Dogs at VMD ?

Oldnslo

Noob
My wife just read the fine print on our VMDtickets and it clearly states " No Dogs allowed " this little detail is not mentioned anywhere else. Is bringing your dog an issue at VMD. I planned on bringing my buddy with me but didn't want to get turned away or tick anyone off by bringing my dog. Any words of wisdom is appreciated...

Last edited:
In the past I've seen people pack up and leave because they got gigged for having their dog with them . Don't think they were made to leave , just weren't allowed to have the dog there and had no other choice because of logistics . Probably best to board them for the event and avoid the worry and hassle IMO .

Yes indeed, I saw this rule when I researched after reading the tickets but wondered on enforcement. Most motor cycles events are dog friendly and have been for decades. I wasn't sure if they were trying to keep fools from bringing pets out to the grandstands during car racing events or something along those lines. This represents a huge problem and a fairly high loss of dollars to me. AMA VMD information doesn't mention it at all anywhere, only the Mid Ohio rules and tickets do....just pissed away a 400 to 500 dollars in fee's and bike prep. For nothing. not to mention vacation days from work ...Have fun at VMD !

This is the reason I have never been to Mid-Ohio..
I would not have signed up if I had known prior too. Thing is, the AMA VMD site makes no mention of it, only after I purchased tickets to get into the mid Ohio course did it become apparent, by then the money on sign up and swapmeet spaces was spent. I can only be thankful I didn't drive 8 hours to be turned away. I would like to hear about the chances of getting a refund for race fees and swap meet spots....Fat chance I would imagine.
Responsible people suffer for the acts of fools in just about every situation these days. I hate lawyers , i am sure an issue with a dog on the grounds made this possible. How about all pets must be leashed at all times with no exception....something a bit more within reason for the responsible owner. Is alcohol allowed in ? see my point. Good luck to all those racing VMD.....Bummed out bad ....
Oh well , live and learn . One more thing ruined in modern soceity....dogs life's Matter !

Your know how you to tell the difference between a car hitting a dog, from a car hitting a lawyer ?

There are skid marks for the dog !

The AMA VMD site section with Event Info, Schedules, Directions has some specific external links -- one of which is the Mid Ohio Guest Guide that spells out all those facility rules.

I'd suggest giving them a call to see how specific it is -- or if it is just related to their superbike races, etc.

The AMA VMD site section with Event Info, Schedules, Directions has some specific external links -- one of which is the Mid Ohio Guest Guide that spells out all those facility rules.
Good to know......I'm going regardless....what dog ?

Last edited:
I told my wife last year that we could not take our dog because of rules, there were dogs there and she just about killed me. She ask someone at track with AMA I believe and they said that they had no problem with them. As long as they are not out running around I don't think that you will have problem. Like you said what dog.

Is the bicycle ban enforced during VMD?
I put many miles on my unlicensed Yamaha Chappy there years ago when I think the rules stated that no unlicensed where allowed.

I had my mountain bike one year and nobody said anything. I think it all depends on being in the wrong place at the wrong time or your just being a butt head and they have something to hook you for. On the license issue they do say that but that is really not enforced - the only thing I have seen be an issue with motorized bikes is if they are too loud, especially at night.

Heading to "Field of dreams" to run the ARMHA event instead...Vintage racing done right.....Dogs and mountain bikes welcome at less than half the cost and 100 % less Bullshit than AMA VMD.....pissed AMA life member....not looking for a hassle and bad time or to cause anyone grief....

All kiddin aside, best of luck to all those running VMD , maybe I can have my act together next year for VMD.
I will admit that Ohio beats NJ any day , all day, but be that as it may , Off To N.J. I go with my Dogs in Tow....

This year I saw several dogs out walking their people and many bicycles. I've never seen the licensed/registered rule even attempted to be enforced since I've been coming here (first time was '07).

KRH

Heading to "Field of dreams" to run the ARMHA event instead...Vintage racing done right.....Dogs and mountain bikes welcome at less than half the cost and 100 % less Bullshit than AMA VMD.....pissed AMA life member....not looking for a hassle and bad time or to cause anyone grief....

