Smith Road's Annual Memorial Day Race 5-25-15

mastiffmom

PR Addict
  1. Our Memorial Day Race is fast approaching (5-25-15, this is a monday) Here are the details, feel free to ask questions!
    * Memorial Day (Monday May 25th) gates open at 6:00 am.
    * Gate fee is $10 for everyone racing and all spectators 10 and over.
    * Everyone must sign in to enter the track.
    * If someone needs to drop something off for you, you need to be waiting for them at the gate, or they can leave it for you with one of the staff members at the gate the alternative is that they will have to pay to enter.
    * We will be running CRA classes plus a few extra like pitbike, 125cc & "run what your brung" , there may be a vintage as well, other classes can be added if there is enough interest. (We are not a CRA track we use their classes because most people are familiar with them, you can find race class info at www.racecra.org)
    * There is a 10 person minimum for the "run what you brung class" 125cc and up bikes only for this class. The winner will recieve a 6 foot trophy.
    * Sign-ups for racing will be in the building accross from the concession stand. Its $25 for the first class and $20 for each additional class
    * First place winners can chose a T-shirt, Trophy or Smith Road Bucks, 2nd-3rd place winners can chose a T-shirt or Trophy. The trophies this year are different sizes according to place and very nice.
    * Practice starts at 8:00 am
    * Races start at 10:00am. We are planning to run 3-4 laps each moto.
    * Kids will be on the peewee track from beginner 65 on down.
    * Concession stand will be open for the entire race with cold treats and yummy food!
    * You can come in Sunday to park your vehicle or drop your trailer but there is NO CAMPING for this event.
    * There is NO pit-riding or bicycles allowed on race day, period! This will be enforced!
    * We will also have a lot more ice-cream and popsicles at the concession for this race ; ).
    * If you are interested in flagging or scoring pm us with your information. Flaggers need to be 16 or older

Cristy Plas
    Smith Road Raceway
    6868 Smith Road
    Medina, Ohio 44256

* Anyone under who will be racing 18 will receive an armband at the gate, they need to be wearing the armband when they come to sign up and they must be accompanied by their legal guardian, both the child and adult need to be at the sign up table together.

Motosports MD will be there with our Trackside Support Trailer stocked full of tires, tubes, gloves, goggles, tear offs, helmets, Leatt Neck Braces, toys etc... We look forward to seeing you all there. Come by the trailer and check out whats on sale for the holiday.

I always enjoy the laid back, race for fun atmosphere at Smith Rd. and look forward to this one like any other. Can't believe its my 17th season racing there without a miss. Bring on the 3 wheelers! We have big gate to fill. They also have one of the best setups for the really little guy and girls who are afraid of getting run over on bigger tracks. Our 3 wheeler kids race on the peewee track also, and need some more kids to race with!

What was the reasoning behind pitbikes only running 2 laps? We pay the same amount of money as everyone else along with sitting there all day like everyone else? Wish this was posted ahead of time so I wouldn't of wasted an hour drive for 4 laps.

yea i was pretty dissapointed with the 2 lap pit bike moto as well. i didnt even stay for the 2nd moto so i definitely feel like i wasted my time and money. although the track was perfect and prepped very well.

I think they had some glitches in the new computer system. The track prep was great. I met #43 on the Kawi, Blake Turner, sounds like a country singer. Nice kid that can fly. He smoked the +25 and run what you brung. First moto Repose landed on him off the big uphill after the start. Just a scratch in his fender but was close. Good racing all day.

Track was pretty fun. Good job on the prep. Was expecting practice to be muddy but turned out to be perfect (at least for the second group of big bikes). Congrats to Smith Rd. for what looked to be a pretty good turnout and a pretty fun day. Only complaints, if I may, would be the delay after practice (which put everything behind schedule from the start) and the number of motos (27-ish?)...made for a long day for some (including yourselves).

We do apologize for the delays, we recently purchased track side computer software and this was our first race using it, the purchase was made so that things would go smoother and we hope that will be the case going forward, the ladies worked hard to get everything up and going as quickly as possible. I will inquire about the pitbike class, forgive me but I was working the concession so not up to date on everything happening on the track, the full size bikes got 3 laps then?

Are the results going to be posted anywhere since you are using the software?

Everyone got 4 laps - except us we got 2 - and when I asked Larry what the deal was, he has a long list of absolute BS excuses, leaving me with the option of "I'll give you have your money back if you promise never to come back", I said Larry you clearly need the money far more then I do enjoy it, you will never see me here again.

Real class act that Larry guy is......

Last edited:
We had a great time as always. We ran 4 laps first moto, 3 laps 2nd moto. 3 kids on mini trikes, first time racer on mini quad, and two first time racers on big trikes. Weather looked like rain, which never came, leaving things drier than usual. I do miss when they used to water the parking areas.

See you July 4!

Back