YZ suspension interchangability

sturd

PR Addict
Anybody know if the suspension from a 2015 YZ250F will fit on a 2011 YZ450F?

We can get a deal on one but only if our 250's dirt track suspension will fit it.
It looks like the rear shock reservoir on the 2011 450 is meant to clear the loopy
pipe - it sticks out sideways. Will our vertical reservoir shock fit?

I'm assuming the forks fit. Anybody know for sure?

So what's the plan with the 450? New class for someone to race?

The only experience I have with the YZ 450 suspension is the 2009 stuff that's on my 2006 YZ 250. A worn front axle made this year's GP season interesting and difficult. This year's races were basically all mudders and with the wet weather I rode the 250 almost exclusively at the races. I thought I was just old and loosing my balance and didn't discover the real problem until I actually had a bearing go bad. With the new bearings in the wheel I placed the axle through to find there was still a lot of play. But with the axle mounted and tightened to specs the play wasn't detectable, the front wheel seemed solid. Solid that is until I tried to ride and the front wheel was still climbing out of every rut, tracking with every surface irregularity and generally trying to throw me over the bars (that happened way too much this year). With a new axle installed, I have a new bike that sure is easy to ride when it goes where I want it to. I'm still regaining confidence riding but I believe riding with an unruly front end this year actually made me a better rider. It's good to know that I'm not just old and totally loosing it anyway.

2015-11-20 10.37.22.jpg

The scorched and scored side of the axle is where the bearing went bad but the other end is just as worn. The 2009 (next design fork) 450 axle is shorter than the same diameter 2006 250 axle that it replaced. That along with a stronger Honda front brake and rotor may have contributed the axle wear. The new YZ 450F has a larger diameter axle and bearings. So maybe Yamaha also dicovered that there was a problem?

Anyway, now that my old, updated 2006 YZ 250, better than the 2016 250 is fixed, it's probably the best handling bike I've ever had. Even more fun now than my 2006 YZ 125 and I didn't think that was possible.

Boy moving up from 250 to 450. 'Prolly a lot of local pro flat track races in
his future, between studying.

Reactions: k01
Nice! If you get a chance, snap some pics and show us how to make a dirt track bike.

Not much to show/tell. Take off the MX suspension and wheels and put on the dirt track suspension
and wheels. Replace the footpegs with rubber ones, steel shoes won't stay on metal pegs. Lower
the rear brake pedal as far as possible. Put on your graphics and go.

We moved from a 2015 250 to a 2014 450 so everything bolted on.

First pic shows difference in length of the MX versus DT forks. Those are both
at the same place on top. DT are much stiffer too.
yz450 2.jpg

yz450.jpg

Did you have to sacrifice your 2015 250F supension for modification or is this dirt track suspension set entirely separate, leaving you with all of your original stock suspension components? That 250F in motocross form would be fine bike just to have around.

We modded the brand new 250 when we got it. That stuff is now on the 450 I just bought used. The 450 stuff is now on the 250 so
yes, I have a new motocrosser. A whole season of practices, races, amateur nationals and the 250 only
has 20 hours on it. Dirt track is really easy on (stock) bikes.

Back