AMA Vintage Race at ACTION sports cancelled.

I'm concerned about all your concerns as well. I welcome anyone that can come up with a better event date, I'll certainly look at any date. I don't want to conflict with another vintage event.

I need 200 pre entries for the entire weekend to make this event happen. That includes all vintage, post vintage and support motocross classes and all vintage, post vintage, and support hare scrambles classes. That should not be that hard. I talked with XTRM.com yesterday. They are an online pre-entry company, the same one the AMA used last year. If I don't have 200 pre-entries 3 weeks prior to the event I will cancel the event. If I have to cancel I will contact each pre-entered rider by email through XTRM and inform them that the event is cancelled and they should go to XTRM for a refund to be applied to their credit card. The rider will be charged $5 for the refund. If the event is rained out I will do the same thing. I will not have the entry money sent to me until Monday after the event if there is any doubt that the event will happen due to weather or other circumstances. As long as the riders trust me enough to pre enter they are only taking a $5 risk when pre-entering.

As far as the promotion goes, I am going to mail a flier to every rider that had ridden one of my AHRMA and AMA vintage events over the past 4 years. Then I'm going to contact every vintage website I can find and try to get it on there as well. I doubt any AMA or AHRMA event will give me permission to pass out my fliers at any of their events, but I'll try. I won't sneak around and do it. I'm sure I'm the "bad guy" with the AMA and probably will be with AHRMA if I promote this event, but at this point it doesn't matter. I have tried to make it work with both AHRMA and the AMA. I'm not out anything but my time if it doesn't come together but it's worth it for me and my son's to make this event happen if it can.

The October date is before the time change so there will be time Saturday night for at least a cookout and maybe a band or something. I'd like to tell you that I can offer more but until I know if the event is going to happen or not I just can't schedule anything. I will tell you that I'm going to try my best and if it happens I'll make it better and bigger every year.

If anyone is willing to help, can let me know of vintage websites and social media contacts, is willing to forward my flier to their social media contacts or is willing to pass out fliers please let me know. We are dedicated to the future of this event.

Thank you,
Drew Wolfe

200 sounds very reasonable. Why not email the flier to every address from every series you that you have run? Could get some more entrants that way and no membership requirements may be a plus. You have contacts with many heavily involved in vintage racing (KB for example). Get all the input you can. They can introduce you to the websites.

That's my plan along with a flier mailed to every vintage rider from my past 4 years. A few have brought up that I need an AHRMA sanction to make the event successful. Others ask if anyone will come to my race if it's not part of the AHRMA National series, will they come for no reason, just the fact that its a good event on a good track? I hope so but I'm not sure. What do you think, do I need AHRMA? One positive thing that AHRMA did since my last race was to offer a 1 day membership for those that are only racing 1 event.

I'm a relative newbie to AHRMA (4 years now, I think) and can't say that I'm a big fan of the organization.

AHRMA's reasons for dropping your Flashback event in the first place, didn't seem very professional or mature.
I really didn't like the treatment that Smith Road got, and we exchanged a lot of arguments about that on Marks Vntage site.
And then to see the fiasco of a track they set up last year at Clear Fork done nothing to make me believe I had much of a future racing AHRMA.

I did renew this year (hesitantly) because I believe it is still necessary for the survival of our sport and I want to race up at Delta, and would love to hit the Unidilla event at some point.
==========================================
Can you grow this event without AHRMA ? ? ? ...... In my opinion. "YES" !

Being VERY ACTIVE on Pitracer and other sites as a track owner and promoter is a good starting point. The gang that pulled together the OMA organization can, and I'm sure are willing, to help guide Action Sports and any other tracks in the ways of reaching out to those in our sport, and even those that aren't, but could be.

An example of where my thinking an area of untapped potential is in the Non-Current class. There are a kazillion Bomber class bikes out there. And Action Sports has one of the absolute best "Old School" style tracks that is perfect for Bomber class racing.
Getting people to realize vintage racing doesn't have to all be about Pre-74's and Evo-era machines. I can see guys coming to the event with nothing but bomber class NC bikes in his truck/trailer.

