An Interesting Read

Yeah, but if all promoters thought like you, and said "hey practice is the best option, where would we race? Why put all the infrastructure you've put into BC for a practice track?

Someone needs to think outside the box that holds races, and see what might work. But as it is now, everyone does the same thing with class structure, etc on race day. Until one series steps up and trys something for a three race series or something, now one will ever know.

Yeah, but if all promoters thought like you, and said "hey practice is the best option, where would we race? Why put all the infrastructure you've put into BC for a practice track?

I ask myself that all the time. I will keep running the bigger events as I get requested to do so. There is demand for it, as there is for practice. Thus we will be prepared to run them if needed, but we dont have to run them.

I ask myself that all the time. I will keep running the bigger events as I get requested to do so. There is demand for it, as there is for practice. Thus we will be prepared to run them if needed, but we dont have to run them.

Lol....you dont HAVE to run practice either.

Even I am tired of talking about this. It is NEVER going to change. Promoters / owner want to add classes to increase revenue. RACERS want less classes for more seat time. The sport will not die and it will not grow.
All I can say is short moto's keep me from taking junior to more races. I wanted to go to Malvern this past weekend but my little guy needs time on the bike more then anything. Knowing we would have a 3 hour drive (each way) to the Vern then get 2, 4 lap motos, makes it hard to justify over driving less then an hour for practice. So we went to East fork for some good ol'e open riding.
We will get to the Vern. Hopefully a few times this year.
I did talk to a few guys this past weekend. The guys that you almost never see at a race, but week in and week out, show up for "open riding". I asked 3 and got the same answer. Why do you not go to races? "Why pay $25 for two 7 min moto's when I can ride all day here?" I then watch each one of them go out, ride 3 laps (or less) then idle back to the pits and toss the bike on the stand. Sit in a chair and watch the next group go out. Other than they got to do this 4 times instead of 2 motos, how it that any different? Crazy

haha.......I thought the same thing. You go for open practice and get about 4 15 minute sessions and few stay out for the whole 15 minutes. Guess they save the $10 gate, but don't get the $10 RMATV bucks either.

Some people I have come to the conclusion just don't like racing. Not sure why they bother putting numbers on their bike to go practice.

I did talk to a few guys this past weekend. The guys that you almost never see at a race, but week in and week out, show up for "open riding". I asked 3 and got the same answer. Why do you not go to races? "Why pay $25 for two 7 min moto's when I can ride all day here?" I then watch each one of them go out, ride 3 laps (or less) then idle back to the pits and toss the bike on the stand. Sit in a chair and watch the next group go out. Other than they got to do this 4 times instead of 2 motos, how it that any different? Crazy

That's been my observation for quite some time, and I believe I have posted something along those lines before. Most people don't actually ride much more than what they do at a race, maybe one half ass moto more. And most definitely don't ride harder than they would in a race. The one thing that is true of most practicers is that they are at the track way less. Anywhere from 3 hours to 6 hours max.

Id bet that 1 morning race practice & 2 race pace motos would equal 4 open practice rides. Just a different intensity. But people get to what they want when they want, that's the why practice is popular. The riders have more control over the schedule.

I'm one who just can't get past the thrill of racing though. I always have 4x as much fun especially when it's a death battle like this past weekend at chillitown! I never push that hard practicing. I will say that practicing at Smith rd...beans...bc....and the others where it's just open practice is what I do when I practice. I am one of those who will do 3-4 30 min sessions when I'm in shape.

I'm one who just can't get past the thrill of racing though. I always have 4x as much fun especially when it's a death battle like this past weekend at chillitown! I never push that hard practicing. I will say that practicing at Smith rd...beans...bc....and the others where it's just open practice is what I do when I practice. I am one of those who will do 3-4 30 min sessions when I'm in shape.
I prefer 3 3-4 minute sessions my self...

The problem is what classes do you eliminate?? As soon as someones class gets on the chopping block everyone changes their tune! I can tell you running practices are much less stressful from a promoters aspect but I don't think you can still get the same thrill/adrenaline factor with practice as you do from racing. I know from a spectators point of view there is something thrilling about watching a gate drop and everyone going for it in the first turn! I'm sure as a racer your heart rate increases when you are racing/battling.

I'm racing a gp tomorrow and excited about 1.5 hours going on the meter and me being able to sleep in till 830 and home before 1pm

Back