All kiddin aside, best of luck to all those running VMD , maybe I can have my act together next year for VMD.
I will admit that Ohio beats NJ any day , all day, but be that as it may , Off To N.J. I go with my Dogs in Tow....

Not sure why you're coming across sounding like the AMA or Mid-Ohio are giving anyone "bullshit"?

In today's litigious society, I'm amazed that folks attending AMA vintage days have the latitude to have as much fun as they do. For example, what other mx event allows folks to pit ride what ever it is they're riding to get around the event grounds. This weekend, there was an impromptu pit bike race around 2 trash cans involving about 30 riders on pitbikes having fun play racing on the edge of the campgrounds. Also heard a few pitbikes got on the mx track Saturday evening and as far as I know no one kicked them off. Bottom line...to me, AMA vintage days seem to be a pretty laid back event where you're not overly supervised by the Mid_Ohio staff.

I've ridden both AHRMA and AMA events and I personally prefer the way the AMA does things. AMA has a non current bike class to bring in more riders and they also allow younger kids to ride in their events...AHRMA is shooting themselves in the foot by not allowing younger riders participate at their events. Which brings to question....what's more important, bringing younger riders into the vintage racing scene OR allowing dogs at the track?? I AM a dog lover, but an mx track is no place to bring a dog (for a number of very apparent reasons). In past years, the AMA has also hired a professional photographer to take hundreds of awesome high resolution pics that have then been put up on a website for anyone to download...the only pics I've seen that AHRMA has taken of riders are a few grainy black and whites that end up in their newsletter. Another thing, what is AHRMA's annual membership get you in comparison to an AMA membership? And what's an AHRMA membership cost these days...something like 60 bucks?

You also talk about saving 50% by going to an AHRMA event in NJ...unless you have a gas and transportation sponsor, seems that gas plus vehicle wear and tear driving to NJ is going to make up for whatever it is you were thinking you'd be saving?

To each his own, but I'm having trouble seeing the benefits of driving to NJ for an ARHMA event instead of having fun right here in Ohio!

Last edited:
You must have not read the "all kidding aside" comment....I'm an AMA life member. That should tell you everything you need to know in regards to my commitment to that organization. Not attending VMD was due to my ignorance and lack of planning in regards to the rules of the event. Nuff said on that..

Last edited:
I really question AHRMA's decision to schedule a MX race in Jersey on the same weekend as AMA's Vintage Days. Not sure they done any favors there for their members or the Jersey track owner.

Sorry you didn't join us, hope to see you there next year. You missed a good one.

I totally agree with everything Mark (mooch) posted. I way prefer AMA vintage races over AHRMA and the 75.00 membership is ridiculous! AMA has a great awards after the race and as stated by Mooch a professional photographer! More classes, Hands down better!

We live in our coach year round , traveling the country as we please. I do own a large farm in Pa. Where I lived my entire working life. Our dogs travel with us so I needed to account for a kennel and didn't until it was much to late. I would have much rather ride AMA VMD over ARMHA but didn't want to break rules or offend anyone. Everything isn't as cut and dry as people want to make it....As a life member of the AMA and long time supporter , Ie, big dollars to fight Issues both on and off road , I truly support the AMA is a major way in all they stand for anddo for motorcycle riders in the USA. I am sorry I missed it as well but plan on being there next year with bells on..Turn out was quite good in NJ . Loads of riders contending for ARMHA points....Each group has its pluses and minues as is with most things in life and Sport..

"I really question AHRMA's decision to schedule a MX race in Jersey on the same weekend as AMA's Vintage Days. Not sure they done any favors there for their members or the Jersey track owner"

I agree the MX attendance seemed good but the roadrace attendance was definitely not. Not many on the track Friday and Saturday and the pits were pretty empty. AHRMA must have had their NJ race on the schedule for a long while because there were a ton registered for RR there. I think those guys are all about the series with AHRMA but they always came to the VMD because it's such a great event and there was no conflict. You can't really blame them because the AMA has no other events but it just stinks.

Back