Word of mouth and enthusiasm can do wonders when there is a good plan.

Non-AMA, and Non-AHRMA can work with the right people leading the effort.

I let my AHRMA expire after I apparently got bumped up expert class during the last AHRMA PV CC race at Action Sports. That was a weird day. I don't need it to go and requiring membership would probably keep a couple guys that I know away.

Would you need two one day memberships for the weekend? Would support class racers need to buy a membership? How would adding a late race to an existing series work out? Is AHRMA getting great numbers?

I'd make the event out to be a couple of old bike fun days in the Fall (in the World Team HS tradition). Come up with a new, unique, catchy event title with everyone invited and no membership required.

Thanks for your feedback. I agree with a lot of your opinions. I don't think anyone is getting huge numbers except for Unadilla, I get that, and Diamond Don's and maybe a few others. For the most part no one is getting a large turnout. I had 348 with mx and hs my second year with AHRMA but I think the AMA series took many of those riders from AHRMA and messed it up for everyone.

I heard yesterday that the Arizona AMA vintage race had 46 entries, and they had over 300 last year with AHRMA. If that is factual, that says a lot.

I'm not sure the OMA would help. I've tried the past 2 years to get in their series but was denied.

If the riders want this event to be big and grow I'll make it happen. I'm sure it will take a few years but it can grow every year, but they are going to have to want it too.

What does each series offer? I do not think that you need them. I do not get it, what are AHRMA and AMA doing for the tracks? I am an AMA life member and believe that everyone that owns a motorcycle should be a member but it is up to the promoter to put on a quality event. I know that you will put on a national caliber event and I will be there. Just to be AHRMA or AMA sanctioned does not mean that it will be good, but if Action sports puts it on you know that you will have a quality event.

It's not my thoughts that Action Sports should belong to the OMA, just to figure out how the OMA did what they did, to come into existance and have a barnbuster first season. It was sort of a group effort.

I think you're already on the right track with these open public Pitracer discussions about your event. The OMA guys were able to zero in on the ideas, wish's, and problems of the rider/racing community as well as the needs of the track owners.

Racers always like to have a seat at the bargaining table in this sport. And it's all about making it a Win-Win for everybody. If there are things about Action Sports that the community doesn't like, then we want to know about these things and have a discussion on it. This Works!

One thought that Nancy and I have always held is that one of Action Sports downfalls is the location. But if people come and have a great time, they won't think twice in making the trip the next year, and bringing someone with them. A good word travels far.

Drew, Kyle, Ryan and your other crew members do a really good job, and most of all you make everybody feel as though we are part of the Action Sports family. You have a good thing going, you just need more public backing.

Is any info available for Chillicothe's Camp Cattail Vintage race? I heard rumors of having both HS and MX this year. Mid June will be here soon

The OMA had interest in Action Sports, however action sports only had interest in running a Battle race. Him and every other promoter in Ohio. The OMA could have all the tracks if the Battle series was 12-20 races or so. To be honest we tried contacting Norm too, no response from him.

What's wrong with having 20 battle races? One at every track would be a great way to I'd the best riders in the state. I know it's your idea and your baby but babies grow and move on. It may turn out to be a great opportunity to build OMA and our sport. If it does not work then you can pull it back to a 3 race series. I will just keep it short...

Drew just confirmed that the Vintage Weekend scheduled for Oct 3 -4 is Cancelled.

Looks like the end of Vintage racing at Action, too bad it is one of if not the best vintage track in Ohio.

Drew just confirmed that the Vintage Weekend scheduled for Oct 3 -4 is Cancelled.

Looks like the end of Vintage racing at Action, too bad it is one of if not the best vintage track in Ohio.

Well, at least it's good to have confirmation of what has been suspected.

Back