Pulp MX podcast from last night.

I loved Windham's point that at most races the 250 lap times are right there with the 450's. Also that the 250's now days are capable of handling any obstacle on a supercross track, which in my mind tells me that it can do anything us idiots need to do. Take a look at the horsepower of a 250f today verses a 250 two stroke of the early 2000s. That should seal the deal. Emig also had a great point that the gap between an 85 and a 250f is too large for those who do not use a 125 as a stepping stone. He said that as a PROFESSIONAL he rode a 125 uninterrupted for 6 years before he hopped on 250's. Can you imagine telling a kid now to ride a 125 for 6 years? They would flip out. They also be great riders. Technical riders. Not saying 450s don't have their place, but it's worth the discussion if those guys, who know way more than us, are saying it.

Brotocross made a real valid point about technique in his latest blog. For a guy who consistently is a smartass and rips into everyone and everything he also understand what's going on. Read it.

The sport today is filled with training facilities. We are teaching speed at the expense of technique when technique needs to be taught and the speed will come.

So naturally when your brutally fast and need the technique for that quick second swap chances are you're going to pile drive yourself into the ground.

I like Windhams comment about a tweet he got from a female rider. She said she rode her 250 to its full potential. He laughed about it, and said there were probably only a couple guys in the 250 class (used Bogle as an example), that MIGHT be able to ride a 250 to its full potential stock.

Interesting how they brought up that someone needs to step up and make rules against big bore machines. Do something about the large gap from 85 to 250F. The design of the tracks. Creating a database for all injury accidents so investigation can be conducted. The lack of evolution in the safety equipment.... Sounds like KW and Fro have been reading up on Pitracer...
Kevin is obviously stumping for a job in the industry.. If a big name is what it takes to get the changes started and implemented ASAP, then good.
As Fro and the guy from Cobra eluded to, the change must come from the consumer by saying they will not buy it or support it. I disagree. The consumers are sheep, if something bigger, better, faster is available, the people will buy it. Rules have to come first. If a guideline is established stating what is required and what is legal for competition the factory's will have no option to either change there products of leave the market. That goes for a businesses that supply machinery, equipment facilities and the rest...
The only organization that can make that happen is the AMA. They run amateur moto in this country, therefore they wear the big boy pants.
Interesting show. I stopped listening after 2:30 so I guess I have home work for tonight.

So the guy who loves 500cc 2 strokes says make rules about big bore machines? I'd love to have a 500af and will someday.. (ya, Iknow there's rules making a 500 harder to race, just sayin.. lol)

For the record, I duno if its this baby coming, but safety is eating at me more.(which neck brace, any neck brace at all, making myself not hit the bigger less safe jumps, yada yada).. Its making me want a KTM 150.. This is for fun ain't it? It would stop me from hitting big jumps (which I very much enjoy), and keep me going a little slower. I still wanna hit loraccos leap on a 500 2st tho..

Well I put in another hour and it was more of the same. Ryno talking about bikes tracks and rider education. Then I remembered why I am not a pulp fan. Just not interested in hearing only about Cali. Everyone agreed the first step has to be data collection. I assume the groups at the AMA that deal with insurance and moto should have this data at their fingertips.
5 deaths in less than 2 weeks? That is just repulsive

Riding both a 450 and a 125 regularly I can honestly say I have much more FUN riding the 125 but for racing MX there is now way Im picking the 125 to try and win on. There was a day when I did, even against 450's but Im getting too old!

I think a bike size reduction would be ugly at first but once the dust settled people would have more fun racing. At our level small bores are enough and way more fun, it becomes about technique and not raw speed.

I think there are to many 450 fans that want to buy them, I know I don't want anything smaller then a 450.

Big bores for 30+, no scrubs, I dont want no scrubs

No scrubs? Take it that you don't work in the medical profession.

The good old local Open B class. Before the modern 4 stroke the older guys just gravitated to it and it was fairly safe. The big 2 stroke gave so much feedback that it really forced the riders respect and attention. And of course the old 4 strokes were just plain tanks. The modern big 4 stroke can be ridden well by a few but for the majority of riders of all ages, getting in over one's head is just way too easy.

The consumers are sheep, if something bigger, better, faster is available, the people will buy it.

Absolutely correct. Sometimes we need saved from ourselves. I'm 5'10", 160 and I've been riding for probably 25 years in some way, shape, or form, but I have no business being on a 450. They are definitely easy to ride as long as everything is going smooth. I like riding them, but if I'm being honest with myself I have no business being on one because if something goes wrong, I don't have the strength and skill to react. A 250f is more than enough for a guy like me. However, I have the most fun riding when I have a 125.

I think a bike size reduction would be ugly at first but once the dust settled people would have more fun racing. At our level small bores are enough and way more fun, it becomes about technique and not raw speed.

It would be ugly, indeed. I'd love to see it though. For example, in 1995 the go to displacement was a 250cc two stroke. We all agree that 250 two strokes are less powerfull than 450s and probably just about even with a modern 250 four stroke. Did everyone have fun racing in 1995? Was anyone upset that there weren't 450s? With that being said, I think it would definitely be ugly at first, but I agree that once people got used to it everyone would be happy as hell.

Personally I believe not only would it be safer and more competitive if the AMA put a restriction on 450's, but I also think it could have an economic impact as well.

Plain and simple the smokers are cheaper to manufacture and maintain. If it brought the costs of bikes/maintenance down to where more people could afford to get back into racing, think of the benefits. More $$ for promoters from bigger turn outs = better equipment = track changes.

I don't get the 450 comments. I have rode and raced, 80s (yeah before 85s), 100s (remember when schoolboy was a 100), 125s, went to 250s in 1988, and went to 450s in 2007. I personally as a Vet rider think 450s are fine. I cant think of a time, when I felt like I was scared on my 450. The 450 gave me the ability to jump some stuff I might have struggled with on the 250, and I think did not tire me out like the 250 2 stroke.

I think it is more track design that needs to be changed than elimination of the 450s.

Personally I believe not only would it be safer and more competitive if the AMA put a restriction on 450's, but I also think it could have an economic impact as well.

Plain and simple the smokers are cheaper to manufacture and maintain. If it brought the costs of bikes/maintenance down to where more people could afford to get back into racing, think of the benefits. More $$ for promoters from bigger turn outs = better equipment = track changes.

I agree with KTMkarl794 100%!!!! To buy a new bike anymore is crazy! Over $8000 now. I hate the fact that I am still riding my 2009, but I can't afford anything newer. Now, 2 strokes again, people would be able to afford, and more people would get back into the sport. And like he said, promotors would benefit because more people would be able to come, factories would benefit because more bikes are sold, heck more contingency programs may come more available. Very good point KTMkarl794, very good point...

Back