Combined AMA Championship

John250

PR Founding Father
Supercross has become a huge part of American motocross these days. Wouldn't it be great if Feld, MX Sports and the AMA came together with their separate series and made the SX/MX championship one championship? Then you would not have guys riding SX only, or MX only......you would have to get points in both to become the AMA American motocross champion.

Nascar has 36 races, and they are held on many style tracks. It would be similar to that. And if they mixed some SXs in with MX during the season would be great too. Like years ago, when they raced Atlanta SX, Gatorback, Daytona, then Orlando or Tampa. They don't have to be totally separate seasons in my opinion.

Guys are going to say.....but wait, they have to test for SX or MX.......BS. They have multiple bikes for both. Hop on the one for that track and go at it. The privateers are would still be in the same boat they are in now. Would make the season much more interesting in my opinion.

8 supercross, 8 outdoor and 4 arenas. On factory stock bikes. One class and you have to pick the size of bike before the year starts. No 450 outside and 250 for the arenas. Bikes are impounded between events and transported to the next race by the AMA to eliminate cheating. All race weekend maintenance is supervised by an independent official that has been through training like a MMI type school so they know what they are looking at and for.
They could still have a full series of indoor, outdoor and arena but the 20 special events would be the main event with "support" classes to fill the day. Those support classes would basically be the AAA minor leagues where teams could develop riders.
Oh, and I would make one of the outdoor races at Loretta's during the national. How could you have a better environment?
I would also develop a true Pro-Am series with 15 to 18 events throughout the year to develop the A riders. These races would be like a Chilitown race. Pro Am riders race for free for a nice size purse. That way the riders can actually support themselves why developing their skills.

That's part of my moto pipedream. It will never happen but I will never stop asking for it.

Then you have guys get injured in round 2 and you don't see them again until the following season instead of coming back for outdoors.

And BTW there used to be the "AMA Grand Champion" that was from the combined points of it all.

I forgot. Do away with the career number system. Or at least change the rule and make it something like to keep a top 10 or 20 number you have to finish in the top 20 in combined point2 from the previous year. Tedesco with 9 and Chiz with 11 is just goofy.

Kinda makes sense, but I'm not unhappy with the current setup. Bet riders would like having outdoors in the southern states during winter. Could have and outdoor in Phoenix during winter.

Manufacturer cup would be sweet.

Bone stock components. Only can change clicker and bar positioning.
That would disqualify every in current series championships... and if you think the price of bikes are expensive now...

Agree, would be cool though...

Back