1. Dismiss Notice

Spoke nipple oil? Exhaust paint?

Discussion in 'General Tech' started by LuckyStar64, Oct 19, 2015.

1. LuckyStar64

LuckyStar64 PR Addict

So I'm hot and heavy into a dirt bike project right now, and I have a couple questions. First off-- what type of oil should be used on spoke nipples when building a wheel? Does somebody sell something specifically for this purpose?

I have some idea about how to tackle just about every aspect of a bike resto, EXCEPT for paint. What paint are you guys using on exhausts? Preferably a rattle can. I'm going to ride the living $h!t out of this thing. so I don't want to take it to a painter or anything.

2. DTS

DTS PR Addict

Anti Seize on the spokes, and I've had good luck with this stuff...
    It matched a perfectly to the OEM pipe black on a 2006 RM125.
    I baked the pipe in the oven after the paint dried, and it's held up all season.

1836.JPG

3. Mike

Mike PR Addict

Racing Number:
    Lowes sell two different kinds of black paint for gas grills, the satin is perfect for exhaust systems

4. LuckyStar64

LuckyStar64 PR Addict

I was looking at grill paint, but I want something that'll stand up to chemicals, gas, etc. Did that Lowe's paint hold up over time?

About that Cool It paint-- where did you get it, and what color/finish matched the RM exhaust? Damn I don't want a m/c exhaust in my oven though!!

I've had decent success with that Duplicolor paint from Autozone? Has anybody ever tried that high temp stuff they have before? --L*64

5. DTS

DTS PR Addict

Advance auto parts actually had it. I got the black.. I'll post a photo of my actual can tomorrow. The RM pipe had surface rust about 5 inches down from the cylinder. I wire wheeled the rust off, then hand sanded it it smooth. I put 2 or 3 coats on with dry time between. Once the last coat dried, I cooked it for 15 mins at 375. Let it cool, then cooked it again. The paint has a ceramic base I believe.

In my case, it was the middle of winter so I used the oven to cure it. I don't see why you couldn't put the pipe on the bike and run the engine to cure the paint though.

I can't see, or feel a difference where the thermo-tech paint meets up with the oem paint on the pipe.

Ps, it made my moms house smell wonderful for about an hour haha

6. LuckyStar64

LuckyStar64 PR Addict

I saw on the heat shield thread a couple posts down the actual can. Is 1200 degrees enough on an air cooled 4 stroke? --L*64