Looking for advice

Over 50 my first time on a motocross track.

As the others said hold your line and don't try to move over to get out of a faster rider's way and you will be fine. If you try to avoid them or to get out of their way, you are likely moving right into the line they picked to get around you. I have NEVER had anyone get on me about having to pass me (practice or in races) and almost everyone will be very supportive, friendly, and offer good advice.

I rode on a farm and on trails as a kid but never a track. I find a freshly prepped track really difficult - especially when tilled deep, something about the loose dirt, so I tend to wait until a track is ridden on a bit and the ruts/lines are more solid. The plus is at the end of the day the tracks are less crowded too.

You are going to crash, you might get hurt, but rehabbing is part of the experience.

I race Post Vintage and love it. Get some track time then get an old bike and join us. The anticipation and thrill of lining up at the gate and racing is hard to describe but oh sooooo fun!!!

You won't piss anyone off, except a few jerk wad 19 year olds who aren't going anywhere in moto--but think they are. Blow em off. Get out there and have fun! Enter and exit track at safe places and use hand signals when doing so. Rest of the time hold your line, no cross overs and you'll be just fine. Welcome!
I think most of those guys ride at Apple cabin lol

You wont tick anyone off just go and have fun with it. dont worry about the other people if they get mad at you. just hold your line and take it easy.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're in good company Motodad23, there are many on here (myself included) that began in their later years.

We are going to Beans Saturday. Its a pretty aggressive track but there's lots of woods too. I'm 42 and my friends are old too some 50+. Everybody come to Beans!
Well I lost not be your friend anymore cuz I'm not old! They grey hairs lie!!!

I wish. Only coming into to town to carry my grandma to her final resting place and a little time with my kids then back to Oklahoma and the center of the oil industry

Thanks guys. The kids are currently passed out in the couch. Have t seen them in several weeks. All is good in my world. Meow

Well I made my first track ride this past weekend. Went to briarcliff on Sunday and rode the kids track lol jk. I rode the c track while my son got faster on the AB track. I didn't really jump anything figured I would play it safe and work on turns and handling ruts. Not sure where I'll try next but I know Im hooked and can't wait to do it again.

If you ever want tips on how to conquer BC just ask me or my dad. It's fairly simple. And we got it down to a specific weekend day at roughly the same time every year. Around 1pm....total annihilation my friend...totally.

Back