CR500 AF

Ryan598

PR Member
I just started working on my cr500af. 1989 cr500 motor into a 2006 crf250r frame. Cutting the frame is scary haha any volunteers to be the first to jump it?

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 474
Reactions: DTS
Yes i just need the motor, electricals and carb other than that it is all for sale.

Hey let me know when you get ready to off any parts. I may need some things off it that will also work on my 1989 CR250 project I just got. Definitely the frame guards for starters.

Last edited:
Has anyone ever used the 1988 cr 500 motor? If I recall it was the most brutal year of the 500

88s were kittens compared to 85. 86, 87, 88 were pretty much the same, output and delivery-wise. 89s were pretty violent. 90+ is desireable, as Honda finally stepped away from magnesium water pumps and RH crankcase covers. 91 to 00 used the same cylinder / head / carb / ignition, so no effective changes; very mellow and easy to ride (for a 500).

I had a 85, 87 and 92.. the 92 was the best engine. my 85 was crazy.. I agree with everything baxterj787 said.

I'm VERY interested in 500s. post some more pics of your build if you can. Also, what kinda problems are you running into? How are you overcoming them? What Aluminum did you use for the extension of your frame? Did you weld it or some else?

'94 Open B
Cool! I was there before and again after '94. Some mostly jet ski racing years about then for me. I could post a McArthur open bike pic but the ATK 406 would be about 100 cc's short in this 500 thread. ;)

Last edited:
If that ATK guy was going fast and winning races, probably jeffro667. However if traveling at a more leisurely pace, perhaps me. :)

Last edited:
I bought the kit off of conversionparts500.com they have how to on just about any aluminum frame cr/crf from 98-2008. So far everything has gone smoothly I just followed their manual. I need new radiators because the ones on the 2006 crf roller I got are bent up pretty badly. After I get the radiators I should be ready to finish it up.

I am having houser racing here in marion weld the frame up for me and then they are sending it off to have it heat treated so it isn't weakened from the heat of being welded.

Back