Air compressor

nitrofish

PR Addict
Well, my 20 year old Craftsman air compressor blew up last night. I'm in the market for a new one. I don't want a stand up one due to size, I'm looking for something that will run basic air tools. My questions are: what is a good brand? I was happy with the ole Craftsman but with Sears going down hill that is worriesome. Do the tankless or small tank compressors do the job? Mine was a 5 gallon and did what I needed. Thanks, Matt.

I still like Sears Craftsman products, I just make sure I review them quite a bit before purchasing.

I have this one and really like it. Probably too large for what you are describing.

spin_prod_833577312

The biggest thing to remember is you get what you pay for! Air compressors are no exception. You really need to stay away from the aluminum sleeve cyl. units. The cast iron ones last much much longer. If you want one that will last another 20 years you wont get it cheap.

My advise is stay away from oil less models, they make a ton of noise and are not built for the long haul. The one Pit posted looks pretty nice for the home owner. If you want to go big Rural King has Quincy models on the floor and Tractor Supply has Ingersoll Rand models.

you are far off better buying an old used high quality industrial compressor than a new homeowner type.

Kellog, puma, HGR industrial on the east side has a bunch of used stuff. you do need to be careful and know what you are looking for.

they have a 30 day return on that stuff

If you like the compressor you have, check on parts to repair it. You didn't say what broke, but Sears has rebuild kits for oilless compressors that aren't very expensive.

Tankless units are about useless for tools that require volume, and the ones of seen are awful noisey as well.

I have a twin tank dewalt for work, it's noisy and dances in circles till it pulls the plug out of the wall. A lot more noise then my hitachi twin tank.
dewalt

Back