2016 Vintage Racing in OHIO

image.jpg

Ya I'm AMA Alex's dad. I figured most knew. Baby hunter should be here anytime. Plan was to hit vet fest and hopefully baja brawl but he's got to stay close. Rules!!

Anyhow speaking of grandkids when Alex was born in '86 I bought this PW. Been sitting in corner for 25 years. Might get it running for his little one.

Alex said one change for next year might be adding one youth non-current class,a pw (like design) class which would basically allow this 1986 or a 2016. Be cool to have a pw class for our grandkids or younger vintage guys that want their kid to ride same event. Alex said it would a big crowd fav at VMD too.

See ya

Steve H.

So Mike tell me about your VAST experience about AHRMA? MXKid 2 or 3 races a yr? Sorry you got the wrong guys didn't see 1 of you clowns when there was a race at monster mountain when the ama tried something new out of the midwest.Never see you pundits at a supercross pushing a vintage bike for blocks to promote vintage racing with Legends and Heros group.Your the same group that pisses and cries about about the cost of racing. Since Mike is a expert and I am the dumbest on here for you new newbees here's the facts $75 membership,$60 to race,better read the the rules real real close, got a flat slide carb on your bike see ya, 83 kx? Good luck entering that, narrow frame Maico ? Nope not in that class, opps what rims you got on that bike sorry not here , Sir your 74 honda has 2 millimeter thicker fork legs, yea I know but the travel is the same and my fat ass bends oem ones and I drove 300 miles to race, not my problem not racing here.Oh and if your bike was ok in texas doesn't mean it will pass tech in ohio.Sorry have at it with those clowns tell me how it works out for you. Oh and the 10 or so vintage race groups across the US you ever wonder why these guys who run them are all X ahrma guys? And the guy who ran balence track these would be same bunch who whined about your track.Team186 I don't know who you are, because I use my real name you get the Ama to get a series going me and my son will help any way possible. Alex Hunter think supercross 25k people there,vintage bikes on display riders young and old,passing out info on the new national vintage series and new classes to bring in the 19- 29 riders that's the future
Devine reason I wasnt at monster mtn,the ama scheduling a race at Log Road the same weekend I went there 200 mile vs 800,also taked to an AHRMA guy that went to mm,he told me when SE Vin guys left on sat,not many there for sun?? As far as supercross,ur right i dont go,alot of times im going to a race! Cries about the cost of racing? Ill bet ive spent more $ racing vin racing the past 4 yrs than u! Never seen a guy get turned away at an AHRMA race,seen locals show up with discs and they let them ride! I dont want to make this an AMA vs AHRMA thing but ive lined up with 30+ in ahrma +50 classes before,AMA money pit at Mid-Ohio this year 16 first moto,sun 4!!! They got their work cut out for them! As far as 10 + groups around the country former ahrma guys,how do u think AHRMA started??? They left the AMA !!!!! As far as calling me a clown. SCREW YOU !!!!!

I am in the school of "don't care who is putting it on if I can get there and have time I will come" A running bike helps as well but to me it is pretty simple and Rick, while you do seem to be a good guy, it seems your main protest to AHRMA is that they will hammer you for bending their rules. Uhm-don't do it then and the price is the price. I have never pushed my bike through inspection worried about anything. Making a statement that MXKID is a clown and doesn't know the deal is way out of line. I know for a fact that there is not another rider on the planet rode more races in at least 2014 than him - AHRMA and AMA. He could care less about the BS that seems to exists with the "I don't like the AMA" crowd or the "I don't like AHRMA" crowd. Heck he gives people primo Maico's to ride so the gates are fuller.

Team186-absolutely put something together and we will support it. I went to Dirt Country on 80's flashback with some other Pitracers and we had a ball. They actually didn't change the track for us but as stated it is a bit more vintage friendly then some. For what it is worth I don't think the modern racers minded one bit that we were racing the same day, I think they actually enjoyed it. I have long said "if you found 3 tracks in one geographic area that would let you run 2x per year you would have a great series" If a track does make it vintage friendly and they have open practice Saturday with racing Sunday it is really great. While I am on that that is what Nickota in Bedford, KY is doing for us over Labor Day. I do suggest trying not to overlap with AHRMA races in the East if you can-Axton, VA is running AHRMA the same weekend and that hurts.

