Good News for Vintage Racing in Ohio from AHRMA

Mike

PR Addict
As a keenly interested follower of all things vintage in Ohio I was pleased to see that Fred Guidi, AHRMA’s National off-road director has appointed Dave Woolever as the regional coordinator for the Midwest region. The region coves KY, IN, MI & OH, very much our backyard. Dave lives south of Columbus in the Circleville area.

One of the issues for us has been the lack of a strong local organization developing and promoting regional events. I know Dave is looking for input and ideas so get in touch with him. He must be a good guy he rides a Suzuki RM125.

Dave’s contact information is:

Phone: 740.571.6215
email: davewoolever2@yahoo.com

And he has set up a new Facebook page “AHRMA Great Lakes”

That's great news!! It's nice to see Fred stepping in and more so Dave willing to take the challenge of putting up with all us, it has to feel like herding cats at times. Fred has been a great asset down south when I raced down that way, it nice he recognized the need for a local series up this way. Thanks Fred! And thank you Dave!!

That's good....but....

Not to be the negative nelly here....but there used to be a bunch of AHRMA Great Lakes Regional events in Ohio. I know Western Reserve MC had several. But again, hardly anyone showed up!

There would be like 35 guys show up so the events just faded away. I hate to say it but how/why would it be different now 5 years later?

That's good....but....

Not to be the negative nelly here....but there used to be a bunch of AHRMA Great Lakes Regional events in Ohio. I know Western Reserve MC had several. But again, hardly anyone showed up!

There would be like 35 guys show up so the events just faded away. I hate to say it but how/why would it be different now 5 years later?

So 5 years is a long time, the AMA /AHRMA split has had time to sort itself out. We are all getting older and want to keep riding. I am among the least knowledgeable here, I have only been an "MX Racer" since the Action Sports event last June. But I do believe there is potential. And in part, its up to us to support, promote, and assist anybody who will provide opportunities to ride together. Most of us have more than one vintage bike, we should all invite a modern MX, or trail rider out for a race on a spare bike. Its a safe, low cost, and fun way to race/ride.

After my last weekends experience at Log Road, and lot of thought I realize that we need as a minimum is. Consistent bike classes, safe vintage tracks, not to be racing against 450F's, a session long series of competitive events that result in potential year end awards. And the knowledge that each year the program won't go in a completely different direction.

What we lost with the AMA no longer promoting events, or a running a series I believe can be recreated regionally with AHRMA.

That's good....but....

Good to know I'm hardly anybody. That was back when they had to split the too big for one gate 50+ intermediate class at VMD. We had three at the Western Reserve regional. If my buddy and I hadn't gone, there would have been only one. I could have stayed home and invited a bigger 50+ class to race in my backyard.

Regionals will never make it but having input from a local regional director should be a good thing.

Old guys are always going to make vintage racing happen. But now it's difficult to just get the old guys out, let alone families.

It just doesn't help the situation when good tracks/Promotors (Action Sports, Smith Road) want to support vintage racing, but get the big "Screw You" from AHRMA .
Why would a track owner be interested when that happens?

It just doesn't help the situation when good tracks/Promotors (Action Sports, Smith Road) want to support vintage racing, but get the big "Screw You" from AHRMA .
Why would a track owner be interested when that happens?
Not sure what the "big screw you" is. I think you will see a new effort and a new approach locally. I think both of those tracks would make good venues for a vintage race. I see this as a new effort and am willing to support Dave. (or anybody else who want to grow and support my chosen activity)

Do you have a better alternative that you would propose?

Lose 3/4 of the current classes, add a youth class and promote vintage racing at big modern bike events like Chilitown or Baja by asking them to add a "exhibition" race at intermission of one class. The people that are already into racing will see how cool the bikes are and want to get involved.
My two

Not sure what the "big screw you" is. I think you will see a new effort and a new approach locally. I think both of those tracks would make good venues for a vintage race. I see this as a new effort and am willing to support Dave. (or anybody else who want to grow and support my chosen activity)

Both of these tracks hosted AHRMA races within the last 4 years. AHRMA took issue with both of them and refused to return.

Do you have a better alternative that you would propose?

All that I have to offer is my attendance to any event that I can get to.

Last edited:
I saw this and wanted to give my 2 cents. The AMA was on the right track with introducing the NC class and now the classic NC class. I had 4 buddies that got in last year on the series because of the NC class. They really have no desire to ride V or PV at all but they like the fact that at 40-55 years old they can race and not have to jump 100 feet. They had a great time and there we more I know wanting to do it this year but they are all concerned with where it is going. Those classes are what any organization wanting to do vintage/whatever needs to keep the cause alive. Go to the AHRMA sign up for Unadilla and compare the 50+ class to the 40+ or 30+ - there is no new interest at all. I think most of us associate this hobby with the bike we either rode or slobbered over when we where in our teens. I ride the most modern Honda you can in any AHRMA event. I graduated HS in 83, I will be 50 in October, add one to 50+, subtract one from 40+ - who is taking my spot because you know I just took someone's spot that quit or god forbid took the dirt nap? If promoted right the 84/85 - 98 years are what is needed to keep new blood coming ....period.

Also - not seeing much on it besides the original post on it but if you have a MX or HS bike from 1960 to 1998 get your butt to the Chillicothe Enduro Riders on June 13 and support another promoter trying to help us. Tell your friends!

If promoted right the 84/85 - 98 years are what is needed to keep new blood coming ....period.

Not sure what about your post made me think of this but....

