if you look at it that way. Way sucks for both of them, but sucks for all of us in the end. I mean Canard is a great rider. One of the fastest in the field, but how many times can you take a break and/or knockout blow and get back up. I feel we may lose him to retirement for good here soon...
Thing is John, high flying triples are about the safest thing out there. Gnarly rhythm sections, treacherous whoops, high speed straights/sweepers will take out more than a triple will. Heck, most of them riders can do those triples with their eyes closed. In the end, I'm not sure what to say in IF it is worth it. I've never been there nor know how they feel. That's for them to decide, not us, and from the looks of it, they seem to think it is. It's their life, let them life it I say. I do not like seeing them get hurt no more than next guy, but they continue to ride the track and twist the throttle. Until they do not, I feat little will change. I did hear they took a whoop out so the 250 riders to huck a triple or something in Detroit.
Heck, many will say what we do as amateurs isn't worth it. I mean I've broken more bones, had more concussions, bleeding, major pain (femur, sternum, shoulder), aches, etc. since the age of 27 than I did previous to that age including through the ball sports and other stupid stunts I pulled as I kid. All due to MX, yet I still climb aboard and take that chance. Why? Because I still think I can without injuring myself. If I was told that I would absolutely get hurt if I rode, I wouldn't do it nor would you. Even though we all know the high risk, more so for some than others I suppose, is there. It's what we do. More so, it's what they do I guess I am trying to say. Going with that, is any of it worth it? I could find you billions outside of MX that say NO!!!!, but what do they know?...

Totally agree that these riders are just getting pimped out by Feld and the powers-that-be. Not that it's any consolation but I found out something pretty cool at the Detroit race yesterday - I had an opportunity to tour the Asterisk medical rig and meet Doc Bodnar. This rig is set up pretty close to a hospital emergency room - they can do stitches, X-rays, ultrasound, etc. This is offered to all riders, workers, announcers at no charge. There is no type of insurance involved. Just go to the rig and get fixed up. They've been doing this for 15 years now.

Theyr'e giving BACK THE MOST TO THE RIDERS. And make ZERO in return.

Scoob...when will the parents of these pros step up to the plate and protect their kid from certain demise?

I dont even want to introduce a child of mine to the sport professionally. Please for the love of god let it only be something he/she likes to do as fun whether he/she wins or loses.

Back