For those of you that like the AMA only -see you in Bedford, KY. For those of you that like AHRMA only - see you in Delta, OH. For those of you that like both well.....
Bill thanks for not thinking im a clown! If u see devine at bedford,ky on Labor Day weekend tell him im at Lake Sugar Tree riding a NATIONAL on a former NATIONAL TRACK not in a tour race!

Has SW Ohio had an AHRMA race?
DMC had that "almost" race several years ago when not enough showed up to have a race day schedule. Turned out to be fun practice day but I don't remember if AHRMA was involved...
that was a great time, and yes it was a AHRMA race

I did my first AHRMA race today in Crofton, KY. It wasn't a big turnout but there were racers from 14 states. I met a small, dedicated group of mostly older riders that enjoyed the day and raced hard. The track prep wasn't perfect but it had a fun, competitive adaptation to a modern track and was safe.

AHRMA had a more thorough tech inspection than the AMA races I have attended. This included checking my helmet's manufacture date. Mine was older than the 60 month old maximum per AHRMA's rules. It was my issue for not reading the rules that were clearly spelled out and highlighted in bold - but nobody chased me off the property. The officials explained why they had the rule, let me race, and said get a new helmet before the next race.

MXKID was, of course, there and racing his tail end off. I was in a gate with him and he battled hard to win a moto with a guy that was over 25 but under 30. I got out of the way so I didn't mess up a great battle.

Let's talk about that 25-30 year old. Alex, it would be interesting to survey the AMA's Vintage/Post Vintage under 30 year olds to understand why they are racing these old bikes. It is not because of nostalgia.
  • Are they doing it as a way to spend time with their dads or dads that are racing?
  • Are they doing it because it is a safer alternative to modern MX?
  • Are they doing it because they can be competitive without the time/cost commitment necessary to run modern motocross?
  • Is it something else?
As I was waiting for a gate drop, they guy running the starting gate had previously raced at Loretta's but said he hadn't raced in over 2 years because he couldn't justify the bike purchase/maintenance costs and training time necessary to run in Modern Motos.

Maybe Market with a little less emphasis about the Vintage aspect and more about A Safer, Cheaper Alternative to Modern MX.
Some of the most debated threads on PitRacer and other sites is about how to make MX safer. Here is a potential answer for a lot of people that will never race pro or Lorettas. How many 20-30 year olds play in softball leagues as a competitive but safer, less demanding alternative to baseball.

One way to promote, market Vintage and Post Vintage racing (especially with the newer non-current classes) might be to to put less emphasis on the Vintage/Post Vintage aspect and market it a bit more as it as a safer, cost effective alternative to modern racing - especially for guys that raced when their parents were paying most of the cost for racing and are now trying to start their families, financial independence, careers, and still trying to find a way to keep participating in the sport they had so much passion for.

I'll repost part of a prior post I sent about looking at this from a customer segmentation to understand where the growth might come from.
  • Racers that raced bikes 1974 and earlier when they were 18-25 year olds are now 59-66. Is the number of new racers or returning racers really going to increase enough to make a difference?
  • Racers that raced bikes 1984 and earlier when they were 18-25 year olds are now 49-56. Is it realistic to think hundreds of new or returning racers will decide to join the sport even with great promotion?
  • Racers that raced bikes 1989 and earlier when they were 18-25 year olds are now 44-51. Now were are getting into an interesting market segment and from what I understand was a boom period in Ohio Motocross.
  • Racers that raced bikes 1998 and earlier when they were 18-25 year olds are now 35-42. Start marketing to them with attractive bike classes and this segment will grow - keeping the gate big enough for the track owner and have Vintage/Post Vintage classes.

Racers that raced bikes 1998 and earlier when they were 18-25 year olds are now 35-42. Start marketing to them with attractive bike classes and this segment will grow - keeping the gate big enough for the track owner and have Vintage/Post Vintage classes.

That is where the AMA class structure blows away AHRMA. Also with the AMA talking about having 80cc classes next year, that's another growth point -- not because the kids raced them when little, but now Dad can put his son/daughter on the same bike he raced when young.

