Does every Promoter / Event deserve 512 entries?

ck1racerx

PR Addict
In an effort to harness the momentum established by Chillitown, what can other Promoters and track owners do to reach that 500 entry benchmark? If one track can do it, that means the riders are there, why do they not show every week?
A lot of times an event continues to get bigger, because it is getting bigger... Just kinda feeds itself. But why did you go, and is it possible for other tracks to do that?
Yes, Chilli has perfect pits, an ever improving track. Great promotions and a dedicated staff that does not and will not settle for good enough, but if Dirt Country or OIR or Glass City or you name it, did the same, would you and 511 of your closest friends go?
I don't think it is a schedule thing since many of us (myself included) drove past a race to go to Chili. So what is it?

My personal answer: First impressions mean a TON to me. My first trip to Chili I noticed the small things that had been done to just make it feel special. Fresh coat of paint on the gate. Grass mowed nice and clean. Potted plants all over. Running the Bobcat with the tiller thing backwards down the track as to not leave tracks. This small stuff told me that if they are taking the time to do this, then the big stuff has already been taken care of. And I was right. That race two years ago went like clockwork and that got me hooked right there.
I am not saying if Haspin Acres did a little landscaping that I would show up. No, it has to be the whole package. But I do believe if other tracks showed a higher level of dedication and make you feel like it not just about the money in your wallet, more tracks can get to 500.

I have never been to Briarcliff, but I can tell you that I will be there in two weeks because if the dude takes the time to fix this whooped out drive way that I have heard so much about, then the track has to be worth the drive.

Treaty City is my pick to make the change. It is close to my home, I have been racing there since 1980 and they are an old club that does good things in the community. BUT, I am not going back until things change. Give me a reason to come back. Change the track (for the better and not just for a change). Have a porta john that does not look like it has been there since 1980. Promote the track outside of the 20 club members. Hire a staff that has some experience running a race. Please, do something. I want to come back.

Now, before anyone posts to this. IT IN INTENDED TO BE POSITIVE. I am trying to help our sport.

I only have so many weekends in a year. I go where the best event is that weekend. I don't think everyone races every weekend.

Chillytown makes it fun for not just the racer, but everyone in the family. ( hook ups, bands, hay rides)
So having family stuff AND racing, and a nice facility, puts them in a must attend category. ( That being said I was at Lincoln trail getting qualified for Millville)

BUT, we were talking about CTMX and wishing we were there too.) Lincoln trail is on top of my list as well for favorite track.....love it even in the mudd.

Where were you 10 or so years ago when Briarcliff and OMA started up? District 11.5 lol. When the guys were asking what it would take to get 500+ riders to a race ?? They asked, we answered and they delivered.

Its all about progression. I was at the very first races (and mostly all since) at both Briarcliff and Chillitown, neither started with 500 riders on day 1. Focusing on Chillitown, that track was a mess, goofy jumps, rocks everywhere, rather bland experience. But there was potential. The next event was ran a little better and track began to take shape. From then on each event has seemed to be a little better than the previous.

The first race I went to I convinced 1 buddy to ride along, last week there were 8 of us there. It's that effort to keep moving forward and constantly improve that gets people to keep coming back and people tend to follow.

Conversely, look at a place like COCR for example, I began racing there about 8 years ago. First time there i thought what potential, decent location, good elevation and dirt, and decent prep. But every time since it was a little worse from horrible prep to rude workers to a tractor breaking down on the track. Needless to say we haven't been back in 3-4 years.

I agree with first impression things too.. and the litttle stuff. I won't name this track because I dont want to bash anyone.. but I showed up to a race 2 seasons ago and the place looked like it had been closed down for years. The grass was like almost knee high... everything just looked ran down and like crap. I was instantly not excited to be there when I pulled in, and haven't been back since.

I agree with first impression things too.. and the litttle stuff. I won't name this track because I dont want to bash anyone.. but I showed up to a race 2 seasons ago and the place looked like it had been closed down for years. The grass was like almost knee high... everything just looked ran down and like crap. I was instantly not excited to be there when I pulled in, and haven't been back since.

You race????

Back