Bogle swapped motors inbetween heat and Main

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
Bogle swapped motors inbetween the Heat and the Main event.

Now, in Nascar if you do anything like this you start last. I think he should of got last gate pick for a major change like that. That's not a bad rule to adopt in MX as a lot of these privateers can't swap a motor.

Thoughts?

sturd

PR Addict
I'd prefer full bling on the SX1 bikes. Titanium frames, electronic suspension, anything the engineers
can come up with. Maybe two rules, a sound limit and a weight minimum. Let the development
start again, like the 70s. Right now there's minimal differences between bikes because development
has reached a plateau.

Privateers can race SX2, they aren't going to make many mains SX1 anyway.

jrminiquad

PR Addict
I thought he said in the interview that they changed it out between practice and the first race. My son had a chance to talk with him before the race and told him to make sure he throws some "leg swag" over the finish, which if you watched it, he did. ;)

baxterj787

PR Addict
I thought at the Pro level the Frame is the only thing I believe you can not replace. But I like the rule that if you change a motor, you get last gate pick.

Frame, cases and swingarm have to be "production". Modifications can be made to them (gussets / brackets etc) but they have to maintian the original geometry / shape. For a long time the fuel tank had to be production too. That went away quietly around 06.

halffast

PR Elite
Personally , I'm glad that bike development has stalled a bit . The more the bikes advance the more radical the tracks become to challenge them ( the rider actually ) . Other threads are discussing the dangers of the sport and are blaming the bikes and the tracks ( among other things ) . Even the best professionals in the world seem to be near the limits of their capabilities ( How many are injured right now > ). How much lighter , more powerful , faster , longer travel do the machines need to be ? Factor the average weekend warrior into the equation of faster/more powerful bike , more radical track design , and human competitiveness ( This is RACING ) and the result is grim . Also , the more advanced the bikes become , the more they cost . If you had told us in the early 70's that a new bike would cost 9 grand and a rebuild around 2 grand we would have laughed so hard we might have spilled our beers .

Yes , I realize times are much different . We raced each other then , not the track ( or to survive it ) . You " run what you brung " on mostly natural terrain ( I still remember the first man-made jump and first double in my area ) with little to no track prep - the track was the same for everyone on it( Always has been , always will be ) . We competed , crashed each other out , trashed talked in the pits , etc. . Most of all we had a hell of a good time without mangling ourselves up too bad or breaking our piggy banks . I always thought the idea of racing was to be in front of the other guy when the checkers wave , not who was more " stylish " or hucked their bike the farthest over a jump without crippling or killing themselves .

I would be just as happy to see the pro's compete on stone stock bikes on milder tracks . My opinion .

sturd

PR Addict
There's a lot of money in MX, though privateers aren't in that loop. I understand the
thought that they should race stockers but top level, I think, is for innovation. Maybe even
stuff that will keep them from crashing so hard.

YMMV, objects in mirror are larger than they appear.

halffast

PR Elite
My thought on the pro's riding stockers was that the tracks would have to be tamed down .

For years I have half jokingly suggested that an IROC style MX/SX series be created where the riders race on identical ( as close as possible ) bikes and only be allowed to change ergonomics ( bars , seat , etc. ) and suspension clicker settings for personal fit . How much more even could the playing field be than that ? Bring things down to who has the most talent ( and luck ) not who has the trickest bike with the most unobtanium and $$$$$$ .