Payouts and contract $

hershey

PR Elite
So always thinking, how do pro ball teams afford to pay players these massive contracts compared to what Pro MX and SX riders get?

Im unfamiliar with those sports and sponsors, what are they like in comparison?
What is the attendance in comparison?

Knox is a numbers guy , what are the stats??

All I know is a distant cousin pitched for the indians a couple years ago and got something like 8k per strike out just from his glove sponsor. A full year of bench warming alone gets you 450k..

TV Contracts pay the bills! And of course every major league city provides a stadium and parking at tax payer expense, and the owner of the teams still keep the profits.

Network TV, major sponsors, 75K plus game tickets sold, seat licenses, local taxpayer largesse, merchandise sales, etc, etc.

With motocross its hard to find what channel half the event might be on. This sport has a 2 - 3 % interest to public at best.

We might love it but nobody else knows it exists.

Network TV, major sponsors, 75K plus game tickets sold, seat licenses, local taxpayer largesse, merchandise sales, etc, etc.

With motocross its hard to find what channel half the event might be on. This sport has a 2 - 3 % interest to public at best.

We might love it but nobody else knows it exists.

I read, and maybe Im wrong, but SX/MX is the #2 motorsport in popularity. We have major sponsors and NBC is a major network. The stadiums are filled. What is the comparison of a full SX venue to a football game in terms of ticket sales and sponsor money? Im betting its darn close.

KNOX!!!!! Where are the numbers?

Alright this could be lengthy.
Baseball: Average Salary per team is 86 million
Average attendance is 29,269 X the average ticket price of 28.94 = 68,610,633
TV contract with Fox and Turner is 5.8 billion over 8 years. Divided by 30 teams is 25,750,000 (that is just National TV. Each team also has a local contract)
Quick math tells me 68 + 25 = 93. They are already in the black.
Plus all stadium sales and the other cash coming in from MLB (They have profit sharing)

NFL is a cash cow:
Average team salary is $144 million
Ticket sales average $43 million per team. TV contract is $159 million per team. Now add the $ for team gear sold to everyone of those fans and the $ gets so big you lose count.

Supercross is hard to find exact details (I am sure this is by design) but total attendance is over 830,000 (48K per race) with an average ticket cost of $64 = $53,222,400. I have never found the details on the TV contract other then it has averaged more then a 3% growth each year since 2006. Im sure it is a big number but only Feld and MX Sports really knows.
Add in the $ from the outdoors and you have yourself a VERY healthy chunk of cash. (Outdoors numbers on ticket sales is ALWAY lied about since it is a cash business and the promoters / MX Sports don't want to pay tax on that. So a crowd will look like 30,000 and it will be "announced" as 14,000) Kenworthy did this EVERY year.

I will agree that most of this is apples to oranges but the truth is in there somewhere.

Main thing to remember is that the rider contracts are paid by the teams and NOT race day revenue. Those teams, just like in the stick and ball sports, get insurance coverage on those contracts. So if the rider is injured, that money starts to kick in.

That was not too long.

So ticket sales for SX are greater than baseball and football????

If this is true then the TV contracts should grow to the same level or higher.

How many players per team ? Are there more than 40 total at an event? Average rider salary seems to be a little low to me.

Supercross is 48k per race. But only 17 racer per year
Football is 68K per game X 256 games per year
Baseball is 29K per game X 2430 games per year

Don't get per team and per race mixed up. Huge difference

In all professional sports the big hidden money is from sponsors. How much did Monster put up so it can be called "Monster Energy Supercross" Only a select few know.
How much did David Sunflower Seeds put up to be the "Official Seed of the MLB" I have no idea but you can bet your ares it is more then you and I will ever make.

In all professional sports the big hidden money is from sponsors. How much did Monster put up so it can be called "Monster Energy Supercross" Only a select few know.
How much did David Sunflower Seeds put up to be the "Official Seed of the MLB" I have no idea but you can bet your ares it is more then you and I will ever make.

Huge investment, this is why GoPro, ( another thread) is trying to protect their investment by blocking 360. OR Davey promised exclusive for them.
It is easy for someone to try to make money off someone elses investments after all the pain and suffering, work and risk is done.
( I still think Reed should get to wear his camera, before anyone jumps me for talking other side)

Marketing departments are #1 in big time sports. If you can put a $ amount to your numbers it makes the deal.
If you tell Bob's gas station that you are having a race right down the street and 300 people will show up. Bob will yawn and tell you to buy something or leave. If you tell Bob that those 300 rider spends $35 on gas and Gatorade in a 10 mile radius of the track.... He will write you a $500 sponsorship check, then tell you to buy something and leave.
Keep those numbers for local and state governments and tell them your race is generating $5,000 dollars in taxes each race and they will listen to you and maybe even come up with some incentives to build or keep your track in the area. Tell them you are bringing 300 motorcycles to the area and they will be working against you because the old lady that lives down the street does not like all the noise.

All I know is a distant cousin pitched for the indians a couple years ago and got something like 8k per strike out just from his glove sponsor. A full year of bench warming alone gets you 450k..

Baseball profit shares. That's how they can pay the played when they're stadiums are empty.

Back