Spoke nipple oil? Exhaust paint?

LuckyStar64

PR Addict
So I'm hot and heavy into a dirt bike project right now, and I have a couple questions. First off-- what type of oil should be used on spoke nipples when building a wheel? Does somebody sell something specifically for this purpose?

I have some idea about how to tackle just about every aspect of a bike resto, EXCEPT for paint. What paint are you guys using on exhausts? Preferably a rattle can. I'm going to ride the living $h!t out of this thing. so I don't want to take it to a painter or anything.

Anti Seize on the spokes, and I've had good luck with this stuff...
It matched a perfectly to the OEM pipe black on a 2006 RM125.
I baked the pipe in the oven after the paint dried, and it's held up all season.

1836.JPG

Lowes sell two different kinds of black paint for gas grills, the satin is perfect for exhaust systems

I was looking at grill paint, but I want something that'll stand up to chemicals, gas, etc. Did that Lowe's paint hold up over time?

About that Cool It paint-- where did you get it, and what color/finish matched the RM exhaust? Damn I don't want a m/c exhaust in my oven though!!

I've had decent success with that Duplicolor paint from Autozone? Has anybody ever tried that high temp stuff they have before? --L*64

Advance auto parts actually had it. I got the black.. I'll post a photo of my actual can tomorrow. The RM pipe had surface rust about 5 inches down from the cylinder. I wire wheeled the rust off, then hand sanded it it smooth. I put 2 or 3 coats on with dry time between. Once the last coat dried, I cooked it for 15 mins at 375. Let it cool, then cooked it again. The paint has a ceramic base I believe.

In my case, it was the middle of winter so I used the oven to cure it. I don't see why you couldn't put the pipe on the bike and run the engine to cure the paint though.

I can't see, or feel a difference where the thermo-tech paint meets up with the oem paint on the pipe.

Ps, it made my moms house smell wonderful for about an hour haha

I saw on the heat shield thread a couple posts down the actual can. Is 1200 degrees enough on an air cooled 4 stroke? --L*64

Back