VMD Hare Scramble

NQ1965

PR Elite
Another VMDays thread certainly isn't needed but, it's fun :rolleyes:

Just read of these updates to this year's Hare Scramble course:

Mandi Mastin, a seasoned competitor on the U.S. International Six Days Enduro Women's Trophy Team, has laid out the course for the past five years with the assistance of her family, the Bucher family and a few friends.

Mastin said the 2015 course will begin with a lap of the motocross track, and then head into the woods where competitors will make multiple loops of a 2.5-mile course.

"We put a lot of work into the course this year, because Mid-Ohio clear-cut some of the woods we used to ride," Mastin said. "Mid-Ohio actually helped us out a lot by letting us use a mini excavator this past weekend."

She added that much of the woods course will be new for 2015.

"The trail is going to look totally new to someone who has ridden it in the past. It's a mix of single-track and wide open trail," Mastin said. "With the rainy weather we've been having in Ohio, it is going to be technical course, but will be doable for any level rider. My team and I will adjust course, if necessary, closer to the race, based upon weather and trail conditions. We have a bunch of alternative lines on hand. We try to keep in mind that some of these racers come out and race just once a year. We want everyone to have a good time."

Hare Scramble races aren't my strong area and the Mid-Ohio event is enough for me. But I have come to enjoy the HS race at VMD, I think mainly because it's relatively short compared to most, and only goes for an hour. I won't claim that it's always an easy course, but is manageable for an average rider like me, and it is a ton of fun and I look forward to it.

Any other takers this year?

I've been thinking about it NQ. Even cleaned up the old toy hauler last week. But I'll be very fair weather at best. Had fun at Chillicothe a few weeks ago though...

The woods is definitely more my niche. I'm registered for PV 201-250A and Modern 0-200A. If the weather actually follows the forecast, the woods should be nearly perfect.

Got the Kawasaki back together and fired up today.
Just finished preregistering: PV 86cc-200cc B/C

Fired on first kick, with great compression. Only let it run for about 10 minutes. Gonna heat cycle it couple more times before Friday. I'm burning up vacation days starting Wednesday, so I'll have a little more time to go through the bikes.

Brings up another thought that I find working on me frequently now. I've actually gotten to love the simplicity of older the air cooled bikes. No water pumps, radiators, hoses, and a whole lot less parts overall. I see myself steering that direction a little more as I go along.

I was 13 years old in 1978, and slobbered over the pages of my Dirt Bike magazines of them bikes, (that I couldn't have:(). Those were the first bike pictures impressed into my brain and I like em!

The Force is strong . Surrender to the Force ! Air cooled ,no valves , no brakes or suspension worth talking about . Just mix gas and haul ass . It blows up , just clean up the bore , throw in a piston , and repeat . Simplicity rules !

VMD-2.jpg

no brakes or suspension worth talking about.

And funny you mention that too.
When I raced the 74-MX250 at Smith Rd a few years ago, that was my first experience on vintage machinery. I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I didn't know how the bike would actually feel getting air over jumps, or hammering through braking bumps. A few laps into the practice and race came the discovery that these old bikes "will fly", and that you handle them the same way you do any bike, it's a matter of feeling how it's gonna react and behave, and then adjusting your style to it and learning how to manage the obstacles with the bikes characteristics.

This taught me not to shy away from pushing it, and in a wierd sort of way...... I'm kind of craving jumping Poor Tom, just to see what he can do, and show him off.

One of my favorite pics of bike and son. My kid loves this bike. Rough, raw and mostly bulletproof, it's simplicity makes it beautiful. Let's face it, valves and water belong in toilets.
image.jpg

I didn't get a bike together for this weekend but am offering up personal videos if anyone would want one. I did one for NQ1965 last year from Action Sports. Let me know everything that you are racing this weekend and I'll quote you a fair price around it. You can email me at kyle10wolfe@gamail.com for all of the info.

Back