Spring Turkey Season 2015

halffast

PR Elite
Started today and .....Yahtzeee! I busted my heaviest gobbler ever . Tipped my scales ( used for shipping weights for ebay ) at 23.52 pounds . A half pound heavier than my previous fat boy . Wouldn't fit completely into the 5 gallon bucket I use to scald birds for plucking . 10 inch beard . One spur was an inch and the other was a rounded off 1/2 inch nubbin . With yesterdays windy/rainy weather I figured the birds would be roosted in a patch of pines I know of . Snuck in about 5:30 and set up on a tractor path that touches one end of the pines . Never heard a gobble but right at legal shooting time 3 hens tree yelped , flew right down on the path and started feeding my way . About 10 minutes later a bird pitched out of its roost and landed just out of sight , still no gobble . Next thing I see is my Tom's white noggin coming toward the hens and me . He put on a show but never did gobble . Let him get to about 30 yards and launched a load of #4 shot out of my Mossberg 835 , 3 1/2 inch . Quick end for a beautiful strutter . Walked up to him and couldn't believe how big he was . I didn't even have to make a call , just let the live hens do the work for me .
IMG_0031.JPG

Last edited:
Back