Entry list for Lorettas is up. And again Ohio is down

I do remember the days when you could race Saturday or Saturday night and then again on Sunday almost every week.

Alright, fact time.
Throughout the 80's and 90's Ohio averaged sending over 90 each year to Loretta's. Strong numbers continued until 2005 when Ohio had 95 qualify. Then, BOOM. numbers just went in the hole to the tune of 2012 = 46 and the worst year 2013 = 40. 2014 = 52 and this year 2015 we are sending 46.
Now before anyone claims its the training facilities in the south... In 2005 Georgia sent 68, this year, 76. Not exactly the increase you were expecting right? Yes Georgia has had a spike in resent years. They reached an all-time high in 2015 at 97. YES, 97. Ohio use to average that.
Other home states to big full time training facilities like North and South Carolina have even more puzzling numbers. In 2005 North Kakalaka sent 64. They peaked in 2013 at 81 and have dropped to 63 last year and only 55 this year. South Carolina has always averaged 27 and this year will send 24 so it aint da south stealing our fast boys...
Florida in 2005 = 130, this year 123
Texas in 2005 = 102, this year 90
And of course, California 2005 = 125, 2012 = 147, 2013 = 145, 2014 = 165 and this year, BOOM 209. Yeah, I don't think moto in Cali is all that bad.

So whatever killed speed in Ohio should be pretty easy to see. Its still there.

Now that is what I was talking about... Great job Mr Knox.. I'm sorta with BC about maybe other states were underdeveloped but still something is a happening... I blame global warming and the confederate flag

More races injure racers too. It's a fine line...

Just announcing local ohio races, the gates for the youth classes are in now way near the turnout from when I raced 65, 85 and super mini. Super mini would have 30 on the gate and that was as light day. 85 jr and sr would be 20-30 as well. Now supermini is lucky to grab 15, jr mini-7, sr mini 4-10.

Kinda lines up with the 50% reduction in numbers going to the ranch now, than they did 10 years ago. It's proportionate. Half the guys on the gate, half the number of attendees at the ranch. People aren't racing. I don't help the statistic. I race 3-5 a year if i'm lucky and I strategically pick them. In 2005 there was no strategory in picking, we went racing--d12. Every series race (which was all the time) Between series races and LLQ we were racing ALOT.

I will sum it up for all of you.

Lack of interest in racing in Ohio. Lets face it, if they ran races here like it was in the 90's and early 2000's the turnout would be about 75 riders. That is already evident with the reduced schedule we see now. In Ohio people are bored with racing, the only growth I can see ( and I might be off base here ) is the Battle series. 3 races that pack them in, the rest of the time most riders are pro practicing.

Maybe the increase in Minn and WI are due to the Dunge ???

Wisconsin has a strong local mx schedule and I checked a few result pages and they have BIG turnouts, 350 to 500 each race... go figure.
Ohio has always sent a lot of 50's and Vet's to Lorettas and it is prolly not a coincident those are the largest classes week to week around the state.
What bothers me more then anything is watching riders "scrubbing" and throwing whips on every G-D jump then coasting around the next corner. STOP IT. You are not, nor ever will be Bubba. They are "trying" to shave a millisecond off the lap time but you can time them in a corner with a sundial. This past weekend I watched a kid on a Honda 85 at East Fork. The kid was fast but looked like a complete d-bag trying to "drag the pegs" off ever jump larger then a braking bump. If you are, know or related to that kid PLEASE convince him to go over the jumps STAIGHT and he could be a really good racer.
.... Come to think of it, you never see a scrub or whip in the 50's or old dude classes....
I think I just figured out the root cause as to why our state has lost so much speed....
SCRUBS ARE KILLING MOTO IN OHIO !!!

Knox, have you done any research as to where these folks are qualifying from? Is it that other regions are traveling more to other regions and although they cannot qualify in their region, they are still fast enough to qualify in another region? Is it to say Ohio was never really that fast, just faster in the Mid-East region than those that were trying to qualify at the time? Heck, we had was southern Florida riders at the BC Area race this year. That's a long way to travel..., but if qualifying for LL is your goal, I guess you may take drastic measures...

Yes, people chase this crap more then they did some years ago. This again is something very foreign to me. I cant get past the basic idea of if you are not fast enough to qualify from your home regional, why would you want to travel a long way for another try somewhere else? If you do qualify, your going to get smoked AGAIN by the guys that beat you in your home regional???
And of course I have looked at where they are coming from.
Sunday Creek regional:
Ohio = 107
Michigan = 93
Penn = 64
Georgia = 44
Tenn = 43
Indiana = 41
Kentucky = 34
North Carolina = 34
Ill = 34
New York = 27
Florida = 28
Texas 23
Wisconsin = 20
South Carolina = 19
Minn = 15
Virginia = 14
Mass = 11
Louisiana = 10

And about 10 other states sent single digits.

For Red Bud Regional and those on big bikes
upload_2015-7-10_11-14-43.png

From that regional, who qualified from what state? Did Ohio have the most LL qualifiers from the Sunday Creek regional or did all other states combined come into Ohio and beat us out of going to LL? Basically did Ohio win the Ohio Regional? Did MI win the MI regional?

Guess point I am trying to make is that although you cannot qualify in your region and/or beat the fastest from your state, they are still faster than our best. ??? Isn't the point to get the fastest riders in the country to LL not necessarily the fastest riders from the region to LL's?

Look at that 0 for 54 from KY, and 0 for 22 from N.C. and 11 out of 90 from TN... interesting.

11 out of 166 only from the 3 south states.

Looks like hard pack guys do not like rough loose dirt.

So what does that say about all the sand being dumped in TN?

From that regional, who qualified from what state? Did Ohio have the most LL qualifiers from the Sunday Creek regional or did all other states combined come into Ohio and beat us out of going to LL? Basically did Ohio win the Ohio Regional? Did MI win the MI regional?

Guess point I am trying to make is that although you cannot qualify in your region and/or beat the fastest from your state, they are still faster than our best. ??? Isn't the point to get the fastest riders in the country to LL not necessarily the fastest riders from the region to LL's?

Ohio guys might win Ohio rwgionals If the promoters stop mimicking track conditions (sand) of other regions!!!

A lot of these rough and tough sand riders can't keep it on two wheels through hard pack slick blue groove courses....

Ohio guys might win Ohio rwgionals If the promoters stop mimicking track conditions (sand) of other regions!!!

A lot of these rough and tough sand riders can't keep it on two wheels through hard pack slick blue groove courses....
The problem is, if you make it to the ranch it only gets rougher. I haven't raced there is 20 years, but judging by what I have seen, it's just as rough as ever.

By the way, I was standing there in 91' when Knox won the balance contest and walked away with a new KX80. :cool:

Mideast region is not just Ohio. Sunday Creek was not an "Ohio" regional. Some people travel to other regions to race a better track. We weren't thrilled to race Sunday Creek, but it turned out really well even after the monsoon rains. I'll say that again (for the record lol) Great job, Sunday Creek!

Sunday Creek is a tough track... Something the data won't tell you.

The problem is, if you make it to the ranch it only gets rougher. I haven't raced there is 20 years, but judging by what I have seen, it's just as rough as ever.

By the way, I was standing there in 91' when Knox won the balance contest and walked away with a new KX80. :cool:
Remember who I beat in the final?
King of Supercross. pffff

Back