Ohio new machine tax? WTH.

snoop250

PR Member
I bought a new Arctic cat utv a couple weeks ago, went to title it today. The girl at the registrar's office informed me I had to pay tax on the MSRP of the vehicle, not the actual sale price. Has anybody ever had this happen to them? She said the state doesn't recognize rebates and incentives deducted off msrp. Cost me an extra $199.00. Do they do this on all new vehicles or maybe just recreational. Bikes / Quads? Bought a new Grizzly in 2005 and don't remember it being like that. How can they charge you tax on money that wasn't even spent? This is out of control.

That has always been my complaint on the "Core sale" tax on auto parts.

You pay a core charge when you pick up your new part, then when you return your bad "core" part, and they refund back to you the "core charge" amount, minus tax's taken out.

One of many bullshit tax's!

yeah i thought i did as well. however i know from recent truck purchase that rebates dont come off. I guess it all depends on how the dealer writes it up....

I've only paid tax on what I paid for the bikes.

6283.50 out the door for my 13 yz 450.
Tax was 383.50, sale price on bike was 5900....

Or else I would of paid tax on 8699? That would of been 565, not 383.... Must be how the dealer writes it up?

doing this an a tricorder for thst time...
All those are taxable no matter how the dealer write it. MSRP has nothing to do with it.
If it's a rebate-ish thing it's taxed

Anybody know anything about "use" tax?

I've heard where after the initial tax is paid when it transferred that's considered use tax which consumers aren't liable for...

I think we are not getting all the info here in the OP.

If you bought the Arctic Cat NEW, why didn't the dealer collect the tax and take care of the title work? The only vehicles I've had to go into the title office for are vehicles bought used or from out of state.

Bought in Pa. I live in Ohio. Written up as Price: $13,099 Factory promo: -$800 Discount: Price match from a competing dealer: -$1623 Invoice total $10,676 Delivered to home address customer to pay Ohio sales tax. Charged me tax on the $13,099.

Ick. Sorry man. That sucks.

Tax when we make it. Tax when we spend it. Tax when we don't spend it. Yet govt is still broke. Can't give them much more. Sheesh.

Back