A class points (Oma)

DelBalso28

PR Addict
Curious as to why the A classes aren't involved in year end points? I know they're tallied up all year on the site just like the other classes. What does it come down to exactly? I'd assume its because of the negative expense after payback per race? (I probably just answered the question).

It just seemed weird to me being at the banquet without some of our fastest racers in the OMA present because there was just nothing there for them, unless they raced a vet class.

IMO if it's budgeting-less door prizes and awards to A class riders would make everyone more involved and possibily improve A class turnouts throughout the year. Maybe it's not that easy idk. Is it the same deal for the battle series?

*only going by OMA experience as I wasn't involved in anything else this past year, not sure what other sanctions are doing. No dings at OMA either

Last edited:
Myself and some A riders were talking about this the other day. They are itching to run a series.... but there's no reason to since OMA isn't awarding that class.

If 10 show up. Add them to the series. If they don't. It's an exhibition day race.
No he means no year end points, we dont pay year end points or get awards for the A classes, because quite honestly the large majority are too busy or dont care. I can remember maybe 2 guys asking about the banquet for A classes from this past season, rest were out of sight out of mind.

I would race A for the series if it were in the year end banquet. I remember the old buckeye series paid like $400 for first place.

No he means no year end points, we dont pay year end points or get awards for the A classes, because quite honestly the large majority are too busy or dont care. I can remember maybe 2 guys asking about the banquet for A classes from this past season, rest were out of sight out of mind.

Well here, Im speaking up now. Maybe some don't care and are too busy, but maybe others like myself would like that extra class to run in the series instead of just our age class. I'm sure some just haven't mentioned it cause they accepted it as it is what it is.
I've raced myself in A class this past year. I'm sure that has happened a lot, or just no one signs up. I think this would help eliminate those situations.
Half the time I don't bother signing up for A cause it's just expensive track time to me. I'm midpack at best out there. More initiative would be there to follow through with a series and maybe see some recurring battles form.
I'd assume anyone that meets the minimum race requirement(meaning they are most likely racing for the series points) and are eligible for an award would attend the banquet. Idk wishful thinking maybe

I think there needs to be a "bonus" plan for professionals to increase participation. Guys that are trying to live the dream of racing for a living are 100% dependent on making money. (duh) It does not make financial sense to skip a high purse race 300 miles away for the chance to win a gift certificate to the Sizzler at the end of the year banquet. If a bonus is created based on participation at each event ($2 per entry, per event or whatever the amount) then the potential for a substantial end of the year check makes it a more attractive option. Extra $ thrown in by class sponsorship would add to the surprise of how much is actually in the bonus program.
Would be really cool for a presenter to get up at the banquet and announce the top 3,5 or 10 and then present each with a check of an unknown amount (worth your time to attend).
I would think a new sliding point scale would also need to be created. Winning a race with 3 guys clearly should not be worth the same points as 10 20 or 50 riders. Yes, I know this "kinda" already exists but as in a lot of other classes, some guy who ran 3/4 back of the pack all year wins the points because he went to every race. On the other hand, I guy that shows up and wins 3 of the 20 races should also not be the champion because he won the races with full gates.
There is a happy medium in there somewhere and should be fairly easy to being to the surface.
Just an idea

Money's cool. I'm sure that'd draw some attention.
I'm more or less thinking of ways to boost participation of some of the A guys that see no point in racing a more expensive class with 1 or 2 other riders.
At this point I wish I never bumped myself up. Maybe something like this would help fill the gate and bridge the skill gap between some of us.

I agree john, im a midpack A rider at best, granted I get a good start. The skill gap in A class is rediculous. You got super fast pros to just a local guy who's fast enough to beat Majority of the B riders. Im with DeBalso though, sometimes I wish I would've stayed in B class and never bumped myself up to A

Money's cool. I'm sure that'd draw some attention.
I'm more or less thinking of ways to boost participation of some of the A guys that see no point in racing a more expensive class with 1 or 2 other riders.
At this point I wish I never bumped myself up. Maybe something like this would help fill the gate and bridge the skill gap between some of us.
This is why I won't sign up for A.

I would run A If there was incentive. But B has more sign ups.

Last few times I've raced I ask Peggy or OMA girls what class has the most riders. I don't want to race 3 people. That's ridiculous. It's really only why I try to hit qualifiers every year because I know there's gonna be somewhat of a full gate.

Back