KTM 250 SXF

WOW, my OP wasn't to start fights. I was just wanting to ask a question. First off, Marty more than likely isn't overcharging, I've never taken my bike to a shop for a top end. That's why I asked. My post wasn't trying to down anyone, was just asking if my friend was going to be ripped off or not. Didn't mean to start crap...
Debates are good. This thread just hits close to home cause I just got done rebuilding both my bikes this past week, so I tried offering my best insight, which id suggest to Anyone even if this topic never came up.

I think the general consensus is No, for a dealership Wheelsports may be right on point with that estimate. While he's quick to make it sound like anyone(myself) that can do it cheaper must be an idiot, he's protecting the business and his quote which is very understandable.

So it's up to the consumer of how expensive he wants a Top End replacement to be, which we've found to be between $200-$1200, with NO real valvework included (sans cleaning). So hope your buddy's valves are within spec, I personally replace mine and do copper seats/guides between 20-40 hours which makes the head pretty bombproof. Hate for him to go through the high expense of a top end replacement without getting the valves done while its apart lol. Cheers
image.jpg

Well that's your opinion(DS). I answered the op as best as I could with mine.
A top end can be professionally done for $500 with top of the line parts.
A top end can also be done for $200 by reading the owners manual that comes with the bike, granted you have common knowledge.
A top end and air filter change can be done for $1200 at Wheelsports by Marty

Agree we don't know all the details, if the wrong bolt is for the seat then I wouldn't care less, cylinder head yeah we have problems.
What happens when the shop takes the head apart and tells the owner the valves are dished out and seats need recut(which is extremely likely)? thats probably another $1200 job at this guys rate.
Stuff like this is why you hear of guys having to abandon their engines at dealerships because the shop charge starts to exceed the bikes value, and once the dealer starts to perform the work the customer is stuck paying up or saying goodbye

I work at a large car dealership and our labor rate is $105.00 an hour. $55 to $85 an hour is employee rates lol. Marty you need to raise the rates so Wally can spend more time on his yacht. No Wally doesn't have a yacht. Shits expensive and so is running a business. i'm glad he's there so i have a place close to buy my parts. Did i mention Wally has mad basketball skills

Back