It seems the down turn in MX is nation wide.

inconsistencies. There are a few tracks I can go to and get exactly what I came for. The prep is inconsistent at oir. Phenombeal days and flop days.

THIS is so true. If anyone ever asks "hey want to head to BC" I will NEVER say no. Because when I go I know 100% for sure what I can expect. I can't say that about many other tracks, other than probably malvern.

You ohio guys sure are hard to please, think some should go spend a day working on a track and see what takes.

There reasons for that.
As the consumer I believe I deserve to receive a good quality product for my hard earned money.
Also there are tracks that have proved that a high quality product is achievable. So why would I give my money to a half asser just because their open? If a track doesn't put in the quality time and effort they shouldn't expect to be hit with a s**t storm of profit.

Last edited:
clearly doesn't apply to someone running a track as a full time business, but dont a lot of the track owners have other jobs?? also that was just practice.. thats not talking race's in there as well.

If I were to guess, i would say that 90% have other businesses or income. Theres at least one entity that does this for a living, any guesses?

Last edited:
Yes customer service are two words the motocross industry is still trying to learn. But your fees are cheap over there compaired to illinois

10 on gate sometimes ( 12 or 15 for ll stuff) 30 reg class 35 A and vet class, practice 25/20 most have membership fees

Last edited:
You ohio guys sure are hard to please, think some should go spend a day working on a track and see what takes.

Have a large track at my house, I know exactly what it takes.

The way I see it an MX track is like any other business. You get out of it what you put in it. In order to really make it successful it is going to be a very large part of your life. If an owner isnt willing to give that much the track will be mediocre. Proof is every where.

1. Put more hours into it than you have time for
2. Good layout with excellent prep
3. Manicured grounds
4. Proper infrastructure
5. Trained and professional employees
6. Professional attitudes
7. Perfected job descriptions for each task required
8. Tight schedule
9. Stick to the rules for everyone
10. Marketing, marketing, marketing

There really isnt much more to say besides that. If you cant do it the turnout will suffer.

When I was watering for dirtworld turnouts were 50-60 each thursday. Mike had a good system and proper equipment.

Leased the land and turnouts dwindled. And now it's dozed flat. Gone.

Running a track ain't easy. I contemplated leasing dirtworld. But I came to the conclusion that without $50,000 in the bank dedicated to the track only--I wouldn't be able to have a decent place.

Last edited:
Our expense account for the Battle Round was 59,814.52. Insurance was around $1,004. I know, I know, I find it hard to believe myself. I'm close to posting our detailed financials on Pitracer but I know the end result will be the mass murdering of our numbers and financial decisions. We do not make huge profits! It's a ton of risks with small financial rewards. Jeremy

You need turnouts to pay for your hard work and time you put in to these tracks. However, running a track will never be a way to earn a living. The few that can are drawing in thousands of people for professional events or amateur national events. Unfortunately, the local guys don't stand a chance, I know a lot of the owners and promoters do it for the love of the sport. Makes sense, I agree with not going to a track due to poor prep. We all work very hard for our money, why spend it with someone who is in it because they want to make tons of money. (Most owners and promoters understand it's not a way to make a living.) There have been a few that did the bare minimum and when people figured it out they quit getting turnouts and closed their gates. We have lost so many tracks due to people not riding. Sad to see so many good tracks fall apart but sometimes it gets to a point where no one can afford to keep up on them when the people quit coming. The never ending battle continues..

Right.....lol

I dont think any one is saying its the AMA's fault.

I did
they are in charge they know many tracks are having a hard time and they are doing nothing to help.
if my employees are not doing their job well, it is MY job to train them better and supply them with tools to succeed.

Back