That is where the AMA class structure blows away AHRMA.

You are right.

As I spent the day at AHRMA yesterday, I didn't see a clear way to attract more riders with its current class structure. No pre-modern/non-current, no kids, and nothing to attract new racers that aren't already participating.

OMG. This is why I quit vintage racing. Hello AMA? Hello AHRMA? Vintage racing has NOTHING to do with either "organization".
Both groups SUCK and only care about the money.

Its about the bikes and the fellowship with other enthusiasts.

Devine reason I wasnt at monster mtn,the ama scheduling a race at Log Road the same weekend I went there 200 mile vs 800,also taked to an AHRMA guy that went to mm,he told me when SE Vin guys left on sat,not many there for sun?? As far as supercross,ur right i dont go,alot of times im going to a race! Cries about the cost of racing? Ill bet ive spent more $ racing vin racing the past 4 yrs than u! Never seen a guy get turned away at an AHRMA race,seen locals show up with discs and they let them ride! I dont want to make this an AMA vs AHRMA thing but ive lined up with 30+ in ahrma +50 classes before,AMA money pit at Mid-Ohio this year 16 first moto,sun 4!!! They got their work cut out for them! As far as 10 + groups around the country former ahrma guys,how do u think AHRMA started??? They left the AMA !!!!! As far as calling me a clown. SCREW YOU !!!!!

Just shake it off Mike.
He only ran his mouth on you because he clearly doesn't know you or how you race. If he did know you, wouldn't of said it.

You are right.

As I spent the day at AHRMA yesterday, I didn't see a clear way to attract more riders with its current class structure. No pre-modern/non-current, no kids, and nothing to attract new racers that aren't already participating.
Dano it was good meeting you yesterday.AHRMA does have a pre modern class,dont know what bikes are anle to run in it,but I have seen some16-20 yr olds in it from time to time

OMG. This is why I quit vintage racing. Hello AMA? Hello AHRMA? Vintage racing has NOTHING to do with either "organization".
Both groups SUCK and only care about the money.

Its about the bikes and the fellowship with other enthusiasts.
Ck1your right its about the bikes! Both organizations need some work,but its about the $!!! I started riding pv 4 yrs ago,ride both AMA & AHRMA dont want to here about their troubles just want to race! I want to run 20+ races a year,so AHRMA gives me that opportunity between nationals and regional races.AMA this year I will get two,I Know ama race coming up in Ky,but im heading to Lake Sugar Tree.

For all those people excited to race AHRMA regional races in our area next year, that means everybody except RICK DEVINE, more good news.

Looks like RT62 is also on next years regional vintage schedule, with at least one more track to come.

I know the rest of us would think 6 regional vintage races at 3 local tracks are a good thing, sorry Rick you can wait for Mid Ohio.

I have never attended a regional event. Is it just vintage or do they include modern bikes and youth classes?

I have never attended a regional event. Is it just vintage or do they include modern bikes and youth classes?
Vintage & Post Vintage for sure, most of the AHRMA Nationals have included later model & support classes, no youth classes that I have seen,

I always thought a Vet Fest type of event and a vintage race was a natural combo. Maybe it already exist? I would think it could pull more people into the vintage scene.

I always thought a Vet Fest type of event and a vintage race was a natural combo. Maybe it already exist? I would think it could pull more people into the vintage scene.
When AHRMA or AMA adds a modern support class it really has the potential to become a vet fest, there are some younger guys (which is good) but it gives some of the vintage racers a chance to bring their newer bike and ride on a safer track.

In the North Atlantic region ahrma regional races usually run with the masters mx organization.just running a regional ahrma race,not enough people will show up to make it worth while.

So now we have RT 62 confirmed for the AHRMA 2016 Vintage Regionals, more to come I believe.

Really excited, we could have 5 or 6 AHRMA regionals, 1 AHRMA National, & Mid- Ohio (VMD) in 2016.

That a huge opportunity, we all need to encourage friends who haven't tried VINTAGE/POST VINTAGE MX yet to find an old bike and be ready for spring.

Plus still to come this year the GLASS CITY CLASSIC at the venerable DELTA Motorsports Park in September

11889540_151878965148503_8703102982605597251_n.jpg

Last edited:
Back