How about a combined age class? Your age plus the bike's age.
Probably +70 would have to be about the lowest number.
A 70 year old on a new bike would race a 50 year old on a 20 year
old bike.

Yea, stupid idea. My specialty.

On the big screw you the deal with that was that Action Sports had an AHRMA event in 2012 with close to 400 riders. That same year they allowed the AMA to use their gate, actually brought it, set it up, and took it down - in 2013 AHRMA wouldn't give them an event because of it. They gave it a run in 13 and 14 with AMA but the gates were just too small.

On the big screw you the deal with that was that Action Sports had an AHRMA event in 2012 with close to 400 riders. That same year they allowed the AMA to use their gate, actually brought it, set it up, and took it down - in 2013 AHRMA wouldn't give them an event because of it. They gave it a run in 13 and 14 with AMA but the gates were just too small.

So that's proof that it can work, if Drew can draw 400 riders that's fantastic, it will take a few years to build it up again. Many of us don't know anything about the AHRMA/AMA split and frankly don't give a s**t.

I can say from my perspective the cancellation of Drew's AMA event this year was the catalyst that resulted in a lot of discussions between a number of riders, and both AHRMA & AMA officials. On Behalf of the AMA Alex's response was and still is " We are not a promoter, we are a sanctioning body". I guess that was my mistake, because I assumed, incorrectly, that they were going to continue building on the 13/14 Vintage series.

AHRMA officials were very receptive to conversations, and were already looking at the mid-west as an underperforming region. The fact that they have appointed a regional manager is proof. Further proof is in my copy of Vintage View received today, Fred Guidi says he is working with Actions Sports on the October event and other future events.

I still think that this is good news for Vintage Racing in Ohio and region.

Bill, I will be at the CHILLICOTHE event, and I believe our new AHRMA rep, Dave Woolever will be there also, so we can get a chance to meet him and share some thoughts.

I am with the others that are making the recommendation to ignore the past politics, wrongs, and baggage and instead put effort into sustaining our region's Vintage/Post Vintage MX with improvements to continue to keep it viable so we have racing options.

I think Bill, Mike, Knox and others that are looking at this from a marketing or customer segmentation perspective are on the right path.
  • Racers that raced bikes 1974 and earlier when they were 18-25 year olds are now 59-66. Is the number of new racers or returning racers really going to increase enough to make a difference?
  • Racers that raced bikes 1984 and earlier when they were 18-25 year olds are now 49-56. Is it realistic to think hundreds of new or returning racers will decide to join the sport even with great promotion?
  • Racers that raced bikes 1989 and earlier when they were 18-25 year olds are now 44-51. Now were are getting into an interesting market segment and from what I understand was a boom period in Ohio Motocross.
  • Racers that raced bikes 1998 and earlier when they were 18-25 year olds are now 35-42. Start marketing to them with attractive bike classes and this segment will grow - keeping the gate big enough for the track owner and have Vintage/Post Vintage classes.
The idea of competition, racing that is safe enough so you can go to work on Monday morning, friends, and the nostalgia factor of racing bikes you had or wanted when you were young is the primary draw, I believe.

Sure, there are always going to be exceptions where a few want to race bikes they have no youth connection with, but I don't think that is the sweet spot or the target market. There will not be enough of that kind of racer to make a difference.

Looking at the registrations, there could probably be a reduction in the number of true Vintage classes. Post Vintage will draw numbers for a few more years. The big new numbers are in attracting NC Classic and NC entries.

Last edited:
I saw this and wanted to give my 2 cents. The AMA was on the right track with introducing the NC class and now the classic NC class. I had 4 buddies that got in last year on the series because of the NC class. They really have no desire to ride V or PV at all but they like the fact that at 40-55 years old they can race and not have to jump 100 feet. They had a great time and there we more I know wanting to do it this year but they are all concerned with where it is going. Those classes are what any organization wanting to do vintage/whatever needs to keep the cause alive. Go to the AHRMA sign up for Unadilla and compare the 50+ class to the 40+ or 30+ - there is no new interest at all. I think most of us associate this hobby with the bike we either rode or slobbered over when we where in our teens. I ride the most modern Honda you can in any AHRMA event. I graduated HS in 83, I will be 50 in October, add one to 50+, subtract one from 40+ - who is taking my spot because you know I just took someone's spot that quit or god forbid took the dirt nap? If promoted right the 84/85 - 98 years are what is needed to keep new blood coming ....period.

Also - not seeing much on it besides the original post on it but if you have a MX or HS bike from 1960 to 1998 get your butt to the Chillicothe Enduro Riders on June 13 and support another promoter trying to help us. Tell your friends!
Im with Bill, 50+ next year and one less 40 + rider....we need more non current and a few youth classes...the races are over by 1-2 anyway. What's 2 more motos"

new guy here been lurking for for a couple years. I would like to see vintage grow. I have 3 grandsons that race modern bikes makes it hard for grandpa to get seat time I really wish my grandsons could race with grandpa at a vintage race I have a 81 cr80 and 83 cr 60 for them it would be nice to have 1 youth class for 7 to 11 to run to make a family weekend

In this months AHRMA magazine "vintage views" Fred Guidi is looking for ideas to present for the next 5 years racing outlook to the AHRMA board .
He is seeking input. Some of these ideas may be on his plate already as I interpret the article. If he doesn't see them or hear about them they may never make it past this post!
Someone with the technology and know how please step up to let it be known .... There are great ideas here!!!
"So let it be written...so let it be done"

Back